Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:53 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

I came across a website that is IMO a very nice tool to check out if a tenant is a bad tenant.
I have no clue how many people have added bad tenants so you still have to check other websites or do background checks, but if more Landlords would add bad tenants than it can be a great tool.

I hope there will be a similar website for Landlords so both sides can report them since we all know on both sides there are good and bad ones.

I have no relation to the website and just came across this one when I googled bad tenants. I really like the website so who ever is behind it did IMO a great job and unfortunately must have dealt with a very bad one.

Bad Tenant.org - Free tenant screening and reporting on bad tenants (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cacheWPffDsAMLMJ:bad-tenant.org/+bad+tenants&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 08:04 PM

673 posts, read 2,717,078 times
Could bad reviews be considered defamatory?

Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
The general populace has been advised for years not to give out its SS# because of identity theft although I've seen that abused so many times even recently. I may be going off point here but an older local lady was paying by cheque at a local supermarket a few months ago and the young cashier demanded to know the lady's SS# to process her cheque even though the lady produced her government-issued Senior Citizen card replete with photograph to prove she was who she was. The cashier was giving her such a hard time that I finally stepped in and said, "Excuse me but you are NOT allowed to ask for this lady's Social Security number. She's given you the appropriate ID." The young cashier sucked her teeth (that's a local nasty disrespectful thing) but called over a manager and all was put to rest very quickly and the little old lady left with her cheque OK'd and turned to thank me. The cashier wasn't there a week or so later but she had an attitude anyway so there may have been more to that dismissal.

Anyway, back en pointe, I see on the site that SS# is required (?) for a search ...

I don't know - it seems that these sorts of sites come and go like the wind but likewise multiply across the board and they probably aren't strictly legal. Defamation could well be an issue if a crappy landlord arbitrarily decides to diss a tenant just because he or she happens to feel like it and the tenant who has actually done nothing wrong gets turned down by other landlords because of false information submitted by a landlord with an ax to grind.

Common sense and basic (legal) background checks and past references are anyone's better bets. Unfortunately in this cyberspace age, everyone looks for an easy way to check on someone's credentials. Before the internet, you'd actually pick up the 'phone and check references and many still do that. Me, I stay off the Big Brother grid as much as humanly possible but, if and when I need any sort of references, they're right there and can be checked in a heartbeat by a letter or a 'phone call by anyone interested. Cheers and Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
Well, there are 88,000 renters and 37,000 landlords in the U.S. Quick Facts: Resident Demographics - NMHC.org , which means there are about 120,000 people who's names will eventually appear on this site. How about a site with good tenants and landlords... Yea, that would be much easier.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Well, there are 88,000 renters and 37,000 landlords in the U.S. Quick Facts: Resident Demographics - NMHC.org , which means there are about 120,000 people who's names will eventually appear on this site. How about a site with good tenants and landlords... Yea, that would be much easier.
I'm a positive person so I would like it, but I doubt that many Landlords and the other way around, the good tenants, will think to leave positive feedback....mostly people who are mad or disappointed with the other party due to their behavior of damaging or not paying, will go and search to put the names out there....

I do like what you suggesting!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:57 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
I'm a positive/negative person so I think websites for the "good" and the "bad" are both needed!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 AM

97 posts, read 406,656 times
Thanks for the link, I've been looking for something like this.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,524 times
Get authorization from tenant to run credit check, then call a local realtor and ask them to run tenants' credit, usually at no cost. Credit report tells a story of past financial and if someone pays their bills on time. People who have good credit usually want to keep it that way, a lot of people who have poor credit and judgements against them, and high credit balances are people who may fall behind in rent payments.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Get authorization from tenant to run credit check, then call a local realtor and ask them to run tenants' credit, usually at no cost. Credit report tells a story of past financial and if someone pays their bills on time. People who have good credit usually want to keep it that way, a lot of people who have poor credit and judgements against them, and high credit balances are people who may fall behind in rent payments.
And check previous employers...
Beware of potential tenants who want the sec. deposit pay in seperate payments or ask a lower sec. deposit and right now I get a lot of people looking at places and want to pay way less....you already know that they probable can't afford it at all...it is good to try to pay less but demand for rentals is up in our area due to the many foreclosures.

I send all the potential renters who are offering to sign long term leases but want to pay hundreds less, away to places that are cheaper....
It is nice to try but if people start to ask "what is the lowest rent" and if you tell them what it is and they still come back and try to reant it for hundreds less...they are either bold or have no money...I guess the last.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 AM

97 posts, read 406,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Get authorization from tenant to run credit check, then call a local realtor and ask them to run tenants' credit, usually at no cost.
Maybe they do that in NJ but not here. It would be nice though! I know my realtor would do it if she could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting