Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 04:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Based on the OP, apt feels dw is not repairable, and needs to be replaced, but can't get one in due to supply problems. So they agree the old one is going to be trashed. So it makes sense to ask if they will remove it now, tenant buys one and puts in, then takes it with when he leaves. The apt would be getting extra time to replace dw when he moves. All arranged w/property mgr in writing of course.
Yes, as along as the complex agrees and it’s in writing.. I guess when you’re paying $1600 for rent you’re too good to wash dishes by hand.

If the OP chooses to this, they need to make sure they have renters insurance and make sure it would cover water damage caused by their appliance, but they will be held responsible if something happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 02:31 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Yes, as along as the complex agrees and it’s in writing.. I guess when you’re paying $1600 for rent you’re too good to wash dishes by hand.
No, not too good to wash dishes by hand...but when you rent a place with certain amenities, those amenities should be present. I have 8 rentals, and if an appliace goes out whether its a garbage disposal, icemaker, dishwasher, i think they should be replaced within a few days...a week max. I just bought a higher end stainless steel microwave for more money than a regular black one woukd cost, because it was going to take 6 weeks to get one that was the same as what was in there. And it was because the door handle was broken. Microwave still worked, but was a pain to open. The door would have needed to be replaced and that was about half the cost of a new one, and due to age of mw, it made more sense to replace whole unit.Landlords that are decent landlords don't make tenants go for months without the amenities they had when they leased, regardless of supply problems. We aren't talking about a 45.00 part on an AC unit vs replacing it with a 3500. new AC. Its probably the difference between a 400. Dishwasher and an 800.00 dw.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:55 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I guess when you’re paying $1600 for rent you’re too good to wash dishes by hand.
Like^

Old 10-05-2021, 12:35 PM

245 posts, read 503,161 times
I've had to replace the dishwasher in two of my rental houses in the last 6 months.

I had to pay more than I normally would have in the past and was limited on available models, but I did order them through Home Depot and they were delivered/installed within a week. Quite a few of what they are showing online are unavailable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting