Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:13 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times

Advertisements

Here's the problem. Brother had his late wife's daughter and her family living in his home. This has been going on for several years. Now, he's got a new girlfriend, and he's told the adult daughter,her husband and kids that they need to find a new home. They refuse. They don't pay rent--they've been staying for free all these years.
Does my brother have any recourse to get them to leave? I can only find info on landlord/tenet things and am not sure that will apply!

If anyone knows the legalities of this, I sure would appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 07:41 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
There is an easy method to which your brother can get rid of them. If he wants, he can draft up a letter and get it notarized explaining this in a nicer manner:

"One month to find a place and start moving out. After such month, the cops will be called to remove them and their belongings from the premises."

Unless they're on the lease/mortgage/etc, they have no recourse of which to get back at him. If the family is on the paperwork, then your brother is out of luck.

Just a warning: He shouldn't expect them to be too happy. He should probably also forget about civility with them for a long time.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 46,415 times
Sad story...Anyway, If he is the owner of the house, he has legal recourses to have them leave. Depending on where he lives, the laws will be quite different. If the situation is that bad, the first thing he need to do is consult the police department in order to find out what he can and cannot do legally. It is important that he finds out what the status of these people is in house: If for example they receive mail at this address under their names, even if they do not pay rent, they are considered as renter and therefore living "legally" there. He can have the police serve an eviction notice, which gives them 30 day to vacate the premises ( depending again on the local laws).
In any case if they do not receive mail at this address under their names, then I believe that they are considered as guests.
Either way, he should make a call to the police in order to know what his rights and their rights are.
Good luck to him.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
There are attorneys who specialize in eviction. That is the place to check for information. It may come to him having to spend some money to get them out. I would think whatever it takes would be well worth it.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 AM

589 posts, read 1,636,230 times
You should look up the Statue for the Landlord Tenant laws in your state. It will state in there what the landlord must do to evict people from the premises. Keep in mind that you most likely have an implied lease of some sort with them. It would be considered verbal or implied.

Follow through on every step thoroughly and in a timely manner.

They will not be happy but that's the way it is.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 AM

33 posts, read 175,894 times
You have to be careful because even though they are not paying rent sometimes they are still considered tenants. It seems like he should just be able to tell them to leave and if they don't put their stuff out and change the locks, but it's possible to get in a lot of trouble this way. The best thing to do is find a lawyer or paralegal.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
I'm guessing that after a year, they have unauthorized permanent guests in their house which the landlord is unaware of, or he'd charge extra. Brother needs to locate receipts to prove that he pays all of the bills. If the squatters can come up with one receipt, they may be considered paying tenants. Ask the landlord about occupancy regulations. In Maryland, a father, daughter & husband, and boy and girl, would need a 4 bedroom apartment minimum (by law). Your brother has been abusing the landlord's original agreement, the apartment, and the law for years. The landlord may be charged for allowing this illegal occupancy. Your brother may be sued for excessive wear and tear. The landlord is the loser here.

Last edited by ESFP; 08-25-2008 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,254 times
Your cheapest, fastest route is to file for eviction in small claims court. If an eviction order is issued, they have a certain period of time to leave or object. Even if they object, it's doubtful that they will succeed. Ex. They probably don't know about Adverse Possession and probably don't qualify. But if they object, you may want to hire an attorney who specializes in real estate.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Thanks all! He has mailed them an eviction notice (certified mail) and they refused it. He has documentation of their refusal of the letter.

My brother owns this house--he's not renting. This is his late wife's daughter and her family. The daughter was living in the home when the mother died. My brother allowed her to stay, and she eventually married and had kids, who are all there now. His grieving period (4 years--a long time) has apparently ended and he wants them to find their own place so he can sell the home. They are simply refusing to leave!

And yes--they are NOT happy with my brother, despite all the help and assistance he's given them in the past.

Thanks for all the suggestions--I'll pass them along!

Old 08-25-2008, 05:05 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
If he is selling the house, go ahead and sell it. Then they will have to leave. Unless he needs these people out to make improvements and make it saleable. If he needs them out, then file for eviction in whatever court your state or county statutes dictate. The sheriff or constable will put them out for him. Refusing a certified letter is great proof for eviction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting