Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:48 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,746,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You are a hypochondriac. No, water damage cannot give you diarrhea within hours of rain starting to fall.

It takes longer than a half a business day to get cleanup and remediation crews on site. Take a chill pill.
I ignored your last post before this for a reason. You didn't take the hint, so I'll just tell you to now to GO AWAY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Think I would Close off that room! Not saying the problem IS making you sick. But hard to get well sleeping in Damp places. IF you are able to you could remove the carpet...but what to do with it I not sure...lay it out side?? Its wet so rain wont hurt it. BUT dont throw it away either!! I saw on the News where parts of CA are having Mudslides!!! Here in WV we keep having Blizzards....crazy weather!! Good Luck!!

I can't prove I got sick from the flooding, but I don't want to take any chances so I'm going to stay away from that room and give my 60 day notice in a few days. I went out and came back and it's smells like a run down musky hotel room...gross.

I don't know about removing the carpet. There is probably some mud under the carpet. When I walked on it (when it was wet in the doorway of my bedroom) the weight of my foot cause the dirty water from the pad to go to the carpet and now there are mud foot prints. The landlord wanted to know what they were, as if it was my fault. I think I have to give the landlord a couple days before I do something on my own. I need to keep it legal. Still no call about the appointment to have the handyman guy look at it. When I owned, I never had a problem at least scheduling and apointment.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,457 times
and is the LL gonna pay for the extra electical costs of drying out HIS rug? This is not your concern ..
tell the LL he needs to fix it now or you will call the city inspectors in ..
Yanno what..t I get mad at LL's who diddlefart over things like this it IS our ( apt manager/owner/LL ) job to repair and maintine the units. this clean up is not your job or responsibility .. water coming in thru the walls is a big issue in a basment and sure maybe you shouldnt haver rented that place but now its up to the owner to fix it .. you can push him a bit by calling the city inspectors in YES he has had enough time to call service master or one of the carpet dryer places and fix this issue

Old 02-08-2010, 07:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Quote:
I ignored your last post before this for a reason. You didn't take the hint, so I'll just tell you to now to GO AWAY.
Not a chance. You chose to post on an internet forum, you get to reap the consequences: other people can respond, even if you don't agree with what they write. If you want someone to simply repeat and affirm your own ideas, get a parrot.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Not a chance. You chose to post on an internet forum, you get to reap the consequences: other people can respond, even if you don't agree with what they write. If you want someone to simply repeat and affirm your own ideas, get a parrot.

At this point you are harassing me.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
and is the LL gonna pay for the extra electical costs of drying out HIS rug? This is not your concern ..
tell the LL he needs to fix it now or you will call the city inspectors in ..
Yanno what..t I get mad at LL's who diddlefart over things like this it IS our ( apt manager/owner/LL ) job to repair and maintine the units. this clean up is not your job or responsibility .. water coming in thru the walls is a big issue in a basment and sure maybe you shouldnt haver rented that place but now its up to the owner to fix it .. you can push him a bit by calling the city inspectors in YES he has had enough time to call service master or one of the carpet dryer places and fix this issue

Thank you for showing there are people with common sense. What you said was in line with what the experts in tenant law for my city and state just told me.

Tonight I met with lawyers and tenants advocates at a city tenants meeting. I told them the situation with wet carpet, walls and mold and they confirmed what I had already said. They told me it is likely unihabitable according to city codes. The advised me to call a city inspector (gave me the contact info) and they will write the landlord up and I may have to move out right away and the landlord will have to pay my moving expenses. I'd rather move out in 30 days. They all laughed when I told them that the landlord asked if I had a heater to dry it out.

What I will likely do is give the landlord 2 more days to do nothing, then write up the 30 day notice. The city inspector will be called before I move out for the benefit of the next tenant, which will also help with getting my deposit back if the landlord tries to say the carpet was damaged by me. I have pictures of the crumbling wall, mold and wet carpet anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:38 PM

It's been 3 full days since I showed landlord the flooding. I haven't gotten a call about repairing it, which is what I expected anyway.

I'm writing up my 30 day notice now. I don't think people normally put a reason why they are moving in the letter, but I think I should given that I don't want to be blamed for the mud stains on the carpet from the outside water. I'm supposed to clean the carpet before I leave but it will draw up dirt from under the carpet that was brought in from flooding. Also, I showed him the damage in person, not in letter form, so he could say I never told him. He hasn't done his job so far so who know how the move out process will go. Do you think I should call city codes before I move out so I will have further evidence for a worst case scenerio? Any thoughts?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,457 times
you should have already called the city inspectors!.. do it now befor you move out ..

Old 02-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
you should have already called the city inspectors!.. do it now befor you move out ..

Yep..just did. I spent 30 minutes trying to talk to someone but finally did. I was sort of worried that they would tell me to move out right away when they inspect it, so that was making me hesitant to call. I have so many other things to do and need to go out of town agian too. What a pain.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM

4 posts, read 10,288 times
Reading your post makes me feel like I am reading my post. My bedroom closet has mold growing all over it and with each rain fall it gets worst. I have all my clothes on the bed and am currently sleeping on the couch in the living room...it is like why am I even paying all this extra rent for a room I cannot use. My personal belongings did get destroyed since I was unaware of the problem :-(. I am also trying to figure out a legal way to break my lease and if my place is considered inhabitable. After reading your site I have called the health inspector so I will know if I can move out.

I have been doing lots of research with regards to our situation and it seems like yes you can move out with a 30 day notices since you have enough proof for lack of weatherproofing. In fact, if you have a lease and you are moving out earlier due to lack of maintenance they have to pay you moving expenses along with your deposit.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting