Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times

Advertisements

I'm really hoping you got involved and called 911 when you heard these verbal and physical abuses going on right?????

Old 06-04-2008, 07:19 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,152 times
Several times now I've heard my neighbors having sex, I don't care what they do but when they get so loud I can't sleep then it's a problem. Sick of hearing it, I got up and put a note on their doorknob "She's faking it!!" Can't say I've heard them ever again.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:35 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,366,150 times
I'm back again. I decided to take a look at my Thread to see the newer postings. Boy, you folks have had some real problems with people in apartments!!
As I write this, both the 2 yr. old and an adult are running above me and making one heck of a lot of noise! I swear, people like this just don't care about the people that live below them. And, on top of that, the Management here won't do anything anymore. All he has told me is "This is a family complex and there will be noise." In other words, this is what Management is telling us "You are too old to live in a family complex!"
What is so funny, Management can send a Notice about noise to an apartment and if the occupants don't care about a Notice going into their Personal File, the noise continues. If the police get involved, just how much can they do? They will only talk to them and there are a lot of folks today that won't even do what the police say. There has to be an excellent reason for someone to be evicted out of an apartment and "noise" most of the time isn't a good enough reason. Another thing, apartment management today will not tell you very much (if anything at all) about who lives in their complex. If too much is said, the Law calls that "discrimination" today. Unfortunately, if I want to know the type of people that live in a complex (so I can make my own decision on if I want to rent there) is no longer an option for me. I think that is a bunch of BULL, but I don't make the laws.
One thing that is very good, the noise above us doesn't happen all day and stops at 9:30PM when the child goes to bed. Thank God!!
As far as living on the top floor of a 3-story building, most (if not all) folks in the 55 plus age group don't want to (or can't) walk up stairs.
Bottom Line, as I have read from a lot of these postings........people (adults with small children, teens, young adults and even older adults) just don't care how much noise they make in an apartment and how much it disturbs other people. You talk to these people about the noise, they apologize, but then a lot of times just keep up the noise. It's basically a "No win" situation!!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:13 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Bottom Line, as I have read from a lot of these postings........people (adults with small children, teens, young adults and even older adults) just don't care how much noise they make in an apartment and how much it disturbs other people. You talk to these people about the noise, they apologize, but then a lot of times just keep up the noise. It's basically a "No win" situation!!
Again as an adult with children, I have been in your neighbors situation. I tried to have my children be as respectful as possible to people who lived below us up to a point. I didn't allow my kids to run/jump/wrestle etc... when we lived on the second floor. Unfortunately the idiot who lived below us expected us to tiptoe across the floor. You couldn't set a box or bag on the floor without her complaining. You couldn't open the sliding patio door (made a lot of noise)without her complaining. So basically all we could do in our apt was tiptoe in the front door, go directly to the couch and sit down. Then we got to tiptoe to the kitchen (heaven forbid you accidently drop a pan) then tiptoe back to the couch. Then tiptoe to bed. Oh don't even think about showering after 9pm (pipes made a lot of noise) got a complaint for that too.

Now let me ask you would you like to live like that. We had no choice in the apt. we were given, we had no idea how thin the flooring was before we had moved in. We ended up never being home. I couldn't live like that. So you know what after 7 months of it, I quit caring. It didn't matter what we did, nothing pleased the people below us. Now I was raised to respect others, but what these people expected out of us was out of bounds. Thank goodness I live in a house now. Never ever will I subject my children or myself for that matter, to living like that again.

As for living on the third floor of apts. They do make buildings with elevators.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:32 AM

I do understand the frustration you had, BUT family above us are LOUD, period. We didn't ask them to "tippy-toe" around or anything like that, they just don't care how loud they are when walking and allowing their 2 yr. old to constantly run across the floor (except when she is asleep or obviously when they are gone). As stated in an earlier post, the 2 yr. old also stands in front of the kitchen window and kicks the wall under the window with her feet. And, no one stops her! And, she will (sounds like) sitting in a small chair and stomping her feet up and down on the floor. Again, no one stops her, but she does finally stop. Now, these are not "petty" little things, this is NOISE that the parents could (but won't) control and just don't care about us below.
"Kids will be kids", but this is just too much!! In Oct. our lease is up and we will be ready to get out of here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Again as an adult with children, I have been in your neighbors situation. I tried to have my children be as respectful as possible to people who lived below us up to a point. I didn't allow my kids to run/jump/wrestle etc... when we lived on the second floor. Unfortunately the idiot who lived below us expected us to tiptoe across the floor. You couldn't set a box or bag on the floor without her complaining. You couldn't open the sliding patio door (made a lot of noise)without her complaining. So basically all we could do in our apt was tiptoe in the front door, go directly to the couch and sit down. Then we got to tiptoe to the kitchen (heaven forbid you accidently drop a pan) then tiptoe back to the couch. Then tiptoe to bed. Oh don't even think about showering after 9pm (pipes made a lot of noise) got a complaint for that too.

Now let me ask you would you like to live like that. We had no choice in the apt. we were given, we had no idea how thin the flooring was before we had moved in. We ended up never being home. I couldn't live like that. So you know what after 7 months of it, I quit caring. It didn't matter what we did, nothing pleased the people below us. Now I was raised to respect others, but what these people expected out of us was out of bounds. Thank goodness I live in a house now. Never ever will I subject my children or myself for that matter, to living like that again.

As for living on the third floor of apts. They do make buildings with elevators.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
If it bothers you this much, I would just break my lease and pay the penalty and get out now. Really - not worth it, LB. Your stress level is obviously high on this issue and frankly, my health is not worth the continual stress so I would have to get out of that place NOW. If it is that annoying - really - what is your sanity worth????

Old 06-05-2008, 10:12 AM

Breaking the Lease....lose our deposit and have "breaking the Lease" go on our Credit Report and Personal/Apartment Report that Management here keeps on each occupied apartment as a Reference to give out. I don't think so!!!!
Like some jobs, a person has to put up with some things have have STRESS involved in it. The noise doesn't go on all the time, but when it does happen, it can be/is loud. Of course, if I turn the A/C on, it dissolves some of the noise at the time, but can't have the A/C on all of the time.
Yes, they are that ANNOYING above us, but what really "ticks me off" is that they know they are being that way......like some other posters have stated about their situations.......neighbors in apartments who just don't give a crap about others living around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If it bothers you this much, I would just break my lease and pay the penalty and get out now. Really - not worth it, LB. Your stress level is obviously high on this issue and frankly, my health is not worth the continual stress so I would have to get out of that place NOW. If it is that annoying - really - what is your sanity worth????

Old 06-05-2008, 11:05 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
We know that people have to "live" in an apartment, but I still say the word "respect" to others (like us) that pay rent also. The people above us KNOW that we are below them and simply act like they don't care......now that gets my goat period! Take the child outside to play around on the lawn or to a Park. Heck, its' Summer now! The mother/grandma letting this child kick the wall while looking out a window is unreasonable.....BE PARENTS!!!
When you have small children or teens and live in an apartment, parents HAVE to remember and RESPECT others living around them.
I don't think single level apartments exsist anymore. They stopped making them b/c they didn't make enough money in them.
As far as ear plugs, etc. go: if people would have to wear earplugs or turn up their tv, the noise has gotten "out of hand" and that is when the police should be called! It's not that bad for us yet.
Apartments are not houses. In a house, have a party do whatever. Apartments are smaller living quarters and should be treated as such (for noise).

Sorry but you are being unreasonable! Those children's parents pay rent just as you do and have a right to play inside their apartment..now if it was midnight you have a valid gripe....suck it up until your lease expires and move somewhere else

Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Breaking the Lease....lose our deposit and have "breaking the Lease" go on our Credit Report and Personal/Apartment Report that Management here keeps on each occupied apartment as a Reference to give out. I don't think so!!!!
Like some jobs, a person has to put up with some things have have STRESS involved in it. The noise doesn't go on all the time, but when it does happen, it can be/is loud. Of course, if I turn the A/C on, it dissolves some of the noise at the time, but can't have the A/C on all of the time.
Yes, they are that ANNOYING above us, but what really "ticks me off" is that they know they are being that way......like some other posters have stated about their situations.......neighbors in apartments who just don't give a crap about others living around them.
Oh, I have never heard of it going against your credit report when you break your lease, as long as you do it under the terms of your contract. You just lose your deposit, etc. Many people have to break leases due to job moves, etc. I have had to break a lease b/f - just lost money - everyone was very nice about it. I gave plenty of notice, etc.

Well, since that is not a solution, I wish you good luck w/ enduring the situation. Just sorry to hear how unhappy you are and concerned that the stress will affect your health. I know how awful it can be to put up w/ things that impact one's daily living situation. To me, there is no amount of money worth tearing down my health so that is why I thought you might consider the alternative of just bailing out and losing the $$$.

Hope you get thru/ the summer alright . . . maybe everyone will be outside more in the summer . . .

Old 06-05-2008, 12:21 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
LB-It will NOT go on your credit report. I have broken two leases and its never appeared on my report. You will just have to pay a penalty and you can explain to the new complex the reason why you moved out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.