Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:58 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,308,366 times

Advertisements

Hi,
renter skipped last month's payment (just picked up and left while i was away on vacation). he told me to 'just use the deposit to cover it', which is against the terms of our contract. Problem is that he did more damage to the condo than the deposit covered. and now he's in a different state....

anyway, long story short, can i report him to the Credit Bureaus for non payment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 11:14 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,393,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Hi,
renter skipped last month's payment (just picked up and left while i was away on vacation). he told me to 'just use the deposit to cover it', which is against the terms of our contract. Problem is that he did more damage to the condo than the deposit covered. and now he's in a different state....

anyway, long story short, can i report him to the Credit Bureaus for non payment?
I think you should go after him. File a notice to quit for eviction for non payment of rent. I am sure that is in your lease. Go to court for eviction proceedings. He won't show up at the hearing since he's in another state. The judge will rule in your favor and the court will go after him. Now whether you get compensated is another thing.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:15 AM

106,964 posts, read 109,241,493 times
Quote:
Hi,

you need to be a member of that bureau to report .

Old 07-16-2019, 11:18 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,393,458 times
Judgement against an individual are reported to the credit bureaus, no?

Old 07-16-2019, 11:39 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,848,446 times
Unless your a member of a particular credit reporting service, you can not just simply file a report.

If you file a case against him in small calims or any other court and manage to get a judgment, the credit bureaus will pick up the judment from the court.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:51 AM

34,138 posts, read 83,155,982 times
Quote:
renter skipped ...
It happens.
Be very happy that you have regained control of the property so that it can be re-rented soon.
Go about the business of cleaning and fixing and advertising etc and get cash coming in again.
Consider what questions you might ask differently now.

You can also pursue a claim for damages and likely get that into a judgment.
Maybe you'll even see some money someday.

For the first one? Hire a LL oriented RE attorney to run the paper and watch closely.
But that all comes after you know what the loss/costs actually add up to.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:06 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,308,366 times
Thanks everyone. sounds like this may be more trouble than it's worth.
I've listed the property for sale.....I'm Done being a landlord. 10 years is enough. lol

I will not be filing a 1031 as i won't be rolling the proceeds into another investment property....so i'll have to pay the gains taxes...i know....but honestly, i'm happy to be rid of this place and the tenants that i had to deal with. anyway, thanks for your help and if you have any tax-saving advice for me, please let me know. Condo is currently under contract. ;-)

Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM

34,138 posts, read 83,155,982 times
Quote:
... and if you have any tax-saving advice for me, please let me know.
Keep close track of all the repair work and other make ready costs.
Most sellers have to eat those expenses.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:55 PM

784 posts, read 733,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Judgement against an individual are reported to the credit bureaus, no?
Yes. The companies use the judgements in their credit score analysis.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,639,819 times
Quote:
Hi,

Fix your property to get cash flow. Keep track of all repairs that are due to the tenant damaging things. Make sure you follow your state law for end of lease stuff. Of you have to send a itemized letter with charges within x days do it. If he owes you send a demand letter. You need to anyway. If he did not give proper notice you’re looking at a lot more things. You’ll need to file for nonpayment of rent and eviction. Not sure if tenant gave notice or just left.

Forget the report to credit bureau. Take the tenant to court. Get a judgement against him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting