Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 06:25 AM

784 posts, read 729,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I use TenantBackgroundSearch.com. There are 3 different versions that give different depths of data. I use the 2nd one that gives a FICO score, a credit report with all accounts, past address, employment, yada....

Don't hesitate to use 2 separate services if you think it's necessary. The reports are only $20 - $40 each. Cheap insurance.
Credit score is bar far the number oine indicator for a successful LL experience.

What do they give you in terms of criminal record? National or County level checks? Do they go to the counties where the person lived in the past 7 years? Or just the current one?

National criminal background checks are worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 06:48 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
Credit score is bar far the number oine indicator for a successful LL experience.

What do they give you in terms of criminal record? National or County level checks? Do they go to the counties where the person lived in the past 7 years? Or just the current one?

National criminal background checks are worthless.
Nationwide Criminal Database. Anything that shows up has a case#, a brief description, final disposition and they name the court. You can directly contact that court for any specific case info/reports. I've had cases come up on the report that were over 10 years old, and I do know that a generic nationwide report is sketchy, but it's at least something to go on.

I do my own court records search (depending on the state and how available the info is) and anything else that I can think of in addition to the comprehensive report. But as far as a packet of basic info, the service I spoke of is pretty good IME.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Nationwide Criminal Database. Anything that shows up has a case#, a brief description, final disposition and they name the court. You can directly contact that court for any specific case info/reports. I've had cases come up on the report that were over 10 years old, and I do know that a generic nationwide report is sketchy, but it's at least something to go on.

I do my own court records search (depending on the state and how available the info is) and anything else that I can think of in addition to the comprehensive report. But as far as a packet of basic info, the service I spoke of is pretty good IME.
You will find (some) 10-year old case on a National Check, but not 2 year old cases. Some states do not provide misdemeanors, or felonies pleaded down to a misdemeanor. Some send the information late. Some cities and counties do not send it at all. None send open or "Dismissed with conditions" cases.

Find a service that give county level checks. If a credit score is 700+, there are generally no criminal issues.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Find a service that give county level checks. If a credit score is 700+, there are generally no criminal issues.
I agree. Congruency with others aspects of a search tells a better story. Even if someone had a felony 5 years ago, but is current on their credit accounts and employment is stable, who cares what they did 5 years ago?

Old 03-30-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I agree. Congruency with others aspects of a search tells a better story. Even if someone had a felony 5 years ago, but is current on their credit accounts and employment is stable, who cares what they did 5 years ago?
Maybe the neighbors in the next apartment that you are trying to keep might care?

It depends on the crime, and what the person has been doing for five years. If they were clean due to the fact they were incarcerated, that is a problem.

I go back 10 years for major crimes, five years for any crimes. Too many (3 in 5 years) driving without a license, no insurance, Disorderly conduct, etc. shows me you do not need to follow rules (in your own mind).

Just one, "Giving False Name to the Police" will bump you in my application process.

Before a LL even takes an application, they should know what criteria they are willing to accept. Far too many LLs just go by a "gut feel", and get lucky. Fortunately, for property investors like myself, they often get burned and want to run away from a bad property. I have had bad properties become my biggest profitability centers.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe the neighbors in the next apartment that you are trying to keep might care?

It depends on the crime, and what the person has been doing for five years. If they were clean due to the fact they were incarcerated, that is a problem.

I go back 10 years for major crimes, five years for any crimes. Too many (3 in 5 years) driving without a license, no insurance, Disorderly conduct, etc. shows me you do not need to follow rules (in your own mind).

Just one, "Giving False Name to the Police" will bump you in my application process.

Before a LL even takes an application, they should know what criteria they are willing to accept. Far too many LLs just go by a "gut feel", and get lucky. Fortunately, for property investors like myself, they often get burned and want to run away from a bad property. I have had bad properties become my biggest profitability centers.
When you see a clear difference from the felony period to the present, IE evidence of a clean and stable individual, why let a clean stable and presumably responsible tenant go to another LL? I have no personal responsibility to further 'punish' a past mistake. An applicant's background and current record is examined and I make a good business decision. If I have doubts I may require an increased security to deposit or add certain terms and conditions to the agreement, but blindly turning someone away over a past transgression is over-stepping my personal authority and is a poor way to operate a business.

And OF COURSE if the applicant in question has maintained a sub-par record they're rejected. Purely based on business risks - not because I'm some self-appointed warden.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
When you see a clear difference from the felony period to the present, IE evidence of a clean and stable individual, why let a clean stable and presumably responsible tenant go to another LL?

I have no personal responsibility to further 'punish' a past mistake. An applicant's background and current record is examined and I make a good business decision. If I have doubts I may require an increased security to deposit or add certain terms and conditions to the agreement, but blindly turning someone away over a past transgression is over-stepping my personal authority and is a poor way to operate a business.

And OF COURSE if the applicant in question has maintained a sub-par record they're rejected. Purely based on business risks - not because I'm some self-appointed warden.
Everyone, once they are out of prison and no longer on probation, has paid for their mistake.

The difference is that I have clearly defined written acceptance criteria. HUD could file a lawsuit against a LL that simply said "No Felonies", as that is no longer acceptable. If you have different criteria for different applicants, that is an issue too.

I let plenty of tenants walk away, there are plenty more of them waiting. AND, you can always increase demand by lowering price. If I have a group of 10 prospects, and only one is bad but I do not know which one, I would rather pass on the entire bunch. If I have doubts about someone, I pass. I owe it to my other tenants not to bring a person they may be uncomfortable with into my building. If there was a problem with the past criminal person, I suspect that I could also be sued by existing tenants that had the issue.

Credit score, to me, is a lot more important than criminal record. However, you need to have a proven clean background for several years.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 360 times
Default Great solution for screening

TenantMagic.net Credit, criminal and eviction. Applicant pays. Great customer service. You invite an applicant with an email. The applicant invites co-apps. You are notified when they all finish. Reports available in about 5 minutes after the last applicant finishes identity verification. Applicants are instructed to notify TenantMagic if they have any issues.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne675 View Post
TenantMagic.net Credit, criminal and eviction. Applicant pays. Great customer service. You invite an applicant with an email. The applicant invites co-apps. You are notified when they all finish. Reports available in about 5 minutes after the last applicant finishes identity verification. Applicants are instructed to notify TenantMagic if they have any issues.
Do they do county level criminal checks? Appears to be YES. For all counties the applicants live in for the past seven years? Not sure.

Do they give a FICO score to you? A score, maybe not FICO. Do they check past LLs or employers to do income verification? No.

I looked up a few answers and updated my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting