Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 03:44 PM

14,585 posts, read 23,152,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
^^^^^^^Wow, didn't know this. Thanks for the info. You have that link?
Here you go: https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-e...credit-report/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 10:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,681,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Suing someone who is out of state isn't generally worth it. You have to properly serve them while they are in-state in order to have the case heard in-state. Even if you did serve them in state any defendant has the option of relocating the case to their jurisdiction. Because they aren't in state though you really need to sue them where they live, serve them there, and show up in person the day of your hearing(s). Even if you did, for some stupid reason the court overlooked, sue and win your judgment has no teeth without having it relocated to the new state you couldn't garnish wages or anything of that nature.

Having said all that I'd find out the statute of limitations, 6 years here in AZ, and check in on them every so often to see if they have moved back.

If you just want to track them down contact a local process server or find a company online to perform a skip trace.
I disagree with this. A lawsuit is filed where the business transaction took place. The person suing doesn't have to chase down the defendant, if the defendant has moved to a different jurisdiction and then file wherever the defendant flees. That would be completely unreasonable and the law is all about what is "reasonable." That is always the key word.

So, Defendants can't relocate a lawsuit to a different jurisdiction at whim.

This would also apply if the landlord lived in a different state and the rental was in a different state. The landlord wouldn't get to sue someone in their own state, if their business contract was for a rental in a different state.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:32 AM

233 posts, read 137,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
that really sucks...
does that mean judgement will not affect mortgage/car loan/credit card application?

Old 07-18-2019, 08:02 AM

8,101 posts, read 10,150,923 times
Good luck. Premises in fair condition after tenant moved out? Let it go.

Sadly, too many landlords are jerks and find some silly reason to hold back the deposit money, so a lot of tenants apply the deposit to their last months rent. I know I would never pay the last month just because of shady landlords pulling this stunt.

If the place is in good shape (no EXCESS wear and tear), do what ever maintenance is required, do the floors, paint the walls, have the place exterminated and get it sold.

As much as you might wish to inflict harm on the previous tenant, he is long gone and you are just creating aggravation for yourself. The court is going to ask you if you are "whole" if you file, and unless you lie, the judge will say then "what is the issue"?

Move along. You'll be better off for it.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:14 AM

4,121 posts, read 2,447,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Good luck. Premises in fair condition after tenant moved out? Let it go.

Sadly, too many landlords are jerks and find some silly reason to hold back the deposit money, so a lot of tenants apply the deposit to their last months rent. I know I would never pay the last month just because of shady landlords pulling this stunt.

If the place is in good shape (no EXCESS wear and tear), do what ever maintenance is required, do the floors, paint the walls, have the place exterminated and get it sold.

As much as you might wish to inflict harm on the previous tenant, he is long gone and you are just creating aggravation for yourself. The court is going to ask you if you are "whole" if you file, and unless you lie, the judge will say then "what is the issue"?

Move along. You'll be better off for it.
Seems like you are a jerk tenant that thinks nothing wrong with disregarding the letter of a lease. You can't just take off because you feel like it. At least give the LL notice. Follow the contract, for christ sakes. I will go a step further. What if me, the LL, just went on a month vacation to Europe without telling you, the tenant. An emergency happened, i.e, fire, clogged drain, blackout, etc. No property manager. You left with your own devices. I guess I should have that attitude as well. Good luck! LL are contractually obligated to remedy such maladies. You as a tenant are contractually obligated to hold up your end of the bargain as well. Hence, take this clown to court. Find judgement against this person so it follows him to the ends of the earth!

Old 07-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I disagree with this. A lawsuit is filed where the business transaction took place. The person suing doesn't have to chase down the defendant, if the defendant has moved to a different jurisdiction and then file wherever the defendant flees. That would be completely unreasonable and the law is all about what is "reasonable." That is always the key word.

So, Defendants can't relocate a lawsuit to a different jurisdiction at whim.

This would also apply if the landlord lived in a different state and the rental was in a different state. The landlord wouldn't get to sue someone in their own state, if their business contract was for a rental in a different state.
Venue is a complicated thing, but AZ is actually right on this one. Usually once someone has left a state, that state loses jurisdiction over them after a certain amount of time. There are ways around it (long arm statutes and the like) but even then the judgment would need to be domesticated to the state where the defendant currently resides. It is generally easier and more expedient to file where the defendant is located, even if it is possible to file in the home state.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chao View Post
that really sucks...
does that mean judgement will not affect mortgage/car loan/credit card application?
Nope, unless those entities are going through public records themselves. Mortgage lenders might, but thats about it.

Honestly this was a HUGE win for consumers. The credit bureaus were simply being too sloppy with the reporting on judgments and far too many people were ending up with incorrect information on their reports because of it.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:03 PM

34,203 posts, read 83,388,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Seems like you (the tenant of the OP?) are a jerk tenant ...
Perhaps. But just as likely to just be a regular joe who just needed to move on...
and had a jerk LL who attempted to impose all sorts of officious contractural weight/obligation onto them.
Sound familiar?

As I read the OP... the problem seems to be rooted in damages that hadn't been observed/documented
and then charged to the tenant in a timely manner ...
Or maybe that was actually just common turnover W&T being mis-characterized as damage.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:01 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,681,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Venue is a complicated thing, but AZ is actually right on this one. Usually once someone has left a state, that state loses jurisdiction over them after a certain amount of time. There are ways around it (long arm statutes and the like) but even then the judgment would need to be domesticated to the state where the defendant currently resides. It is generally easier and more expedient to file where the defendant is located, even if it is possible to file in the home state.
You're complicating this when it's not complicated.

Most, if not all, small claims courts will allow you to sue someone who lived in your state and created a contract with you in your state, even after they move to another state.

Without making this sound really complicated by going into a bunch of arguments about jurisdiction, OP, all you have to do is go to your state's small claims court's website or call them or swing by the clerk's office and ask them if you can file a small claims court action against a tenant who moved out of state.

Odds are very, very good the answer will be yes.

And then, when the tenant doesn't show up in court, you can get a judgment. With the judgment, you can hire a collector. A collection will show on a credit report, even if a judgment from the courts no longer will.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:16 AM

4,121 posts, read 2,447,010 times
^^^^^This is interesting. I guess the tenant advocates will cry foul. "Oh, this is a litigious nation." Oh, i like this one. "You slumlords are sue happy." Fact of the matter is owners have to vigorously protect their interests. Even if it involves legal action which is usually the case when a tenant decides to make their own rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting