Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:46 AM

291 posts, read 452,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Every time someone mentions Fargo, I think of the movie "Fargo," one of the best dark comedy crime films, and a true story.

On the other hand, if you can forget the movie, I hear it's a neat place to live. You will be spending a significant amount on heating your place, and a car will likely be necessary unless you live over a storefront in town.
I think I've seen all the Coen Brother's films but "Fargo" is by far the best. Francis McDormand's best role too.

And, yes, I think about that movie when I mention North Dakota. Having to jump-start her prowler in the morning because the engine's frozen stiff! Also, they don't have any large cities which is what I'm looking for. And their unemployment rate is probably so low because five of the guys and the feed store got laid off. I wasn't suggesting ND as a real possibility but that map is really useful. Shows you what an economic wasteland Florida has become.

Later,

Old 11-03-2010, 01:49 PM

4,798 posts, read 10,655,074 times
Moderator cut: advice only, not judgment, please Geek Squad, grocery baggers, driving for a car service, condo watching, pool maintenance, etc.?

Enjoying "your" blog ...
mD

Last edited by fauve; 11-03-2010 at 03:52 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 03:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,581,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Moderator cut: deleted portion of post Geek Squad, grocery baggers, driving for a car service, condo watching, pool maintenance, etc.?

Enjoying "your" blog ...
mD
And the ever popular, Walmart Greeter! There are four stores within walking/biking distance of Brandeton.

Last edited by fauve; 11-03-2010 at 03:52 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 04:03 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,017,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
This thread reminds me of my daughter and her friends who looked for jobs here in South Florida last year. If cute 19 year old girls can't find jobs at McDonald's or the mall, you really think there are openings for a 60 year old man? My son got a perfect 2400 on his SAT and wasn't even able to get a job tutoring the SAT. I don't think you guys from other parts of the country have a clue how bad it is in this area.
I do. It's a no-brainer.

But now with the Republicans controlling the House, it's all going to change, right?

Old 11-03-2010, 05:12 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,278,168 times
Folks.. once again I have cleaned up thread. Attacking someone you disagree with goes against the spirit of this forum. You don't have to post in a thread especially if you have nothing productive to offer.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments

Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:21 PM

17,237 posts, read 57,256,011 times
I'm probably repeating a previous post, but one way to live better on less cash is to get a job or "arrangement" where part or most of your compensation package is not cash. An uncle of mine lived for a while at a mini-storage complex that he managed, hotels and apartments sometimes have similar arrangements available.

Offhand the mini-storage would appeal to me more than an apartment, generally speaking mini-storage clients won't be ringing your phone in the wee hours of the morning with plumbing problems.

Again, just a thought.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:48 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,924,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Every time someone mentions Fargo, I think of the movie "Fargo," one of the best dark comedy crime films, and a true story. ...
Not according to Snopes.

snopes.com: Fargo

Oh well, at least there's still the Easter Bunny.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,017,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Not according to Snopes.

snopes.com: Fargo

Oh well, at least there's still the Easter Bunny.
Says so on the lead into the film. I guess you can't believe everything you read!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement