Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:08 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,584,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Okay, what really pisses me off is this--the way our demographic is completely ignored by marketers of most types. Nobody tries to sell to us (except medical insurance), despite our having huge purchasing power!
Likely they ignore us because we're less prone to their marketing hype, so they target those efforts toward the younger folks who are more susceptible to such.
I do get aggravated when I'm ready and willing to spend some serious $ on clothes but can't find a decent selection. Everything is geared for the 20-somethings. Then I shrug and get over it. It's their (ie the sellers') loss. If they don't want me to buy their clothes, I'll spend the money on travel and technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 AM

9,467 posts, read 9,419,454 times
Default Clothes for Older Women Demographic

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Likely they ignore us because we're less prone to their marketing hype, so they target those efforts toward the younger folks who are more susceptible to such.
I do get aggravated when I'm ready and willing to spend some serious $ on clothes but can't find a decent selection. Everything is geared for the 20-somethings. Then I shrug and get over it. It's their (ie the sellers') loss. If they don't want me to buy their clothes, I'll spend the money on travel and technology.
I sure agree with you on this. I received a $50 gift card to Macy's, a store I used to love. I've gone there twice now and can't find anything that is appropriate for my age. Everything seems to be sleeveless or short or "young." It's frustrating!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:52 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,046,019 times
I realize this is an old thread, so the OP has probably already moved on, but since this thread was recently resurrected...

I think the "invisibility" has nothing to do with whether or not you're a senior, and everything to do with the digital mentality of younger generations. Data shows that social networking and digital media has made people/children/young adults more anti-social than previous generations. It's truly sad, and one of many reasons I want out of this industry.

So, to the OP and anyone feeling the same as the OP, I wouldn't take younger generations' lack of manners as a reflection of you; I'd take it as a sad reflection of them and the new state of our society.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,993,827 times
Maybe you gals have got it all backward.....maybe its YOU that's changed, could be ? I see women in their 40s-50 that are very fit, workout everyday, run , all around active. The way they dress ,....you guessed it, Young ! In fact I am using a specific person here as an example, who lives in my same city.She ,on any day looks very hot in her very short dress, in fact much more so than so many of the college girls who dress like slobs , or like their mothers did 40 years ago.
What about shoes ? , I thought all women worshiped their collection and ,proud of it. Lets face it, the truth is there are so many more choices for women of all ages than there used to be. You can dress as " young" as you want, or as old too I guess.
Now just to keep this on topic, the women I compare are in their forties..pushing fifty. or they are in their 50s pushing 60.Yes they do stand out, they get the looks from every guy around at any age. fact is, I was in Starbucks the other day ,this hot late forties example came in for a coffee, then exited the door on down the street. Guess what, there were 4-5 local college girls sitting around, they all turned to watch her move down the street, so did I.
So , being invisible can start at any age almost. It all depends on how young you feel inside that counts, at any age not just the clothes, but they do help, I know , and so do the shoes, the sexy ones.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Maybe you gals have got it all backward.....maybe its YOU that's changed, could be ? I see women in their 40s-50 that are very fit, workout everyday, run , all around active. The way they dress ,....you guessed it, Young ! In fact I am using a specific person here as an example, who lives in my same city.She ,on any day looks very hot in her very short dress, in fact much more so than so many of the college girls who dress like slobs , or like their mothers did 40 years ago.
What about shoes ? , I thought all women worshiped their collection and ,proud of it. Lets face it, the truth is there are so many more choices for women of all ages than there used to be. You can dress as " young" as you want, or as old too I guess.
Now just to keep this on topic, the women I compare are in their forties..pushing fifty. or they are in their 50s pushing 60.Yes they do stand out, they get the looks from every guy around at any age. fact is, I was in Starbucks the other day ,this hot late forties example came in for a coffee, then exited the door on down the street. Guess what, there were 4-5 local college girls sitting around, they all turned to watch her move down the street, so did I.
So , being invisible can start at any age almost. It all depends on how young you feel inside that counts, at any age not just the clothes, but they do help, I know , and so do the shoes, the sexy ones.

Huh?

1. I don't think the OP was talking about whether or not the opposite sex finds them attractive after a certain age.
2. How does the above statement apply to men?
3. How much experience do you have with this subject ("this subject" being the original post)?

Seems to me like there are two separate topics here. I was addressing the original topic. Perhaps during this long thread the topic changed to whether or not older women are hot. If so, another thread should be opened for that.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:06 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,993,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Huh?

1. I don't think the OP was talking about whether or not the opposite sex finds them attractive after a certain age.
2. How does the above statement apply to men?
3. How much experience do you have with this subject ("this subject" being the original post)?

Seems to me like there are two separate topics here. I was addressing the original topic. Perhaps during this long thread the topic changed to whether or not older women are hot. If so, another thread should be opened for that.
No , My statements were in response. I did not start any gender issues. ( some banter expected,as I was only putting out answers to those often asked.) Take what I said as is, I agree , further subject deviations should be addresses in another thread.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 PM

102 posts, read 167,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I realize this is an old thread, so the OP has probably already moved on, but since this thread was recently resurrected...

I think the "invisibility" has nothing to do with whether or not you're a senior, and everything to do with the digital mentality of younger generations. Data shows that social networking and digital media has made people/children/young adults more anti-social than previous generations. It's truly sad, and one of many reasons I want out of this industry.

So, to the OP and anyone feeling the same as the OP, I wouldn't take younger generations' lack of manners as a reflection of you; I'd take it as a sad reflection of them and the new state of our society.

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head Sunny! Last weekend my wife and I had breakfast at a coffee lounge and watched an interesting event at the next table. A early 20s woman and an older lady, who turned out to be her Mum, were 'celebrating' the daughter's birthday. The whole time, including the giving and receiving of a present, the young lady spent texting, barely acknowledging her Mum's presenece. She merely grunted, without looking up from her Iphone, when Mum handed her the gift and kissed her on the cheek! Wife and I were disgusted.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
I think you've probably hit the nail on the head Sunny! Last weekend my wife and I had breakfast at a coffee lounge and watched an interesting event at the next table. A early 20s woman and an older lady, who turned out to be her Mum, were 'celebrating' the daughter's birthday. The whole time, including the giving and receiving of a present, the young lady spent texting, barely acknowledging her Mum's presenece. She merely grunted, without looking up from her Iphone, when Mum handed her the gift and kissed her on the cheek! Wife and I were disgusted.
So sad, but that doesn't surprise me one bit. I see it all the time. I'm told I've highly observant. I wish that was one of the things I could stop observing. It actually hurts my soul to see it.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,419,808 times
Quote:
Well, if you loopk at all the members of our generation upside-down on their houses because they bought more than they could afford.
Usually true but not always. At the height of the market in 2005, I bought a home for $655,000 in southern CA. I could afford that and put down a 20% down payment of $130,000. It's now appraised at $400,000 and I doubt I could get that if I put it up for sale. I'm upside down on my mortgage through no fault of my own and continue to pay every penny every month of a $2600 a month mortgage. Most people in my position would walk on their house and get a nicer house for less month and a mortgage of $1200. It's not my "fault" I bought at the high point of the market. I'm upside down on my mortgage not through greed or stupidity, but simply buying at the wrong time.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 PM

5,347 posts, read 6,071,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, if you loopk at all the members of our generation upside-down on their houses because they bought more than they could afford and with every "toy" known to man due to a combination of consumerism and the need for instant gratification who may have to work until they assume room temperature, that's probably a good thing.
Not just our generation. It seems history does, indeed, repeat itself.

" 'Over-housing', as suggested by loan amounts and average rental values high in relation to income, seemed commonly associated with foreclosures. Above-average foreclosure rates were associated with the younger and the older borrowers; with properties having some business use; with properties of higher value, more rooms, and high ratios of land to total value; with loans for larger amounts and for higher loan-to-value ratios." C. Lowell Harriss, Chapter in NBER Book History and Policies of the Home Owners' Loan Corporation.

The HOLC was formed in 1933 to help homeowners avoid foreclosure. Interest rates were dropped and loans extended to 20-25 years.

Summary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement