Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2018, 06:43 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times

Advertisements

We received the final check from our lawyer that was being held in escrow from the sale of our NY home that happened before the New Year. That s how long it took to track down that we had paid off our mortgage. If you have paid off your mortgage, make sure the mortgage holder has forwarded the info to be recorded with your county and that you received paperwork or can find it. We did neither and while the thought of moving wasn’t even in our thoughts more than 15 years ago, we should have been on top of it.

After DH had his pay direct deposited into our credit union here successfully, we closed out our accounts with our NY savings and loan we has been with for 32 years last week also. While it was a bit sad that all ties are now broken there, that feeling was replaced quickly with being happy to be in one place without any responsibilities other than here. What I’ve called our slow move is finally done.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:16 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Jean -- Congratulations on your completed move! Finally! That is a good point about the mortgage and home lein release proof.

So many little things we have to think about these days. Home lien releases and car/truck lien releases. And even a little thing like a certified marriage certificate is important! Life is complicated these days....

Old 04-24-2018, 06:22 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Default Variable temps.......spring time in the Rockies

Low temp this morning at approx 6:20am was 21F........temp at noon 59F.......temp now at 5:40pm is 69F....tomorrow supposed to be high in my area of about 75
...no wind or breeze and not a cloud in the sky.

Have not had any snow on the ground for about 6 weeks in my immeadiate area(3560 ' elvation)....but the high country on both sides of the valley have approx 170% of normal snow pack . Last I heard the highway pass(7015 feet) 56 miles south of me going to Salmon, ID, has about 68 inches of snow pack adjacent to the highway,and the top of the ski runs further up into the mountains a couple of miles up grade at 11,000+ feet have 9 to 14 feet.

The year-round creek that is my southern property line has gone from 15 feet wide to 25 feet and the depth has increased by approx 14 inches in the last 48 hours.

Maximum run off from this year's snow pack will occur about mid June.

Just in the last 14 to 18 days the Quail and Turkey are back and Osprey and Eagles appear to be getting ready to re-occupy last years nests.
Great time of year!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2018, 08:55 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
We are on our fourth day of rain here in Middle Tennessee and looks like we won't see the sun until Saturday. Temperatures are moderate and the advance scout hummingbird is here. The dogwoods are all blooming. Should be real pretty when the sun returns. Looking forward to the summer concerts in the park starting Memorial Day weekend.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:15 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Saw my first hummingbird yesterday.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:55 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

Have not had any snow on the ground for about 6 weeks in my immeadiate area(3560 ' elvation)....but the high country on both sides of the valley have approx 170% of normal snow pack . Last I heard the highway pass(7015 feet) 56 miles south of me going to Salmon, ID, has about 68 inches of snow pack adjacent to the highway,and the top of the ski runs further up into the mountains a couple of miles up grade at 11,000+ feet have 9 to 14 feet.

The year-round creek that is my southern property line has gone from 15 feet wide to 25 feet and the depth has increased by approx 14 inches in the last 48 hours.

Maximum run off from this year's snow pack will occur about mid June.

Great time of year!!!!!!!!!
Was reading about this in last Friday's paper. Hoping it won't cause a repeat of 2011.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Bit of a divergence.

I hate buying cars!!

Even when we know what we want there's always a roadblock. A tree down. Or a manufacturer that doesn't sell the car in the state we live in, of all things.

So now we are looking to buy in California. The interesting part is that everyone says to deal with the Internet Sales Manager. Hard to do when they don't respond. We're on dealer three now, with one out of the picture there's hope for one of two. Ask questions, send the email...... Nothing. I know the car we are looking for is available and at a price we are willing to pay. But..... nothing.

I'm not driving 4 1/2 hours, paying to stay in what (I'm certain) will be an expensive hotel - it is California, and it is Los Angeles. So for now we have a standoff.

On the plus side a friend's son lives in Laguna Beach and when he bought a car he had someone find it for him. We will call him tomorrow and get the skinny. Maybe we can avoid the hassles.

2017 Hyundia Sonata PHEV. It fits both of us (5'-1 and 6'-2), is comfortable has great back seat room, a small trunk (battery), handles great, and has all the bells and whistles the we feel we need as we get older. it gets 27 miles on the battery alone and since it's a plug-in we start with the full 27 miles every day. We estimate that 99% of our driving will be on battery. For long trips it has a 15.8 gallon gas tank and will get over 500 miles on a tank. And a break on our electric bill. Feds will credit us $4,919.00 on our tax bill. And we will definitely use all of it.

And if this doesn't work out the 2018 is being released this quarter. If they redesign it like Toyota did the Camry and move the battery out of the trunk then it's even better.

It helps that we really don't have to buy now, we just feel we are ready. If things don't work out we'll just wait.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:36 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Gosh when I bought my Jeep 5 years ago here, I walked into the dealership found the one I wanted, got an offer on my Mustang (which was more than what I paid for it), signed a couple of papers and drove out in my Jeep. Even had a full tank of gas. Couldn't have been easier.

I get free oil changes for the rest of the life of the Jeep too.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:13 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Bit of a divergence.

I hate buying cars!!

Even when we know what we want there's always a roadblock. A tree down. Or a manufacturer that doesn't sell the car in the state we live in, of all things.

So now we are looking to buy in California. The interesting part is that everyone says to deal with the Internet Sales Manager. Hard to do when they don't respond. We're on dealer three now, with one out of the picture there's hope for one of two. Ask questions, send the email...... Nothing. I know the car we are looking for is available and at a price we are willing to pay. But..... nothing.
If you have AAA, they have a car buying service that can get you cars from out of state.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
If you have AAA, they have a car buying service that can get you cars from out of state.
Edit: Is that the one that uses Truecar? I've already done that to find matching cars around Los Angeles. Or is there a different service I didn't see on the AAA site?

Hah! Yes we do and I had no idea.

Time to check AAA.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement