Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 05:04 PM

30,183 posts, read 11,821,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
I often see on social media people hating on landlords and never really understood that. Nobody is stopping someone from buying a home. You either can't afford to buy, don't want to buy or are too lazy to buy, either way the landlord is providing you a home which you have to pay for.

It just seems like such a simple concept and I don't understand the hate. If you're unhappy with your specific landlord then move somewhere else.
Its easier to gripe about things than actually do something about the situation.

If you don't own a home your hate landlords. If you don't own a business you hate your job and your boss. Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 05:19 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
good luck finding a place to live without them using their money and choosing to invest , so you have a roof over your head .

what a stupid , ignorant ,general comment to make ,and i am not a landlord
I own a home so not an issue. If I have to rent I'll deal with them but it won't change my opinion on the vermin that they are.

Old 11-20-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I own a home so not an issue. If I have to rent I'll deal with them but it won't change my opinion on the vermin that they are.
Why are they vermin? Because they don't let you live rent free on THEIR property?

Old 11-20-2023, 05:50 PM

106,742 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Why are they vermin? Because they don't let you live rent free on THEIR property?
it must be kefir’s alter ego from the nyc forum . he has hatred for landlords just because

Old 11-20-2023, 07:21 PM

13,781 posts, read 8,019,999 times
I retired four years ago and today manage my rental property in the Phoenix metro.

I agree it's not easy to make ends meet for a lot of people. Four dollars for a gallon of gas. The cost of food through the roof. What to do? That's up to the individual. As a landlord I often get a glimpse at what people buy and the debt they are carrying. Here in Phoenix metro trucks are popular. I suspect many are bought as a status symbol and if it's not a truck it's an SUV. Great assuming you can afford the cost. Credit cards? Not usual to see at least 10k in credit card debt. I rarely see medical bills although from time to time I do see student loan debt.

This year I accepted a renter who filed for bankruptcy several years ago, so her credit score wasn't good. However, she earns 75k a year and the income verified. She was renting from an owner who is selling the home. He told me there were no problems with the woman, but you can never be sure.

This woman paid a pro-rated rent for June on the 21st along with one month deposit. She asked if she could pay July rent on the 1st instead of with the pro-rated June rent. I said O.K. Again, her verified income showed she could afford the rent. No evictions and nothing out of the ordinary outside credit card debt and a car loan.

July 1st, she didn't pay.

I texted her on the 2nd, Can you please check your banking? I haven't received the rent. Thanks John

She didn't respond until the next day and said moving expenses and recent car trouble left her short and could she pay this Thursday?

I responded, O.k., but I have sent you a five-day notice for non-payment. Per our lease agreement overdue rent must be paid by certified check or money order. The late fee is $25 per day. No partial payment will be accepted. Please let me know when you want me to come by and pick up the certified check or money order. Thank you.

She replied, "My son is in the ER and I'm under a lot of stress. Am I being evicted?

I said, No, I just need to be sure the rent is promptly paid each month. I'm under a lot of financial pressure. The July rent needs to be paid within five days after receiving notice being sent by certified mail.

She said, I will pay it Thursday for sure.

I said, Thank you.

Again, this is a new tenant. If she was going to be a week late in paying the rent, she should have contacted me. The fact she didn't makes me nervous which is why spelled out the terms of our agreement.

Thursday came and went. No rent and no call.
So, I texted her Saturday morning to explain I was moving forward with an eviction on Monday if I didn't receive the rent plus late fees.

All communication is through texting, and I keep a complete copy of the text thread from start to finish. No misunderstanding as to who wrote what.

The woman felt I was not showing her respect by not agreeing to wait longer for the rent. I explained I’m sorry, but I've got bills to pay and can’t wait.

She paid July rent plus late fees that Saturday afternoon and was never late again.

Now, I make sure my rental properties are in good condition before move in. But this is AZ, so the AC is running 24/7 for five months straight. I have the units inspected every April before the start of summer.

If a unit does do down in the middle of summer, I have by law ten days to make the repair. However, I can get usually get the unit fixed within 1-2 days. But, to smooth things over I tell my tenants, "You don't have to pay rent for each day the AC isn't working." This helps keep the peace.

In turn I expect the rent to be paid on time. If not move to evict on the 10th.

Last edited by john3232; 11-20-2023 at 08:18 PM..

Old 11-20-2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, because I expect to live rent free. Way to put words in my mouth. Every landlord I've rented from has treated their tenants like absolute garbage. They think they're better than everyone and own their tenants. And no, I've never trashed a place and have always paid rent on time.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:27 PM

13,781 posts, read 8,019,999 times
Quote:
Every landlord I've rented from has treated their tenants like absolute garbage.
Can you be specific about what was done to you?

Quote:
They think they're better than everyone and own their tenants.
What was said that made you feel this way?

Old 11-21-2023, 02:59 AM

106,742 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

i think the doctor phil forum down the hall would be a better choice for them

Old 11-21-2023, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Yes, because I expect to live rent free. Way to put words in my mouth. Every landlord I've rented from has treated their tenants like absolute garbage. They think they're better than everyone and own their tenants. And no, I've never trashed a place and have always paid rent on time.
They probably are better than their tenants. Duh. They are probably not living in your building. And with your attitude issues not surprised they don't like you. You are like the folks who hate the police and when pulled over have an attitude and make things far more difficult than necessary and blame the cops for that.

I have not rented anyplace from close to 15 years. And that was when I was setting up fundraising offices in various cities around the country. I had a home then and rental properties so I could relate to them I suppose better. Besides that I helped my mom get set up in apartments for her more recently. I always looked for properties where the property owner managed the real estate. Never had a bad experience. But its how you carry yourself, you stature in life, etc that garners respect. As someone who has been a landlord myself I get where they come from and not one to bother them over every little problem and show them respect. I actually explain all of that and its amazing how they warm up to you. I have conversations with them, understanding where they are coming from and you can make friends with them that way. But if you come into it with the attitude that they are an adversary, they will be. People who struggle keeping jobs have that attitude about their employer. I am sure those same people don't like their landlord either. Nothing is ever their fault. Its always bad landlords, bad bosses, bad cops,etc.

If you are just some character bouncing from place to place barely getting by. Why would they think much of you? You are just an average tenant that they are forced to deal with all day long. And they have to deal with being bothered over every little thing. And tenants who trash units and take advantage of any kindness giving by their landlord. Yes they think they are better than their tenants because they are not the kind of person who plays games that many of their tenants do.

Maybe you are better than that. But they are going to assume the worst until proven otherwise.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 11-21-2023 at 06:05 AM..

Old 11-21-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
They probably are better than their tenants. Duh. They are probably not living in your building. And with your attitude issues not surprised they don't like you. You are like the folks who hate the police and when pulled over have an attitude and make things far more difficult than necessary and blame the cops for that.

I have not rented anyplace from close to 15 years. And that was when I was setting up fundraising offices in various cities around the country. I had a home then and rental properties so I could relate to them I suppose better. Besides that I helped my mom get set up in apartments for her more recently. I always looked for properties where the property owner managed the real estate. Never had a bad experience. But its how you carry yourself, you stature in life, etc that garners respect. As someone who has been a landlord myself I get where they come from and not one to bother them over every little problem and show them respect. I actually explain all of that and its amazing how they warm up to you. I have conversations with them, understanding where they are coming from and you can make friends with them that way. But if you come into it with the attitude that they are an adversary, they will be. People who struggle keeping jobs have that attitude about their employer. I am sure those same people don't like their landlord either. Nothing is ever their fault. Its always bad landlords, bad bosses, bad cops,etc.

If you are just some character bouncing from place to place barely getting by. Why would they think much of you? You are just an average tenant that they are forced to deal with all day long. And they have to deal with being bothered over every little thing. And tenants who trash units and take advantage of any kindness giving by their landlord. Yes they think they are better than their tenants because they are not the kind of person who plays games that many of their tenants do.

Maybe you are better than that. But they are going to assume the worst until proven otherwise.
When the hell did I say any of this? Shut up and quit making assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

I've had landlords snoop around my place when I was gone, not get back to me for repairs, screw me over on deposits when it was spotless upon moving out, not understand how relocating works (they couldn't grasp that I was moving from out of town), refuse to answer their phone in their offices, and charge late fees on rent paid early. That's just off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting