Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 12:43 PM

4,044 posts, read 2,387,986 times

Advertisements

^^^^You sound like more trouble than it's worth for you to be my tenant. Good luck with the landlord that has you as a tenant. I doubt that you pay on time and you probably complain about a fly in your food. Like that's the landlord's fault. And, yes, I am better than you because I own and you rent. The roof over your head is what I pay for. If you can do better, prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 01:03 PM

27,674 posts, read 28,766,428 times
It's been more than 2 years since I posted here.

I still have the same rental property and the same tenant. He has somewhat of an abrasive personality, but I guess I'm okay with it since he always pays the rent on time.

I recently replaced the carpet on an entire floor with laminate. I think it was 750 square feet.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:09 PM

2,334 posts, read 1,547,013 times
In Australia about 20% of households own an investment property, as we do, and state government regulations are tight. Thus people do not seem to “hate” landlords as so many people are landlords themselves.

We currently have an excellent property manager who manages our properties and he knows the regulations inside out, applying both ways. As a result we have cooperative tenants. Would never self manage, not worth the money saved.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:42 PM

13,907 posts, read 8,092,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've had landlords snoop around my place when I was gone
Without proper notice it's illegal to enter.

Quote:
not get back to me for repairs,
How long do you usually wait?

Quote:
screw me over on deposits when it was spotless upon moving out.
That's often subjective and why I (a) take a video of the property (inside/out) the day before move-in. (B) On the day of the move I have tenants fill out an inspection sheet while the property is empty. When they are finished (sometimes 20 minutes sometimes 90) they call me, and I return. If there are any issues, we can talk before we both sign the inspection report.

Quote:
do not understand how relocating works (they couldn't grasp that I was moving from out of town),
I won't rent to anyone without meeting them first and giving them a chance to see the property. If you're out of state, you'll still need to fly over.

Quote:
refuse to answer their phone in their offices
Property management company or owner?

Quote:
charge late fees on rent paid early.
Over twenty years renting property and over ten PM companies... never hear of a tenant being charged late fees on rent paid early.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:44 PM

13,907 posts, read 8,092,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
^^^^You sound like more trouble than it's worth for you to be my tenant. .
In my experience 90% of all problems can be avoided if the landlord/tenant are on the same page before the lease is signed.

Which is why I insist on meeting with applicants at the property before renting to them. This gives them a chance to see the house.

As I mentioned the other day, I personally make sure the property is rent-ready. If they aren’t happy with something or want me to make changes let’s talk now.

Another reason for meeting applicants is so they realize it will be me that will be coming over when they call.

If they plan to break the *lease agreement by sneaking in another person or pet it’s best, they go somewhere else. Because I will find out.

*When I took over my 7 SHF in 2019 from property management I noticed people in the homes not authorized to live there as well as pets not allowed.

After a few months I started giving out a 60-day notice. I explained I was considering my options, which included selling and would be taking back the home which, I did.

Last edited by john3232; 11-21-2023 at 02:04 PM..

Old 11-21-2023, 02:22 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,989,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
^^^^You sound like more trouble than it's worth for you to be my tenant. Good luck with the landlord that has you as a tenant. I doubt that you pay on time and you probably complain about a fly in your food. Like that's the landlord's fault. And, yes, I am better than you because I own and you rent. The roof over your head is what I pay for. If you can do better, prove it.
Read my posts. I'm not renting anymore. Are people blind and illiterate on this thread?

Old 11-21-2023, 06:12 PM

30,253 posts, read 11,879,363 times
Quote:
When the hell did I say any of this? Shut up and quit making assumptions.
When did I say anything about you? I explained why landlords don't respect their tenants. Interesting you took it personally.

Old 11-22-2023, 08:26 AM

2,100 posts, read 1,030,246 times
The awful attitude I see here is why when my current tenant leaves my one ADU I will turn it into my personal home office.

Old 11-22-2023, 08:38 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,387,986 times
Quote:
Read my posts. I'm not renting anymore. Are people blind and illiterate on this thread?
:::snicker::: Sure, you're not renting anymore. I don't believe you! Hit the bricks, deadbeat! I am sure you're used to hearing that.

Old 11-24-2023, 12:00 PM

10,362 posts, read 8,603,856 times
Quote:
Based on how you’ve interacts with people on this thread I’m inclined to believe you might be the problem in all the landlord tenant relations you’ve had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting