Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 01:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Gosh when I bought my Jeep 5 years ago here, I walked into the dealership found the one I wanted, got an offer on my Mustang (which was more than what I paid for it), signed a couple of papers and drove out in my Jeep. Even had a full tank of gas. Couldn't have been easier.

I get free oil changes for the rest of the life of the Jeep too.
Where we used to live it was easier. We'd go into the Sales Managers office and do a deal with him. No, "I have to ask my manager" crap.

Now it's out of state for this car. Not so simple.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:35 AM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Insomnia hits! Don't know why I have it tonight but it's 3:28 & I can't sleep. Actually did go to bed about 12, but after tossing & turning I just got up.

Another benefit of retirement, if I can't fall asleep soon, I can take a nap anytime I want to.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:40 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Dirt bikes and 4 wheelers decided to have a "night run" behind my house from 8pm to 2am. Cloud of dust when they all finally left. I woke up coughing sneezing, layer of dirt on everything and I've been dusting and cleaning all morning.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:21 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Dirt bikes and 4 wheelers decided to have a "night run" behind my house from 8pm to 2am. Cloud of dust when they all finally left. I woke up coughing sneezing, layer of dirt on everything and I've been dusting and cleaning all morning.

I would go crazy living in a place like that. My neighborhood is so quiet I sometimes wonder if they've all got up and left me here by myself. Well, except for that pesky rooster next door who just HAS to start in at 4:30-5:00 every morning! He's not all that loud or annoying, really, but he still wakes me up. On work days I don't mind but days off?? I keep threatening chicken and dumplings!

Old 04-27-2018, 09:36 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Woke up this morning to sunshine after about a week of cloudy skies and off and on again rain! Blue skies and a cup of coffee sure starts my day off on a good note.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:02 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Went fishing today NO WIND! Sunshine and way to warm for me 75 degrees. Caught my limit of rainbow trout (4) and plan to grill all four for supper tonight.

Next weeks forecast is for cooler weather in the 50's and rain most of the week. YAY!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2018, 03:09 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
This week has been beautiful with highs around 80, which will last through the weekend. Next week the temps climb into the mid/upper 80’s and will stay there until mid October. A crew finished replacing the regular rain gutters with super gutters in the pool area this afternoon and will be return tomorrow to begin erecting the pool cage. The pool’s interior surface gets plastered mid week, an acid wash the next day and then filling the pool begins. Just in time.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-27-2018 at 03:22 PM..

Old 04-27-2018, 08:18 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
This week has been beautiful with highs around 80, which will last through the weekend. Next week the temps climb into the mid/upper 80’s and will stay there until mid October. A crew finished replacing the regular rain gutters with super gutters in the pool area this afternoon and will be return tomorrow to begin erecting the pool cage. The pool’s interior surface gets plastered mid week, an acid wash the next day and then filling the pool begins. Just in time.
Have some former neighbors (lived 1/2 mile down the county road on 15 forested acres) who, at age 68 & 69 decided to finally leave Montana and late last fall bought a 16 yr old private home on Marco Island.
There is extensive landscaping around the pool and the former owner suggested they look into having a "pool Cage" installed so that the 28 x 58 pool would be kept free of leaves etc, as well as making it mosquito and bug proof, and as well as providing a physical barrier for keeping unattended children from possibly falling into the pool............They mentioned that there would be a reduction in their home owner's insurance premium even though the property is fenced with a lockable gate.
It would also provide a more desirable environment for outdoor cooking and dining.
I did not ask, but they volunteered a cost figure of $15,351................I damned near dropped the phone into my ice creme (covered with Kalauha by the way).
I know they made out quite well on the sale of their home here on 15 acres, but I would guess Marco Island COL overall is quite high..(6/10th acre lot size).
I don't know if I could adjust coming from 15 ac to that small lot size.........but I also am well aware that "we all have different priorities", and they change as we age.
Anyway, I wish them a smooth transition and (hopefully an invitation for a week next winter!.....haha.)
NOTE:......just did quick calculation........
...73,859 gallons to fill that pool. (w/ AVG depth of 6 feet/)...........
He said he is going to look into converting it into a "Salt Water Pool".........What benefits??.....and could it be filled with filtered water from the ocean??
Any comments and opinions are welcome.........I. have NO background or knowledge in this field, I 'm just "an old geezer" looking to broaden my field of knowledge.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 04-27-2018 at 08:34 PM..

Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Quote:
Went fishing today NO WIND! Sunshine and way to warm for me 75 degrees. Caught my limit of rainbow trout (4) and plan to grill all four for supper tonight.

Next weeks forecast is for cooler weather in the 50's and rain most of the week. YAY!!!!!!!!!
I always enjoy reading you caught trout for supper and you will be grilling them tonight. I want to know what "sides" you have with your trout for supper. I picture coleslaw and/or potato salad, but these need to be made in advance, and you often go fishing "on the fly", pun intended.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:31 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:

When I told my wife what you were having for dinner, she is so jealous. Fresh caught trout is way high on her list of a great dinner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement