Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2020, 10:31 AM

415 posts, read 371,651 times

Advertisements

Just for fun! I wondered what the weirdest thing has happened to you whether it be finding out some weird feedback about a rental which made you disinterested in it, or when living in a rental and having a weird landlord.

I am looking at rental houses and this is much harder than I thought. Two of the rentals were actually SCAMS. Apparently some people will list the rental, try and collect app fee and deposit and then disappear. My realtor looked up the properties and the tax information didn't add up and showed the homes were still owned by the builder. I had actually contacted one of them and they said it was for move in as early as this week, but told someone else it wasn't available until September. I got a weird vibe and gave up on that one and we reported them.

The next one wasn't particularly weird but just an odd situation. They had a current owner who was selling to someone else. The current owner was allowing rental apps and people to tour the home but the person they were selling to wasn't closing until the end of this month, but would be the landlord. I guess they wanted someone setup before they even owned the home, but it seemed too uncertain so I didn't go for that one!

With the next one the landlord planned to move back into the property after 8 months and didn't tell us until we asked why the lease was only 8 months. Didn't feel like moving again in 8 months so abandoned that one also!

I haven't looked for a rental in so long so maybe this stuff is part of the norm, but I start out with about 5 potentials each week and by the time we find out the back info there is something that makes it a no go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting