Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:15 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times

Advertisements

I figure they have 1600.00 extra bucks now, plus whatever they would have paid to turn the place around had I left at year 1 or year 2 on a year to year lease. So they've already profited quite nicely. They can say no and probably will and I will stay until I find a house IF I ever do. In retrospect it would have been cheaper to sign a lease and just break it. But I had no way of knowing that the housing market would be what it is.

But I figured it doesn't hurt to ask to let me stay on month to month at either regular rent or reduced extra month to month amount. I was looking for ways to craft my argument - but hey if that's too hard to understand OK.

I suppose I could sign a lease, get new carpet and then break the lease if I decide I want to move - screw the deposit - just hand them an extra 800 on top of all the extra I've already given them.
Wish I had thought of that before I was in 1600. I guess the idea of breaking a commitment never occurred to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 04:05 PM

73 posts, read 587,057 times
Month to month leases charge more for rent than 12-month leases. This has been the case at every apartment I've lived in. I don't think you will convince them to give you the 12-month rental rate for your month-to-month lease. People pay a premium on rent (in your case $50 more) in exchange for the flexibility of a month-to-month lease, so you can't have it both ways.

But you should find out what comparable properties in the area charge for month-to-month leases, and if they are cheaper ask your landlord if they will match it. Also if their rent for 12-month leases has gone down since you moved there, then in theory your monthly lease rent should also go down (though still cost more than the yearly lease). Remind them that you have been a good tenant who pays rent and hasn't cause any problems. All you can really do is ask nicely and see if they are willing to negotiate. They need to know that you've looked around to see what other places are charging. Then they'll know it's possible that you might decide to leave. Even though you've decided you're not gonna move, you shouldn't tell them that because then you don't have an upper hand in negotiations. If they know you will stay no matter what, then there's no incentive for them to give you a discount.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:37 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Janamc - good ideas! I had not though of comparing month to month charges and seeing if rent here had changed.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting