Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 08:53 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times

Advertisements

I've got an application in on an apartment and I've never dealt with this level of thoroughness before. I've lived in about 8 different apartments over the years and usually I just send over a copy of my ID, one or two recent pay stubs and then they call me in a day or two and say it's approved.

The landlord is requesting an employment verification from both my current employer AND from my previous employer 4 years ago (no idea why they even need this since I don't work there anymore). They are also requesting rental history forms to be completed by my previous landlord and the one before that. Apparently they check rental history for the last 5 years.

I've never had a landlord contact my previous landlord before. Usually they just do a background check that would include any court processed evictions.

My only guess is that with COVID and landlords not being able to evict for so long, they are doing an extra careful job of screening out people. I guess the bright side is that this level of thoroughness means there won't be any riff raff in these apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 10:02 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've got an application in on an apartment and I've never dealt with this level of thoroughness before. I've lived in about 8 different apartments over the years and usually I just send over a copy of my ID, one or two recent pay stubs and then they call me in a day or two and say it's approved.

The landlord is requesting an employment verification from both my current employer AND from my previous employer 4 years ago (no idea why they even need this since I don't work there anymore). They are also requesting rental history forms to be completed by my previous landlord and the one before that. Apparently they check rental history for the last 5 years.
That does seem like overkill if you've worked at the same place for four years. Also seems like overkill for them to expect ex-ll's to fill a form out. I doubt anyone I've rented to would do that.

Quote:
I've never had a landlord contact my previous landlord before. Usually they just do a background check that would include any court processed evictions.

My only guess is that with COVID and landlords not being able to evict for so long, they are doing an extra careful job of screening out people. I guess the bright side is that this level of thoroughness means there won't be any riff raff in these apartments.
That's relatively common for them to call a previous LL. The form though? No so much.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Landlords do have to be more selective with the various governmental regulations preventing evictions for no-payment, but that seems too much to ask, unless it's an area where there are many more tenants than rentals, and they can afford to lose people that are not willing or able to meet those requirements.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:43 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
That's common screening techniques, minus quite a few things that other landlords are doing to screen that you haven't yet encountered.

Apparently, you've managed to go through life so far renting from landlords who aren't picky about who they rent to, since you've never encountered even halfazzzed screening before.

But yes, you are correct. If landlords are required to give over a year's rent free to deadbeats they are going to try a lot harder to keep the deadbeats out.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 07-21-2021 at 01:30 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 09:26 AM

So apparently my former landlord isn't responding at all to their requests. Not surprising considering my former LL was a mom & pop operation with very limited English skills.

I'm curious to see how they will handle my application if the landlord doesn't respond.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
........I'm curious to see how they will handle my application if the landlord doesn't respond.

I can only tell you what I would do. If I can not verify a good landlord reference, it is an automatic rejection of the applicant. Almost always if I can not verify a landlord it is because the applicant is lying about who their landlord is and trying to trick me into taking them without a reference or with a friend pretending to be their landlord.

I do phone calls to landlords and not letters or forms to prior landlords but most of the management companies will not give any information unless they receive the request in writing and they respond in writing. That might be why the place you are currently applying is doing the landlord references with a letter.

(if I get an applicant who is super well qualified and their current landlord won't respond, sometimes I will do a lot of extra work to get them qualified. But it is a pretty intensive amount of extra work and I won't do it for any applicant who is even marginally suspicious.)

Old 07-22-2021, 10:01 AM

Suggestion: if your landlord will not respond, try presenting all of your proof that you paid your rent on time every month for the past year, or year and a half. Also include an copy of the accounting for your deposit return, if you have already received it.

Possibly include copies of your move-in and move-out photos.

If your landlord will not give a reference, you might be in for a difficult time with finding a new rental.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:10 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Isnt your previous landlord your current landlord?

Old 07-22-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Isnt your previous landlord your current landlord?

No. I have been living in an AirBnB in Texas for a few months but prior to that I had an apartment in Chicago where I lived for two years. The landlord in Chicago is a mom & pop operation. It's a property management company with like two employees and their English speaking abilities are limited.

I'm aware that this is a problem for the new landlord, but it doesn't seem fair that my application will be denied because of a lousy former landlord not responding.

EDIT: So apparently they were able to get in contact with the old LL via phone. The old LL said I had paid rent on time and said he was busy and basically hung up the phone.

Last edited by lepoisson; 07-22-2021 at 10:36 AM..

Old 07-22-2021, 10:19 AM

2,367 posts, read 908,280 times
Any time you give someone's name as a reference, you should contact the reference and let them know to expect a phone call and also thank them for the help.

If you really want this apartment you need to help track down the missing landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting