Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 12:48 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
LB-It will NOT go on your credit report. I have broken two leases and its never appeared on my report. You will just have to pay a penalty and you can explain to the new complex the reason why you moved out.
And at least in Ca where I worked, complexes by law (according to our management) weren't allowed to say why you don't live there anymore. I was required to give out the following information for reference checks, 1, the dates tenant lived there, 2, would we rerent to the tenant. As far as number 2 we were only allowed to state yes or no.3) amount of rent paid No other information could be given out.

Also we couldn't give out that information unless we had a form signed by the person in question allowing us to give that information.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:41 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Sorry but you are being unreasonable! Those children's parents pay rent just as you do and have a right to play inside their apartment..now if it was midnight you have a valid gripe....suck it up until your lease expires and move somewhere else
Totally rude. Its valid when it sounds like someone is pounding on your ceiling all day. People move because of construction all the time. And thats exactly what that type of neighbor sounds like. There is inside voices and play time activities that DONT require kicking a wall, jumping up and down, etc. The quiet and polite tenant shouldnt have to suck it up. Children need to learn how to respect thier neighbors and parents need to be able to enforce it. Its not that hard...unless you have a total attitude problem.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:11 PM

8,959 posts, read 20,385,036 times
Yes, they pay rent, BUT so do we!!!!!!!! We never said they couldn't play, but an apartment is NOT a house. A lot of folks that have posted to this Thread know/understand about apartments.....why don't you??? Children or no children, there is absolutely NO REASON why people need to make as much noise as we are hearing. As said before, TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY inconsideration for anyone living around these people!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Sorry but you are being unreasonable! Those children's parents pay rent just as you do and have a right to play inside their apartment..now if it was midnight you have a valid gripe....suck it up until your lease expires and move somewhere else

Old 06-05-2008, 04:19 PM

8,959 posts, read 20,385,036 times
My wife just told me that we would lose over $2k in money, plus have all the moving costs etc. also. What I'm wondering is why can't the people over us just stop making so much noise and/why doesn't the management here do anything about it??? Is this another "thing" where the "inconsiderate people WIN" and the "nice people lose??"

Old 06-05-2008, 04:22 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Does the apartment belong to a much bigger entity? IF so, go higher up on the ranks. Do you have a video camera? Tape record the noises, etc. Then file a civil lawsuit against the apartment complex and the neighbors. It shouldn't cost you but $100 in court fees. I bet that will help stop the noises.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:21 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
If it is really that bad and you want to have management do something, you need to insist that they come to your apartment and listen to the sounds in question. Until they hear it for themselves and deem it noisy they aren't going to do anything about it. If they refuse, go to the corporate office, rattle their tree, complain about the management, document everything. Record it, date it send a copy to corporate offices.

If this doesn't work then yes inconsiderate people win.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:30 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,919,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My wife just told me that we would lose over $2k in money, plus have all the moving costs etc. also. What I'm wondering is why can't the people over us just stop making so much noise and/why doesn't the management here do anything about it??? Is this another "thing" where the "inconsiderate people WIN" and the "nice people lose??"
My best guess is the management is afraid of a discrimination suit by these parents. If they respond to the management anything like they respond to you, they aren't reasonable people and managers tend to not like rocking the boat at the expense of the quiet tenants. They probably figure it is easier for YOU to move than the family.

I normally try to take the high road, but people like this make me want to fight fire with fire just to prove a point. Maybe you could choose to vaccum the cobwebs on the ceiling late at night (or start having REALLY loud marital relations)? Frankly, it sounds like my old upstairs neighbor moved above you. THE MOST inconsiderate neighbors. The world does not revolve around them and if they cannot grasp the simple concept that apartments are communal living and their rights as tenants do NOT supercede yours, THEY need to move. Your rent money is as good as theirs. If they cannot afford a house, then they need to learn to impose rules on the kids and themselves.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:57 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My family moved from NJ to GA just this year it cost over $5000 for the move over $2500 for the new lease there and guess what, the apt complex was a complete nightmare. Police activity,fights,mailbox ripped open,kids in my yard,trash, and on top of this i could'nt find work.Managment did not care about complaints, all they want to know is if your rent is on time. So we decided to move again. We lost our deposit also but trust me, all that money we lost was not worth our sanity, we now live in another complex in NC and although it's not perfect, it's heaven compaired to GA. My point is you can't change people but you can change your own means of living, like i said in a earlier post try a small house,it's worth the trouble to have peace!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 AM

13,407 posts, read 28,741,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Totally rude. Its valid when it sounds like someone is pounding on your ceiling all day. People move because of construction all the time. And thats exactly what that type of neighbor sounds like. There is inside voices and play time activities that DONT require kicking a wall, jumping up and down, etc. The quiet and polite tenant shouldnt have to suck it up. Children need to learn how to respect thier neighbors and parents need to be able to enforce it. Its not that hard...unless you have a total attitude problem.
Not rude at all from what I'm reading I am forming the opinion the tenant may be unreasonable...as i said if this is happening late at night a valid complaint!! I wasn't snippy at all.

There are others beside myself of this opinion as well....some it seems think maybe the kid should sit in a chair all day with duct tape over their mouths...they are children....children make noise....I agree the wall kicking the parent should address if not for anything but the wall becoming all scuffed up

as far as management, unless it's happening late at night or very early in the morning what can they possibly do??
It's not loud blaring music. it's not fights. it's kids

And yes I grew up in the city living in an apartment.
I've had a house now for decades and even having a house doesn't entirely protect you from noise..let's see..lawn mowers, leaf blowers, neighbors having a party, especially in the summer outdoors...fireworks (even though illegal where I live)

maybe you need to move out in the woods somewhere with no neighbors around or at the very least a retirement community where no kids live

Last edited by njkate; 06-06-2008 at 07:27 AM..

Old 06-06-2008, 07:40 AM

13,407 posts, read 28,741,978 times
Hmmmmm

From another post:
There is NOTHING here for kids to do outside
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ml#post2184010

I hope your lease is up soon and you can find a complex more suited to your life style....good luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting