Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 05:41 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,384,165 times

Advertisements

I am just glad to wake up with a pulse in the morning everything after that just gets better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 06:00 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,384,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I think the focus & yearning on being young interferes with the joys of living in the now. Its like those pathetic people who had their best years in high school. I would not want to lose the years of experience and the wisdom it has brought me for the ignorance of callow youth.

I heard about a study on happiness that found there is a distinct uptick in general happiness levels when people reach their 50s. This really is the best time of my life. Why would I want to ruin it by wishing for what cannot be?
It's certainly true for me that I'm happier after I hit 50. I was having a conversation once with several 50+, and 2 ladies in their late 20's. The discussion was whether we'd go back to being in our 20's if we had the chance. My answer, and the answer of the other 50+s, was a definite no which surprised the 20 something ladies. One of the ladies then said she was envious that we were retired and she wishes she could as well!

Old 06-25-2010, 06:34 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,127,268 times
We are seriously downsizing. Most of the furniture is gone. Soon we hope to sell the house, put the remaining stuff in storage and take off in a camper to travel, photograph and look for a new lifestyle. Eventually we will find a new location to live.

Does that qualify?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:08 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,384,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
We are seriously downsizing. Most of the furniture is gone. Soon we hope to sell the house, put the remaining stuff in storage and take off in a camper to travel, photograph and look for a new lifestyle. Eventually we will find a new location to live.

Does that qualify?
Have fun. Sounds like a nice adventure.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,024,955 times
I'm a lot more mature and serious for my age., I always say I feel like I should have been alive in the 40's-60's as I tend to fit with that culture/music/etc... more. Aceept I would really miss my computer

Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,538,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I am just glad to wake up with a pulse in the morning everything after that just gets better
That's an excellent start but I've found that respiration helps as well.

Once we retired we embarked on a grand adventure of down-sizing drastically, looking for a retirement house to buy, doing so and moving 2,000 miles then totally furnishing our home which sits on the edge of a large, beautiful lake.

That takes care of the "physical" aspects of being young at heart. The rest is state of mind. While raising children I was fairly rigid. The older I've become the more relaxed, open and happy I've been and most of my children have remarked on the changes in me, some of which they're astounded by. Our relationships have improved significantly as a result. I may be the patriarch to five children, two stepchildren and nine grandchildren but I'm also the "funny or silly grandpa" and the one the adults come to for advice or just a friendly ear, as they also do with my wife. That will keep me "young" until the day comes I assume room temperature!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:12 AM

342 posts, read 717,899 times
It's been my observation that most people as they age do one of two things - mellow out or become more rigid and fussy. I am definitely in the mellow out camp - by the time you reach your 50s and 60s I think you're definitely more comfortable in your own skin and accepting of who you are. Life is good - many of life's stresses are gone -the kids are grown, the pressures of the job are gone - now it's time to relax and have fun.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,097,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I think the focus & yearning on being young interferes with the joys of living in the now. Its like those pathetic people who had their best years in high school. I would not want to lose the years of experience and the wisdom it has brought me for the ignorance of callow youth.

I heard about a study on happiness that found there is a distinct uptick in general happiness levels when people reach their 50s. This really is the best time of my life. Why would I want to ruin it by wishing for what cannot be?
Its called retirement or being close to, maximum income, empty nest whats not to be happy about? One of the happiest days of my life was when I was 59. Darn flatout joy to the world day. Oh yeah I haven't gone to work since

Old 06-25-2010, 01:09 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,084,293 times
Young at heart is in my head. The body wants no part of it.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:37 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,327,124 times
I am glad to be "my age."...I wouldn't want to go back to my teens or my "young adult years."... And I don't worship "youth" or put everything that is "new" up on a high pedestal....But by the same token I don't want to feel obligated to act a certain way just because I am over 60 either...As one poster brought up...I just want to "be free to be me'"...I want to feel free to partake in the "old" and "new" and the "in-between" and whatever "strikes my fancy" in any given moment of time...I don't want to be forced to wear a "uniform" or be locked-up in a "straight-jacket"....all based on my age in life. How do you feel about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement