Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 05:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Netflix imposter scam, seniors beware:

Netflix scam put users' credit cards, personal data information at risk - CBS News

Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Going to NYC tomorrow by bus for the day ... gonna see my favorite uncle who is 80 and lives in lower Manhattan near Ground Zero.

What is the distance from Center City Philly to downtown Manhattan? 90 miles. How long does it take from Center City Philly? 2 hours (actually about 1 hour 40 minutes, but it's 20 minutes just the drive 12 to 14 blocks through Manhattan to the bus station in near Canal Street.) How much does it cost? $18 roundtrip.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Going to NYC tomorrow by bus for the day ... gonna see my favorite uncle who is 80 and lives in lower Manhattan near Ground Zero.

What is the distance from Center City Philly to downtown Manhattan? 90 miles. How long does it take from Center City Philly? 2 hours (actually about 1 hour 40 minutes, but it's 20 minutes just the drive 12 to 14 blocks through Manhattan to the bus station in near Canal Street.) How much does it cost? $18 roundtrip.
Google Maps says I can be at there in about 7 hours. Ride with you and while you visit Dear Uncle I'll go to Gem Spa for a chocolate egg cream, then a long subway ride up to spend the day at The Cloisters and finish up back down in Chinatown at Wo Hops for dinner. Somewhere along the way I'll pick up a dozen hard rolls to bring back home.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We're heading back to NY in the coming week.........!

You also know it snowed in some parts yesterday?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

Have a wonderful time with your uncle...I'm sure he's looking forward to your visit.

My sisters and I were in NYC last month for the weekend. Among other things, we walked the High Line, saw "The Book of Mormon" (two thumbs up), and spent time in Central Park. Had a great time...

Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
We had 2 very cold nights here (30's).
I covered my veggie garden with old flannel sheets weighted down with lumber.
Who doesn't like flannel when it's cold outside

So happy..no damage to peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.
The onions look a bit wind worn from the high winds..the stalks are all tilted to the south but they are still growing !

Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
19F this morning and an inch of snow. Brrrrrrrr

Jeanj, sorry for you feeling sad, have a safe trip.

Clark, your trip sounds fun, have a good time. I had an eccentric great aunt who lived in NYC and I remember it was always fun ti visit her when I was little.

HT happy for your garden!

Mom is flying up for her sister's service tomorrow, she passed Wednesday. Then she will driver her sister's cat to our place. I haven't seen her since my stepdad passed in September 2012. So sad.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Had an appointment yesterday morning, so got up early, took my time getting ready, went out to the car to warm it (temps were in the 20s, wind chill in the teens and snow/sleet during the night).

Ice had formed in the doors due to the high winds and freezing rain.

I couldn't get any of the doors opened.

Time was ticking.

Luckily, my son was available and helped me pour warm water on the door handle. Finally got it to open. Had to warm the car . . . was 45 mins. late to my appointment.

Lesson # 1: I hate not having a garage or at least, a car port. I have been saying for 4 years that I need a car cover of some sort but Hubby said that was silly and unnecessary. I am getting a car cover!!!! It would be nice not to have the pollen accumulate, as well.

Lesson # 2: If the temps are subfreezing, I am going to go out to my car an hour before I have to leave and make sure I can get into it and let it warm for a bit so no surprises when I need to leave.

The whole day was disastrous as far as appointments. I haven't checked to see what as going on astrologically, but I am definitely going to see what in the universe was in play, as it was more than merely strange.

I was driving an hour to inspect the townhome I am buying, and the furnace guy was supposed to be there. In addition, appointments were made over a week ago with all utility companies, with several followups to each one, to have gas, electric and water turned on.

None of the utilities were on. Two realtors (seller's and mine) showed up as they were concerned that none of the utility companies had followed through. So it was very pleasant talking to them - met a new friend (realtor's wife) - as we have much in common, including friends and past work history. Very pleasant as far as being with these folks. But wow . . . standing around for 3 hours and utility companies that kept saying things had been turned on (woops, it was delayed) . . . or "someone will be there within 45 mins" (but they never showed up). And so forth.

Had a nice lunch with my realtor and my handyman, who was right where he was supposed to be on time!

Very odd day. I am suspecting Uranus and Neptune may have been acting up (electricity, water, gas). Gonna plot this so I will recognize that same configuration in the future and plan accordingly.

Today, I have my crown placed on my tooth. Second attempt. First crown didn't fit correctly. Praying this time things will go well.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:07 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Sounds like 'one of those days' Ani but at least wasn't all bad.
I'm visiting C_D waiting for my frustration level to rejuvenate.
Half hour into computer use and the thing died...really dead.
Had to wait 2 hours for the earliest opening store (Walmart) to open at 7 AM since I discovered I 'can't' go without one

Crap! Not only do I have to get used to and configure a new cmachine and get rid of all the crap they come loaded with but forgot the thing would come with Win 8 on it. So far I hate it and find it totally unintuitive.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post

Crap! Not only do I have to get used to and configure a new cmachine and get rid of all the crap they come loaded with but forgot the thing would come with Win 8 on it. So far I hate it and find it totally unintuitive.
Have had Win 8 for over a year, and I'm still arguing with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement