Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:22 AM

1 posts, read 11,816 times

Advertisements

I am sick of having to writing a check every month for my rent, It seems like it is always the 1st of the month. I am wondering if there is anyone in this forum who pays their rent online? If so please share your experience...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 01:56 AM

36 posts, read 171,877 times
I pay my mortgage online... but that's in The Netherlands where it is pretty common to pay bills online and the use of personal cheques is something from over 20 years ago.

Just a quick question: If you give your landlord a cheque on the 1st, is it possible he/she does not cash it until, let's say, months later? If that's the case, how can you ever be prepared for that?

Old 08-13-2008, 02:42 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times
Okay, being from Europe too, I don't pay with checks at all.

Our mortgage is automatically drawn by the bank from our accounts. No need to have so much work every month. Most things like insurances, gas, and other monthly expenses are drawn directly by the companies which is very effective and not dangerous at all.

Everything else I do online.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:34 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
We can't pay ours online but we can have it set up to automatically draft out on the 1st.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:50 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
I have 2 tenants who pay on-line every month. I get a check in the mail and it usually arrives before the first. I haven't looked at the dates of the checks, I never deposit them until the 1st, when the rent is due.
I pay all my bills on-line, including mortgage. The bank marks them as electronic. The bank doesn't even do a check. It's all eklectronic. I set up the usual and regular payment accounts and pay them every month. I never do automatic payments. I go to the "bother" of filling out the monthly bills to be paid. It takes about 30 minutes a month to pay the bills. Love it.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:18 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
I have used my stock broker to pay all my bills when I traveled alot, but that was an expensive convience. You may be able to transfer money with PayPal

Old 09-03-2008, 09:40 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Bank of America has an Awsome Online bill pay.

I use it and my debit card to pay all my bills, I refuse to write a check .

BofA's bill pay will pay all merchants(Billers) electronically if they are set up to do so.

Most Everyday billers are:

Utilites
Credit Cards
Mortages
Cable
Phone
Insurance

For those that dont have e-pay/ebill BofA will mail a paper cert check to be delievered on the date you specify, and its on that date the funds come out of the account.

So no more:

buying stamps
keeping a check register
Writing Checks
Waiting for people to cash checks

and its Overdraft Proof, if the funds arent in the account bill doesnt get paid and you're emailed.

Love being Paperless.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:53 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,961 times
Several of my tenants have set up an automatic bill pay through their banks and the checks are mailed directly to me. I always get them a few days before the lst of the month, but I don't deposit until the 2nd or 3rd. It's a great way to collect the rents !!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:00 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,578 times
I would love to pay my rent online. For that matter, I would love to pay by check!

I have a pretty nice house, but the property management company deals mostly (about 95%) with run-down low-income housing, so their policy is that they ONLY accept cashier's check or money order.

I'll have to check out the online payment option when we move!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
I prefer a check because you hold onto your money a little longer that way and earn interest on it. When you do an online bill payment, it takes your money out early. A difference of 60 cents a month may not sound like much but it would buy me a magazine subscription.. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting