Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tait unit View Post
my landlord charged me first and last months rent to move into his rental unit as well as a security deposite that doesn't exceed more than one months rent he let us move in with just first and last and we verbally agreed to pay the deposite later on when we had got up the money but before I give it to him I want to know is he allowed to do this
Well, your first month's rent doesn't count as a deposit. So, your landlord wants basically 2 month's rent's worth of deposits. This would be legal in CA, where all deposits can be a maximum total of 2 month's rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
my landlord charged me first and last months rent to move into his rental unit as well as a security deposite that doesn't exceed more than one months rent he let us move in with just first and last and we verbally agreed to pay the deposite later on when we had got up the money but before I give it to him I want to know is he allowed to do this
Yes he can do this, not that I would recommend any landlord take this risk, he is being exceedingly generous in giving you additional time to come up with the deposit.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:49 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
And this is precisely why nobody moves into my units without every penny paid upfront. Some tenants agree to pay and then decide they can make up an excuse why they don't have to honor their word.

Either they have enough money to rent or they don't. If they don't, I won't rent to them.

Tait Unit, you can pay the deposit you promised to pay or you can start to consider where you will be moving next without a good landlord reference.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You either joking or very naive...:smack
YOU sir are not very good at comprehending information but don't worry they will teach you all that when you get to high school! 😃

Yes first and last months rent PLUS security are very common and of course you will not have to pay the last months rent when the time comes around because its included in the move in costs! Understood you perfectly!

Old 07-05-2014, 04:39 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceedeewin View Post
YOU sir are not very good at comprehending information but don't worry they will teach you all that when you get to high school! 😃
And you, sir, obviously didn't notice that this thread is a year old.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 366 times
I paid first months and last months rent a security deposit in December do i have to pay rent in January or February?

Old 01-07-2019, 03:05 PM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
When did you move in?

Old 01-07-2019, 03:59 PM

453 posts, read 409,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine5231977 View Post
I paid first months and last months rent a security deposit in December do i have to pay rent in January or February?
Yes. First month covered December, and last months will cover the last month you stay in the rental. Security will be returned after move out, minus deductions.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:03 PM

453 posts, read 409,999 times
I actually like the concept of first last and security for both the tenant and LL. We were required to provide first last and security, which totaled nearly 5k when we moved in.

The landlord is hopefully eliminating any applicant who may not have the financial means to sustain living in the rental, and the tenant is (hopefully) going to have an easier time on the back end.

As a tenant, it’s nice to know when I do decide to move, my last month is covered, and I can use that money towards whatever is next.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:20 PM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
I always get first , last and security in all my non stabilized apartments .. not only does it protect me when the tenant lives off the security usually but it also acts as the sniff test ..

If a tenant has trouble coming up with the amount I don’t want a tenant who lives hand to mouth ... I don’t need their problems becoming my problems .. it is bad enough when good tenants face divorce- illness or job loss and you are caught up in it .. but to knowingly take a tenant with no cushion is asking for trouble ..

Rent stabilization laws don’t let you get more than first month and security if stabilized .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-07-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting