Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 09:11 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Hi our dishwasher has been broken for last 4 months. It's a large complex the company that runs the apartment supplier has no dishwashers or fridges in stock won't for some time. They are waiting for units to open up or become available to take one from there.to replace ours.

Question is two could we just go buy a new one on our own? Also, should we ask for $50 to $100 off our rent till a new dishwasher is put in?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 09:50 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You can buy your own dishwasher if you get permission in writing and have it installed by the licensed professional plumber. Most likely, you will have to leave it there when you move out, unless you save their dishwasher in a safe place and can replace it undamaged when you leave.

No, you do not get a discount on your rent for buying your own dishwasher.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:26 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi our dishwasher has been broken for last 4 months. It's a large complex the company that runs the apartment supplier has no dishwashers or fridges in stock won't for some time. They are waiting for units to open up or become available to take one from there.to replace ours.

Question is two could we just go buy a new one on our own? Also, should we ask for $50 to $100 off our rent till a new dishwasher is put in?

Thanks!
Aren't you trying to move units anyway? Theoretically, the new unit would have a working dishwasher, no?

They're not doing nothing to try to remedy it. They have reached out to their supplier, which is where the bottleneck is. I would like to hear from some LLs on this, though. If their usual supplier has told complex it'll be months, but complex could just go down to Lowes and get one tomorrow, should they be expected to do that? What would a reasonable judge think?

But, no OP, dishwasher is not a habitability issue so no discount on the rent.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:35 AM

3,941 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Correct me if I am wrong. In PA and NJ, a LL does not have to offer a dishwasher. Only have to provide a stove. When I was renting in NJ, I only had a stove and I bought my own fridge.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:38 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
Since I'm in the home building Industry thought I'd add my thoughts. Yes Appliances are difficult to get right now, and that includes those at Lowes & Home Depot. Many older apartments have "apartment sized" appliances and those aren't stocked at the big box stores. Our supplier has had a horrible time with dishwashers and has actually started stocking extra front panels and has purchased other colors and replaced the panel to get us stainless steel appliances. My apartment complex is under construction and they have some units that won't be able to be leased until possibly after the first of the year because of appliances.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. In PA and NJ, a LL does not have to offer a dishwasher. Only have to provide a stove. When I was renting in NJ, I only had a stove and I bought my own fridge.
I don't think any LL anywhere is "required" to provide a dishwasher. However, unless otherwise stated in the lease, ANY appliances provided by LL at move in are required to be repaired/replaced by LL.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:15 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
I mean pay $1600 like to have a working dishwasher since that was expected when we leased. Reached out to their corporate office to see if we could reach out to the PM about buying a DW at Home Depot or Lowe's. See what happens with that. Next step going to reach out to the PM about taking $100 off for rent if no dishwasher.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I mean pay $1600 like to have a working dishwasher since that was expected when we leased. Reached out to their corporate office to see if we could reach out to the PM about buying a DW at Home Depot or Lowe's. See what happens with that. Next step going to reach out to the PM about taking $100 off for rent if no dishwasher.
Seriously doubt your apartment complex is buying you a $1600 dishwasher.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:44 AM

178 posts, read 82,521 times
That maybe your problem. You found 1600.00 dishwashers in stock. Instead of the basic 500.00 ones.

Check if you can get one from Box store and how long to come in. Then let LL know
If you find one you have a valid complaint. If not like a homeowner. Only have to replace in a reasonable time. What is reasonable is different with covid.

It is well known since covid there has been a shortage on appliances. And refrigerator used to take months to get one.
It has got a little better.

When I needed a dishwasher a month ago. Easy to decide which one to get. My appliance store had only the one.

Time before that was to be in within 10 days. Took over a month.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:48 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:

Let us know their response I doubt you will get approved for anything, as already stated, there is a bottleneck on all appliances right now, so they have a legitimate excuse. Also, a person can live without a dishwasher, so it's not an essential item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting