Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:31 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,695,223 times

Advertisements

You should check out school bus driving.

I retired from Federal service about 10 years ago and within 6 months was going out of my mind with boredom. One day, I just happened to get behind a County school bus with a "Caution Driver Training" on the back of it. I thought "Mmmm maybe I should try that?".

I'll be starting my 10th year this September and I absolutely LOVE the job. Although I don't need the money...I'm making over $40K a year and am vested in the County pension system, so I'll be a "double dipper" one day! LOL I'm holding off on the SS because the job pays too much.

I wouldn't drive school bus just anywhere, but my district is very affluent, so there's no major discipline problems and our buses are top of the line...rear engine, air conditioned, air brakes...the works....like driving a Cadillac!

Plus I'm off all summer (I boat too, in a 1967 57-foot Chris*Craft Connie!)...and off from 9-1 every morning too.

My favorite part of the job is the athletic trips...we take six buses to the away football games on Friday night and have a BLAST (I usually drive the cheerleaders!). On those trips, I often think to myself..."I can't frickin' believe they're paying me to do this!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,463,515 times
Go to a temp agency and give them your requirements. At least get on their list of willing and able.

Maybe a data-entry job?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:02 PM

15,136 posts, read 32,402,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Go to a temp agency and give them your requirements. At least get on their list of willing and able.

Maybe a data-entry job?
Temp agencies don't have any work, and are a complete joke. There's a post in the Unemployment Forum about temp agencies, and most people agree with this.

I work event security, and at least they do have work. But I'm still looking for a full time job, and if it ever happens, I'll go off of SS.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,013,942 times
That really depends on where you live.There are mnay places that I see even sign for parttime workers constantly here. The Ops real problem will come in matching a employer to his terms which means more a personal search.Alot of companies also are not going to give much access to computer files to a temp or partime worker as far as that goes.Data entry was a good suggestion on that.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:20 PM

9,013 posts, read 20,429,558 times
Yes, I do have some terms that must be met! Wife wants me home at night with her.......I do the cooking! Weekends we want to do things together, so, that only leaves the daytime hours of Monday thru Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That really depends on where you live.There are mnay places that I see even sign for parttime workers constantly here. The Ops real problem will come in matching a employer to his terms which means more a personal search.Alot of companies also are not going to give much access to computer files to a temp or partime worker as far as that goes.Data entry was a good suggestion on that.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 PM

487 posts, read 905,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Temp agencies don't have any work, and are a complete joke. There's a post in the Unemployment Forum about temp agencies, and most people agree with this.

I work event security, and at least they do have work. But I'm still looking for a full time job, and if it ever happens, I'll go off of SS.
I got an office job through a temp agency and been on this assignment for over 2 years! The key to getting work through them is have good references and call them regularly to show you really want to work. Accept any short term assignment and do an outstanding job. You have lots of competition and if you don't answer their phone calls for assignments or call them, you'll just be lost in the shuffle.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 PM

15,136 posts, read 32,402,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
I got an office job through a temp agency and been on this assignment for over 2 years! Accept any short term assignment and do an outstanding job. You have lots of competition and if you don't answer their phone calls for assignments or call them, you'll just be lost in the shuffle.
What temp agency is this that actually has work? I emailed my resume to every temp service, and got three responses. I was told, "We'll be in touch when we have something for you.I've been calling 3x per week since March of 2009. No work yet. I got tired of calling and getting the same response of, "We don't have anything right now, but just keep calling."

As for references, I have them, but they've never been asked for, and if I had to depend on them, I'd be on the street. I don't know where you live, but the temp services here don't have any work. They depend on their call center contracts and a few others to stay afloat. That's why I work events, because when I call for work, I get work, and I can be selective about where I work. I take public transportation to save money, so I only work where I can get on that. I only drive to work if I'm scheduled late at night, and I can't catch the bus to get home.

Check out the thread on the Unemployment Forum about temp agencies, you might find it interesting. I don't bother with them anymore.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,637,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
...no college degree and/or certificationin...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Would have to be daytime hours only and no weekends.........at my wife's request (or should I say "orders"). AND, I'm not sure I really want to work with/for the public. Dealing with the public isn't the way it was years ago and now that I'm older with (sometimes) much less patience.......well, you know what I'm talking about.
You must ask yourself what you can offer an employer that makes you better than the other job applicants. Demanding that you work at your convenience will put you at the bottom of the list. Without educational or employment credentials you'll either be working in a job dealing with the public on a low level or you'll be doing hard work. After you prove yourself you'll find something better.

Life is not always what we wish it to be. In the case of working we either do what we can or we condemn ourselves to perpetual poverty. Would you like to keep your boat? Would you like to live in a safe place? You've bragged about not acting your age. It seems that the time has come to begin whether you like it or not..

Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 AM

Remember now, I'm ONLY looking for a part-time job, so I can be "picky". I also know that by saying "no weekends" and "daytime hours only" I'm reducing my chances.......BUT, my wife tells me "that's ok" and she IS the boss!! No, I don't have the Degree and/or Certification and ain't gonna get either! Being the fact that my wife does make a descent income and my SS will help that, losing our boat or having to move......."isn't gonna happen" until we want it to.
AND, when I'm "on the job", I do act my age and am very professional (most of the time)........just ask my last supervisor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You must ask yourself what you can offer an employer that makes you better than the other job applicants. Demanding that you work at your convenience will put you at the bottom of the list. Without educational or employment credentials you'll either be working in a job dealing with the public on a low level or you'll be doing hard work. After you prove yourself you'll find something better.

Life is not always what we wish it to be. In the case of working we either do what we can or we condemn ourselves to perpetual poverty. Would you like to keep your boat? Would you like to live in a safe place? You've bragged about not acting your age. It seems that the time has come to begin whether you like it or not..

Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 AM

Have to admit, I've NEVER had an employment agency cooperate with me!! "Nothing available, but keep in touch", "nothing available, but keep in touch" is all I've ever heard! I have "some" references, but not nearly like a younger person would have! The last company I worked for, the department I worked in was shut down earlier this year. The company before that, shut it's doors......doesn't exsist anymore! I have my last supervisor's home phone number to use (with his permission), but agencies and some companies require a business number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
What temp agency is this that actually has work? I emailed my resume to every temp service, and got three responses. I was told, "We'll be in touch when we have something for you.I've been calling 3x per week since March of 2009. No work yet. I got tired of calling and getting the same response of, "We don't have anything right now, but just keep calling."

As for references, I have them, but they've never been asked for, and if I had to depend on them, I'd be on the street. I don't know where you live, but the temp services here don't have any work. They depend on their call center contracts and a few others to stay afloat. That's why I work events, because when I call for work, I get work, and I can be selective about where I work. I take public transportation to save money, so I only work where I can get on that. I only drive to work if I'm scheduled late at night, and I can't catch the bus to get home.

Check out the thread on the Unemployment Forum about temp agencies, you might find it interesting. I don't bother with them anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement