Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:08 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times

Advertisements

Loves, I feel your pain. I'm on the first floor and have two heavy set people living above me. I'm really worried the ceiling is going to cave in. I also had to at 12:30pm the other night go to my third floor neighbors and pound on their door. They had several people over, which is fine, but had all their windows open. I could hear all the screaming, yelling, whooping, etc. I banged on their door and they got real quiet. The girl asked who it was and all I said was "close your windows" and walked away. Done.

The problem is that some people will sit there and fume but not speak with the neighbors about it. You have to speak up!!!

I should be moving into a brand new house soon. Hopefully I don't end up with idiot neighbors but you never know.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:13 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Atlmburns-I hope you are not one of the lovely parents who allows their kids to run around like total maniacs in public such as restaurants, bookstores, grocery stores, etc.

Yes it is an apartment but it's not a HOME meaning it's a SHARED community and therefore there needs to be respect and boundries.

Whether you are in an apartment or a single family home, you need to be respectful of your neighbors.
Even in life in general but thats a totally different topic..

Old 05-21-2008, 07:45 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,682 times
Loveboating, while I am a parent, I was also a manager. The answer I gave you was from a management perspective. I truly don't think you will be happy living on a bottom floor no matter who lives above you. (You even complained about the childrens father stomping)

These people may honestly not be trying to be disrespectful to you. They may just not understand how heavy their steps are or how loud it really sounds to you. Perhaps if you nicely invited the parents down to listen to how loud the child's steps sound maybe they will help moderate it. But you seriously cannot expect everyone who lives above you to tiptoe across their floor to accomodate you.

If you lived at the apartments that I worked at, the property manager would ask someone to go and listen outside the upstairs neighbors door. If no noise could be heard nothing would be done. If you were truly persistent, we would write a letter asking that your neighbors not walk heavy on the floor as it would be disturbing to others. Do you really think that the people who receive that notice are going to do anything? No they laugh and act worse. Its just how people are.

Good luck to you, I hope you find the peace and quiet you are looking for.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:09 AM

294 posts, read 1,086,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Atlmburns-I hope you are not one of the lovely parents who allows their kids to run around like total maniacs in public such as restaurants, bookstores, grocery stores, etc.

Yes it is an apartment but it's not a HOME meaning it's a SHARED community and therefore there needs to be respect and boundries.

Whether you are in an apartment or a single family home, you need to be respectful of your neighbors.
Even in life in general but thats a totally different topic..
No I'm not, i am one of those neighbors that has two children and i go out of my way to make sure they do not disturb my neighbors but a two year old goes through tantrum stages and will occassionally stamp her feet, the neighbor below me bangs up to me and told me that they can play in ther bedroom if they wanted! Since when do others dictate where my children should play? Those without children demand respect and courtesy but those with children demand the same. You have no idea how stressful it is to deal with a neighbor who bangs up everytime my child drops a book or makes the slightest noise. Thus we are moving in order to get away from this, but the ironic part is the people who will be renting our apartment have two dogs and a child, no doubt they will suffer the rath of the neighbor below too!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
I've got a toddler of whom is always jumping/running/playing. I can't take her outside for very long because even with 60spf, she burns quickly. I feel a little bad for the people below me... but on another level, I don't. They've actually called the cops on us when our daughter was up at 2200 playing in her room. They harassed the management company over an oscillating fan.

Just wanted to say that it isn't 100% your neighbors fault that you can hear them so well. A lot of newer complexes are cheaping out on construction and you end up with very very very very thin walls. I can hear everything that goes on next to me - because our walls are literally cardboard and drywall.

You've got to give respect to gain respect.. but for those who don't want to deal with noise, a detached single family home is the best bet.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:52 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
You can politely talk to upstairs neighbors, but if they don't want to control the noise.......they simply WON'T do it! I talked to our Management yesterday and told him that the child upstairs was kicking the wall below the window and that it sounds like an adult is playing/chasing after the child across the floor. He really didn't like the "kicking the wall" part, but I doubt if he will talk to the grandmother or mother about that.
Listen, we do know that this child and the adults will make some noise walking around or playing, but there are times when the noise is constant. Running back and forth by the child, child kicking the wall, adult playing/running after the child with work boots on. Now, there comes a point where all people MUST (yea, right) understand that living in an apartment is a "community" thing, living in a house isn't. And, since obviously not everyone can afford to rent/buy a house, people living in apartments (with/without) kids have to respect other renters when it comes to to much noise.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times
Is the noise keeping you from sleeping? Is it interfering with your work? Can you not hear each other talking or your own radio/television/music? Most complexes have "quiet hours" from 8/10PM to 6/8AM. Is that when the noise is occuring?

We've never had a problem with noise. We can both sleep through hovering police hellicopters, a full-volume fire truck siren/horn, or harleys doing burn-outs right outside our window. Our first apartment had all three. The next one was a quiet top-floor unit, so silent it was spooky. The next one was under an airport's ascent path and we had to stop conversation occasionally during the day until the jet noise subsided. Now we're in another apartment that is as quiet as the grave. Occasionally there's a loud creak from upstairs, but I'd swear our upstairs neighbors don't do anything all day except turn over in bed once or twice. Weird.

I'd still suggest fans and earplugs if little noises like people walking or children yelling bother you. They should help you sleep, or fix watches, or whatever you're doing that requires complete silence.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
I walk "heavy". I live in a trailer. My girlfriend claims that when I walk, I shake the whole place.

So I try not to walk...because that's the only choice I really have. I can't help that I walk heavy.

With the thin walls, people standing just outside talking are LOUD to a point where we have to turn the TV way up...to a point where it can be heard outside.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
Right now it is 9PM and they just got home above us and SLAMMED their door closed......we heard it go BAM (loudly) which is not necessary. And, whoever is walking up their right now is REALLY walking heavy to the point is sounds like it is shaking our ceiling. Listen folks, we are just "dreaming" this noise up! They know we live down here, know we are home (know our vehicle (Handicap Plaque) is parked out front) and just don't care!! And, when the little girl stands at the kitchen window (right above ours) and kicks the wall below the window......we hear that LOUD AND CLEAR!!
All annoying with absolutely no respect for us!!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:06 PM

86 posts, read 190,198 times
I will never ever in my life again live in an apartment complex under someone. I feel your pain. Some people just don't care. There's this attitude going around where people feel they have the right to do whatever whenever and they don't have to account for it. This will be the downfall of many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting