Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:06 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,984,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
To me, 50 is young anywhere, now.
I was once one of those "wonderful young ladies" that 50-something's ogled, and it's because of that memory that I'm now so content being invisible.

That said, I like young, vibrant places, too!
There is no fool like an old fool......I have too keep telling myself that !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 10:49 PM

102 posts, read 167,383 times
I have really enjoyed these replies to my OP and found many of them very enlightening. I guess maybe I was having a bad day when I first posted my 'invisibilty in old age' question. But I take people as I find them, young or 'old' and this seems to work. In fact, a mate of mine from way back, joins me from time to time for coffee and we have a ball teasing or flattering young women in places we go. Nothing serious or sexist (well, at least we don't think we are being sexist) but just some fun banter maybe about their eyes, hair or names. It seems to have worked very positively and now we are known (and named) and smiled at in most of the places we frequent. We believe that many of these young ladies are neglected by way of compliments from the young men they know who just don't seem to know how to treat a lady!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:51 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,652,573 times
yes they are blind to the generation of people that know so much more than they.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Sadly the age of technology has produced people who have little or no social skills who are unable to survive without a cell phone/blackberry or IPad in constant ON mode. Many first job interviews are now done over the telephone too. I often wonder if people have lost their face-to-face skills.

Their mode of communication, through the computer, like Facebook, lacks any personal contact. They "talk" to one another but never say anything. Glad I won't be around for the next generation, because it's not looking too promising.
I agree and see that it won't be to long that even priest will be texting a wedding ceremony. lol

Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 PM

I seem to get lots of smies from so many young things, it makes me wonder. Maybe some have got the message about us old guys, Most of us have lived long enough to know something , maybe, just maybe they might find us interesting !

Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,575,719 times
This makes me look again at your post, which began this thread.
You spoke of you and your wife and gave no indication that your 'invisibility' problem was all about your flirting with young women. Just wondering, is your wife on board with this?
I'm pretty darn sure these 'young ladies' aren't nearly as thrilled about your teasing and flattering as you imagine. And I'm even more sure that yes, you're being sexist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
I have really enjoyed these replies to my OP and found many of them very enlightening. I guess maybe I was having a bad day when I first posted my 'invisibilty in old age' question. But I take people as I find them, young or 'old' and this seems to work. In fact, a mate of mine from way back, joins me from time to time for coffee and we have a ball teasing or flattering young women in places we go. Nothing serious or sexist (well, at least we don't think we are being sexist) but just some fun banter maybe about their eyes, hair or names. It seems to have worked very positively and now we are known (and named) and smiled at in most of the places we frequent. We believe that many of these young ladies are neglected by way of compliments from the young men they know who just don't seem to know how to treat a lady!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:02 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,575,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I seem to get lots of smies from so many young things, it makes me wonder. Maybe some have got the message about us old guys, Most of us have lived long enough to know something , maybe, just maybe they might find us interesting !
More likely, they're angling for a big tip.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:37 PM

454 posts, read 796,542 times
I think along with being "invisible" to those under the age of 40, what really bugs me is when people call you "dearie, or sweetie"... or you say something witty and a 30-something says "oh i just love you cute feisty little seniors!". Or a clerk sees your age on your ID/driver's license they say "Ooooo you look good for 60" (or 70 or 80 or whatever). LOL so someone over 60 is supposed to not look good?

Old 08-05-2012, 11:42 PM

102 posts, read 167,383 times
Quote:
This makes me look again at your post, which began this thread.
You spoke of you and your wife and gave no indication that your 'invisibility' problem was all about your flirting with young women. Just wondering, is your wife on board with this?
I'm pretty darn sure these 'young ladies' aren't nearly as thrilled about your teasing and flattering as you imagine. And I'm even more sure that yes, you're being sexist.
Yes, you are undoubtedly right and I unreservedly apologise to all the women (especiallly young women) of the world. And no, my wife doesn't take this nearly as seriously as you obviously do.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
More likely, they're angling for a big tip.
I refuse to except that ! Yes that happens but you can see through the way it works. The best waitress gals are always named Alice ,sometimes Ruby, it depends....no, I mean that is what they wear under the uniform these days Yes my real favorites are getting a bit long in the tooth. Many of the gum chewing, seasoned , gals are gone now....being replaced by bobble head dunces that can,t even make change. I should know, was engaged to one of the pros, just could not stand her ankle bitting kid. Then I had a small interlude with a nice blond that dumped me , sorta caused my first divorce to happen quicker than expected ....:I guess you could say I was attracted to truck stop sweet things . Nothing wrong with that now, was just being honest. If I could go back I would do it all over again.Now I am a sad and tired old man, with a lot of memories of my truck driving days so long ago. Of all the gals I dated, who came and went through my door, I only have good thoughts, no retreats, except the one who got away in 1973, I will never forget her as long as I live....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement