Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:31 AM

15,137 posts, read 32,414,823 times

Advertisements

Most of the people that I worked with in the school district have retired, or gotten other jobs. All an employer can do is verify that I did work there, nothing else. My manager at H&R Block will give me a reference, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,406,385 times
I have two colleagues who retired in May. One is 56 and the other 57. Both got jobs working at Starbucks (though they do have to stand, I assume, you said you didn't want to stand). The amazing thing is that after 6 months, they will get some medical and dental benefits.

Starbucks is very friendly in hiring older folks or retirees.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,406,385 times
Quote:
All an employer can do is verify that I did work there, nothing else.
While this technically true, it is legal to ask the prior employer, "Would you hire this person again?" If a "no" is received, I would guess the prospect of being hired by someone else might be bleak.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 AM

9,017 posts, read 20,437,658 times
Nope, the old ankle (from ankle surgery) would most likely swell up like a balloon (perhaps a little smaller) and my right hip (hip replacement) could definitely start talking to me. Job has to be a "sit down, desk/computer" type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I have two colleagues who retired in May. One is 56 and the other 57. Both got jobs working at Starbucks (though they do have to stand, I assume, you said you didn't want to stand). The amazing thing is that after 6 months, they will get some medical and dental benefits.

Starbucks is very friendly in hiring older folks or retirees.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:03 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,262,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Temp agencies don't have any work, and are a complete joke. There's a post in the Unemployment Forum about temp agencies, and most people agree with this.

I work event security, and at least they do have work. But I'm still looking for a full time job, and if it ever happens, I'll go off of SS.
So far temp agencies have been pointless and useless for me in Florida. Even the same agency that always found work for me in Dallas have not responded to me at all her in the Tampa area.

moved ... before you go off of SS, please check it out. Without looking it up again, I think that you can do that only if you repay all SS earned so far.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,275,053 times
Smile See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, since I was unemployed for a few years and having a very difficult time finding another job, I was very happy when I turned 62 a month ago and able to apply/get my Early Retirement/SS. All of my unemployment benefits had run out, so no more money there. So, without any money coming in for me at all, this SS was excellent choice for me. Anyway, due to age, some physical limitations (3 past surgeries) and no college degree and/or certification, I'm still having a hard time even finding a part-time job and wondering if anyone else is in the same situation? I want a "desk job" using a computer, since I can no longer lift/move around heavy things, stand too long. I use to be able to work in a warehouse, stockroom and do some delivery work, but seems like those days are gone now. So, I'm 100% content with getting SS, but would like a little bit more money coming in for wife and I.
It's extremely nice having money coming in without "job stress" going on anymore, but......
You sound like a nice fun guy but as an employer, I want someone to tell me what they CAN do for me. I want them to be excited and care about the position not just a paycheck. I don't want to hear about limitations and surgeries. (I have a disability and long ago I learned, people just want the job done - I talk about it here just to vent b/c no one really cares - bottom line). I wouldn't brag about being on SS either - just say you have other income if that comes up. Employers want you there for the long term - not to up and leave after a period of training.

Maybe a nursing home, adult facility, hospital front desk, something like that. Go out and check out the places that seem to hire older workers.
Also, you like the water - how about at a marina?

Old 07-20-2011, 04:22 PM

9,017 posts, read 20,437,658 times
As already stated, I'm only looking for a part-time job. A person can simply say "I've got other income", but that statement may not set well with some employers. Sometimes, an employer will try and get out of a person where the other income is coming from. If not told a good enough answer, an employer can definitely think a person is withholding info asked about......that isn't good either! Working in a marina would definitely be weekend work.......wife would say "no, no".......and I'd agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
You sound like a nice fun guy but as an employer, I want someone to tell me what they CAN do for me. I want them to be excited and care about the position not just a paycheck. I don't want to hear about limitations and surgeries. (I have a disability and long ago I learned, people just want the job done - I talk about it here just to vent b/c no one really cares - bottom line). I wouldn't brag about being on SS either - just say you have other income if that comes up. Employers want you there for the long term - not to up and leave after a period of training.

Maybe a nursing home, adult facility, hospital front desk, something like that. Go out and check out the places that seem to hire older workers.
Also, you like the water - how about at a marina?

Old 07-20-2011, 06:44 PM

23 posts, read 42,329 times
I am receiving Survivor's Benefits and recently obtained a part time job through my state's employment service. I'm working as an office manager for an appliance repair company, 30 hrs. per week, $9.00 per hour. It fills the budget gap perfectly and best of all, I have no coworkers! Check your state's employment service.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:57 PM

419 posts, read 759,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Remember now, I'm ONLY looking for a part-time job, so I can be "picky".
Unless you have been living under a rock you must know that there are millions of underemployed people in this country. As their unemployment benefits run out these people are snapping up part-time jobs and sometimes several in order to stay afloat. So, if you are serious about getting a job, maybe now is not the time to be so "picky".

Have you ever thought about what would happen if your wife lost her job? Yes, that is a possibility in today's financial environment. Or maybe someday soon she will realize that all of your enduring quirky personality traits will not make up for the fact that you are contributing very little financially to the household. I bet she expects you to get a job even though she has put stipulations on the hours and days you are allowed to work. Of course, maybe she is the type of woman who likes to take care of a child/man financially. Good luck to you!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 PM

8 posts, read 45,908 times
You appear to have narrowed where you'll work and what kind of work you're willing to do. I fear you're going to have a hard time of it unless you broaden your parameters. However, you're in a very enviable position since you don't need medical coverage. Why not just take it easy for a while until the job market gets better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement