Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:50 PM

101 posts, read 562,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
This is terrible. Your landlord should threaten your neighbor with eviction if they don't cease and desist. In your area there are many laws in your favor, and you could actually sue your neighbor because of this. Read this entirely... Noise Law FAQ Brooklyn NY - Brooklyn NY, legal help, Brooklyn NY Property & Money, Brooklyn NY noise laws, Brooklyn NY noise problems, Brooklyn NY landlord liability, Brooklyn NY lawsuits, Brooklyn NY quiet hours

Wow thank you thank you for that site ! Im going to keep a record of EVERYTHING and sue that b**** . Unfortunately all of my neighbors are friends with her and wont help me but they dont live directly below her!She has been keeping it quiet during the week at night BUT during the day and weekends she goes crazy. She blast her music in my apartment until 3:00 am on Friday. Im going to get my cellphone turned back on and record everything! Thank you for the website!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyasmommy View Post
....and Im pissed because I have to shell out a couple hundred bucks for a stereo that I dont want nor need.
Oh, so you're on government assistance but you're going to throw down a couple hundred dollars for a stereo just to get even?

Infantile behavior, and a waste of taxpayer money. Get a handle on yourself, playing the "you make noise so I'll make noise" game is just childish and will get you nowhere. Spend our tax money on food or clothes for your autistic kids. Oh, and if you've got two already that are both autistic, please don't have any more as there is obviously something going on where you are having impaired children. You (and the taxpayer) don't need any more disabled kids to support.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
I don't have much sympathy for someone on the welfare teat complaining that their taxpayer funded housing doesn't meet their expectations. Unless you are paying your own rent, you have no right to whine about how the conditions in your free housing are intolerable.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:40 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Thanx for the advice you guys ....Im going to have to move out. It's driving me insane and Im becoming neurotic seriously...I daydream about going to her apartment and cutting her wires with scissors lol .I got my section 8 acceptance letter (THANK GOD) So when Im at the meeting Im going to request to move into a diffrent apartment. Im also buying a large stereo tommorow! Im so sick of this woman. I havent had the money to buy one but tommorow is payday and I look forward to buying my stereo and placing my speakers right under her bedroom to give her a dose of her own medicine! That is going to be GREAT . My lease isnt up until August so until than I will have to bear it but now I have the option of playing my loud music whenever she plays her. Ill drown out her music with my own (and leave so my children doesnt have to hear it). Im sorry that my downstairs neighbor will have to suffer but hopefully after a couple days she will get the message . Until than Im looking for apartments ...I cant wait to get out of this place...Oh and Ill be blasting music they hate like gospel and classical! (I love both!) I really wish I didnt have to resort to this level ....and Im pissed because I have to shell out a couple hundred bucks for a stereo that I dont want nor need.

so let me get this straight: you're going to spend "a couple hundred bucks" on a stereo system you can neither afford (being on welfare) nor even want, JUST for the sole, unbelievably IMMATURE purpose of getting back at a loud neighbor, and by doing so, you will be inconveniencing your downstairs neighbor w/ your loud music (which means your downstairs neighbor will have just as much rights to call the cops on YOU)?

all my sympathy just went out the window. grow up, be an adult about this, and be grateful you're able to move. what you're considering doing is childish beyond belief. either find a way to live w/ this woman peacefully, get the LL involved, or put up w/ it until you leave. don't waste money and time stooping down to her level

Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 PM

144 posts, read 407,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Oh, so you're on government assistance but you're going to throw down a couple hundred dollars for a stereo just to get even?

Infantile behavior, and a waste of taxpayer money. Get a handle on yourself, playing the "you make noise so I'll make noise" game is just childish and will get you nowhere. Spend our tax money on food or clothes for your autistic kids. Oh, and if you've got two already that are both autistic, please don't have any more as there is obviously something going on where you are having impaired children. You (and the taxpayer) don't need any more disabled kids to support.

I was JUST about to type something very similar to this. I wouldn't go drop a couple of hundreds on a stereo right now, and I actually work! Why should I have to pay for you, Aniyasmommy, to live practically rent free only to splurge on electrical equipment.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,739 times
Quote:
Thanx for the advice you guys ....Im going to have to move out. It's driving me insane and Im becoming neurotic seriously...I daydream about going to her apartment and cutting her wires with scissors lol .I got my section 8 acceptance letter (THANK GOD) So when Im at the meeting Im going to request to move into a diffrent apartment. Im also buying a large stereo tommorow! Im so sick of this woman. I havent had the money to buy one but tommorow is payday and I look forward to buying my stereo and placing my speakers right under her bedroom to give her a dose of her own medicine! That is going to be GREAT . My lease isnt up until August so until than I will have to bear it but now I have the option of playing my loud music whenever she plays her. Ill drown out her music with my own (and leave so my children doesnt have to hear it). Im sorry that my downstairs neighbor will have to suffer but hopefully after a couple days she will get the message . Until than Im looking for apartments ...I cant wait to get out of this place...Oh and Ill be blasting music they hate like gospel and classical! (I love both!) I really wish I didnt have to resort to this level ....and Im pissed because I have to shell out a couple hundred bucks for a stereo that I dont want nor need.
Ok. So it's NOT ok for the upstairs neighbor to blare their music...but your downstairs neighbor will have to deal with your loud music?? Something not quite right with that picture. It's immature and as has already been said...the sympathy I initially had for you went right out the window. Keep in mind that what you're talking about doing could very well come back to bite you in the butt. If you start causing disturbances, it could get YOU in to trouble, too.

The money you are spending to impulsively buy a stereo to make a point could really be spent better elsewhere.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:57 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,739 times
Hmm. Your story here differs from the version you've posted on another forum.

Here you say that you called 311 and 911 and they never showed up; there you say that they showed up 3 hours later.
Quote:
I called 311 and filed a complaint.I also called 911 to report her because she threatened my life..911 didnt arrive until THREE hours later
Here you say that the therapist is tired of hearing the music every time she comes for a visit and also said that the therapist was there at the time; there you say that when this happened, the therapy sessions had not even started yet.
Quote:
Ok so the daughter played her music for 3 hours straight .My son is starting his therapy this week and the therapists will not want to work hearing all of that music and they will complain and ask me to go up there
I won't waste any more time making comparisons because there are many conflicts in the two versions of your story.

Just another lesson in taking what is said here with a grain of salt and keeping in mind that there are always two sides to a story. Or in this case...two different stories.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:44 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
If the walls are thin, music travels even more. Maybe the neighbors volume wasn't even that loud, but just because of thin walls you can hear it. Not to be harsh, but if the volume isn't hugely excessive by objective standards (ie an "as to an average person mid-day" and not "as to an autistic child in therapy") and not at unreasonable hours of night, nothing the police will do. Folks are allowed to make "normal" noise. If their level of "normal" is disruptive to you, all you can do is move. Why on earth would you intentionally play music to disturb the other neighbor? Not too smart imho. On Section 8 and having money to buy a stereo just to peeve off a neighbor? My tax dollars hard not at work... And calling 911 when the woman wasn't like coming at you with a knife or something but had just "said" something? That isn't how 911 was meant to work.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:07 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,551 times
Lol. You people are very obviously not from NY, with the "call the police about the noise" advice.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:41 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
A) Do not do the same thing that you are complaining about back to her, it will not solve anything.
B) Do see if you can get another apartment, if the noise is hurting the health of the children it is necessary.
C) Get a letter from the therapist describing what he/she hears when they come and how he/she sees the reaction from the children due to the music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting