Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 09:42 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times

Advertisements

1 month and 1 week since I've moved in.

Last night at 1:27 am, I woke up with a thumping....a rythmic thumping...it was the downstairs neighbor.

Knocked on the door, he KNEW it was his music.

Thing is, it was 'music' but the bass.

Hopefully that won't ever happen again because I feel it's vital for peace to live well.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:50 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post

Last night at 1:27 am, I woke up with a thumping....a rythmic thumping...it was the downstairs neighbor.

Hopefully that won't ever happen again because I feel it's vital for peace to live well.
How rude.

Do they even listen to their music anymore or is it just straight bass anymore?

Old 07-11-2008, 11:06 AM

40 posts, read 160,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
What is so REALLY, REALLY weird is.......a lot of people aren't afraid of the cops showing up at their door or of a report being done on them! Shoot, I've even seen young adults driving down a street smoking pot, passing the joint back and forth, not caring whatsoever who sees them! Now, is that STUPID or is that just the way this generation of young adults think....."Hey, we are having fun, you don't like it, get away from us or lets pull over and we will share a "dobbie" with you!"
If people are breaking the law, call the cops. If the cops didn't do anything after multiple complains, send letters to officials and escalate the problem.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Quote:
Well, "some" of the noise has decreased, but we can still hear the 2 yr old running across the floor (our ceiling) and hear one of her parents running after her sometimes. It sounds like the father has work boots on when he runs! We also hear the 2 yr old stomping her feet on the floor (sounds like she is sitting in a chair while doing it). We don't want to get into any legal battle with these folks, so we are just waiting until our lease is up in Oct and get the heck out!
This whole thing has be ridiculous and it makes both (wife/I) upset that these people have NO respect for us living below them or for anyone that would live below them!
I can hear the person sometimes upstairs here. If I heard a peep out of my old bad neighbors I would get the "ok...what NOW" anxiety of waiting for old habits to return. Plus the insulation was crap. Anyway. I think moving will be a good thing for you mentally just to be in a new place away from wondering when the next time they were going to do that crap. I really feel like a new person not dealing with that.

I think of that seinfeld re-run with the Kenny ROgers Roasters sign making Kramer crazy as it crapified his apartment even more. Him and jerry switched places and personallity went with it because kramers unit had wierd creaking all night and the bright light. I laugh so hard at that one.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post

If it happens again call the cops. God knows what hes doing in there or who he is. I always have that fear that some wierdo will do that to bait a victim to thier apt to do whatever with them. The cops I called always just told me to call them because of issues they had dealt with in the past.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Talked to my sister-in-law yesterday about the continuing problem with noise in our apartment section. She told me that where she lives, there is a section for families w/kids and a section for singles/couples that don't have kids (and don't want the noise). However, she lives in So Calif. and we sure aren't moving back there!! They know we live below them, but the "stomping, jumping and running" still continues too much.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
Quote:
Talked to my sister-in-law yesterday about the continuing problem with noise in our apartment section. She told me that where she lives, there is a section for families w/kids and a section for singles/couples that don't have kids (and don't want the noise). However, she lives in So Calif. and we sure aren't moving back there!! They know we live below them, but the "stomping, jumping and running" still continues too much.
Not sure where your sister lives in Ca but when I lived there and worked in an apartment complex, it was made very clear to me that dividing up the apartments that way is illegal. Just want to point that out. Sure would be interesting if the only available apartment was in the singles section and a family with kids wanted it and was denied it. Lawsuit waiting to happen.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:54 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
These are condo's that are sold. No renting done where she lives, so those apartment renting "rules" don't apply. These condo's are listed as Family, Singles (w/no children) and Adult (w/no children) on the Real Estate listings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Not sure where your sister lives in Ca but when I lived there and worked in an apartment complex, it was made very clear to me that dividing up the apartments that way is illegal. Just want to point that out. Sure would be interesting if the only available apartment was in the singles section and a family with kids wanted it and was denied it. Lawsuit waiting to happen.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:01 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
Quote:
I do understand the frustration you had, BUT family above us are LOUD, period. We didn't ask them to "tippy-toe" around or anything like that, they just don't care how loud they are when walking and allowing their 2 yr. old to constantly run across the floor (except when she is asleep or obviously when they are gone). As stated in an earlier post, the 2 yr. old also stands in front of the kitchen window and kicks the wall under the window with her feet. And, no one stops her! And, she will (sounds like) sitting in a small chair and stomping her feet up and down on the floor. Again, no one stops her, but she does finally stop. Now, these are not "petty" little things, this is NOISE that the parents could (but won't) control and just don't care about us below.
"Kids will be kids", but this is just too much!! In Oct. our lease is up and we will be ready to get out of here.
Trust me, the whole world will breathe a collective sigh of relief when you move out of your apartment complex and into a 55+ year-old adult community or wherever you deem is peaceful and quiet. You remind me of Mrs. Kravitz from "Bewitched". Children playing and being kids is very different than arguing neighbors, people blasting their stereos loudly, partying at all hours of the night, etc. Having ONE 20 month-old child being a toddler and you acting like WWIII is happening upstairs, complete with bombs and heavy artillery is carrying it too far. And for the people who complain about people having sex upstairs or whatever, get a life or an inflatable doll. We used to live downstairs and heard the neighbor upstairs having sex a few times. It didn't scar us for life. We haven't lived in an apartment since 1986; we own our own home, but even owning a home next to people like you would scare the bejesus out of me. Some people are just plain pests, like the ones who sued their neighbors for letting their little girls play in their own pool. God forbid that we hear splashing and the laughter of children.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:06 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
My family moved from NJ to GA just this year it cost over $5000 for the move over $2500 for the new lease there and guess what, the apt complex was a complete nightmare. Police activity,fights,mailbox ripped open,kids in my yard,trash, and on top of this i could'nt find work.Managment did not care about complaints, all they want to know is if your rent is on time. So we decided to move again. We lost our deposit also but trust me, all that money we lost was not worth our sanity, we now live in another complex in NC and although it's not perfect, it's heaven compaired to GA. My point is you can't change people but you can change your own means of living, like i said in a earlier post try a small house,it's worth the trouble to have peace!!!
Oh, for the love of God, the OP is complaining about a 20 month-old playing and being a kid. No one is ripping anything, fighting, trashing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting