Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:24 AM

97 posts, read 406,720 times

Advertisements

Sure, but the original comment was asking landlords to do background checks on neighbors too. That gets a little pricey, sorry, the neighbors aren't really my problem. I do credit checks on the tenant(s) that I have narrowed down to potentially rent my property, and never on a neighbor. I don't even know what kind of neighbors would allow you to do a background check on them anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 08:58 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc219 View Post
Sure, but the original comment was asking landlords to do background checks on neighbors too. That gets a little pricey, sorry, the neighbors aren't really my problem. I do credit checks on the tenant(s) that I have narrowed down to potentially rent my property, and never on a neighbor. I don't even know what kind of neighbors would allow you to do a background check on them anyway.
Why would you check on the neighbors? This isn't a KGB country...we just need to have info on who we let in our properties to live there and have them treat it the way it should an dhave them pay as they promissed when they signed the contract...Is that to much to ask!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why would you check on the neighbors? This isn't a KGB country...we just need to have info on who we let in our properties to live there and have them treat it the way it should an dhave them pay as they promissed when they signed the contract...Is that to much to ask!
I guess I misread/misunderstood what mainegirl was suggesting. I thought they were saying to check on neighbors. This would be crazy, however they said to get references from neighbors, not check on them. My fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
If I were a landlord, I would pay a fee and do a background check on all potential tenants. I would also ask for references from a prior landlord, and/or neighbors. It costs money, but it seems to me it would be worth it, if you find out that the potential tenant has a history of being a bad tenant and neighbor. I wish MY landlord would do that.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc219 View Post
I guess I misread/misunderstood what mainegirl was suggesting. I thought they were saying to check on neighbors. This would be crazy, however they said to get references from neighbors, not check on them. My fault.
Ohhh that could be a great thing to do, but you have to keep in mind that no everybody is honest or is what they appear to be.

My last tenants were pretty much to them self and never bothered any one in the street. They had a huge office furniture in front of the living room front windows and due to that they never could open the blinds. The house is in a resort style community and I heared from neighbors that they hardly ever saw them and they were friendly whenever they saw them...In hindsight somethings were weird....bot most people who met them were very positive.
The lies aside, I never experienced bad things other than their behavior got stranger in the last month and I thought it was related to having a hard time paying the rent and the economy.

These tenants would be great neighbors, but not tenants the way the left the house overnight and the mess and not paying the last month and than finding out that both their drivers license were suspended....

The other thing is that the police told me that some LL won't tell you the tenants are lousy and rotten, so they will have another place and move out and they get rid of them...people can have all kinds of motive to say nice words or trash some one...I rather go by facts and the public records and background checks are a wonderful tool for that.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The other thing is that the police told me that some LL won't tell you the tenants are lousy and rotten, so they will have another place and move out and they get rid of them...people can have all kinds of motive to say nice words or trash some one...I rather go by facts and the public records and background checks are a wonderful tool for that.
My realtor gave me a good suggestion one time, always ask for at least the last two landlords info, because of the fact that the current/previous one might want to get rid of them and say good things, if you call the landlord before that one, they'll tell the truth because they have nothing to lose, or gain from it...

Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times
Quote:
Beware of potential tenants who want the sec. deposit pay in seperate payments or ask a lower sec. deposit and right now I get a lot of people looking at places and want to pay way less....you already know that they probable can't afford it at all...it is good to try to pay less but demand for rentals is up in our area due to the many foreclosures.
yea, common scam. Once they move in you have to follow eviction procedure which could take months. Meanwhile, they're in your place living on your dime. They'll probably trash the place as well.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:39 AM

I just received an email from rentauthority.com. I heard about that website through one person posting on this forum and I'm grateful to have checked that website out.

The email was about a police officer who is involved in property crimes and was warning (maybe also to advertise this website or to encourage to do background checks) for bad tenants regarding people who are dressed very well, nice suit, tie, woman who look good and try that way to win your convidence but end up being tenants who have portable meth labs, or trash your place or worse.

It was a good video, but since the website is also making advertisement I probable won't be allowed to put a link up, but you can google it and the advise and story the police officer made, was very interesting and proof of how important it is not to judge the package by the wrapping but to do a background check!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:06 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,676 times
You can check out a person's criminal and cival history on each states court web sites. Look for the clerk of courts. Most states are free and you type in the person's name and the charge will come up whether criminal or cival. I know, because I did this on my ex.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:57 PM

I just wanted to add that in my case the tenants who vanished over night might have done me more than one favor!

Although they left my place with damages and not paying last month rent...I did go to court and filled a claim in small claims court and to my surprise the processor who told me he would be able to serve him...did a great job and the tenants both got served, but I wrote this before.

If i win in court which I have no doubts about, since the proof is over whelming, but to get the money could be a little bit harder but I will get a collecting agency to do that for me...if I get the money or a part of it, I will be happy.

I found new tenants and a contract will be signed today. They will move in within 2 weeks. By vanishing the tenants made it possible to have me clean the property, have it painted, etc...all while he is responsible for the last months rent and I have new tenants in on the day the new rent would be due....if I get money back I won't lose much, since my vanished tenants paid a non refundable sec. deposit and for the rest they paid the other 11 out of 12 months rent. If the court decide in my favor I will get the more money and the tenants will get a credit report with a judgment added to their already bad credit report...no referal from a previous Landlord and I guess a hard time to find a new place to live other than with friends and family....I knew that the good people willhave the last laugh!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,676 times
Hey, what about bad landlords?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting