Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 02:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times

Advertisements

Last night about 9:30 I made a quick trip to the Walmart Neighborhood Mkt, which is just a mile away. I only had a few things in the cart. They opened a new lane, because there was only one open "regular" lane and the customer service lane. So I went over to the newly opened land and was unloading my groceries, and a younger lady, 40-ish, appears behind me in line, and starts helping me unload the gallons of milk and OJ and apple juice. I guess I must have looked tired, perhaps?? So my order gets rung up and I pay for it....and by golly, the sweet lady behind me comes around in front of me and proceeds to load all my groceries into my cart!! I did thank her, very nicely, and told her I would be paying it forward. So I am still wondering if perhaps I was just too slow or if she was in a big hurry, or if my shortness made me seem less capable? Anyway, I thought that was very nice, and I did really appreciate her help!!

Old 07-02-2015, 04:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Sitting in front of the computer, been here almost all day. It's really gorgeous outdoors. And I haven't even gotten dressed yet (it is 6:15 p.m.). Felt lousy, thought if I took it easy today it would get better. Instead just sitting here feeling sorry for myself. Lonely, wishing I had someone to stop by or even call. I usually don't mind this when I'm feeling good cuz I get out and breathe fresh air. Or find something to do.

What do some of you do when you find yourself having a day like today?

Some of you know Wendy.... she is becoming a wonderful cat. Very cute and sometimes comical. No pictures yet because I don't know how to do it. I have Windows 8.1 and that seems to have changed everything I could do before. Makes me mad. I'm electronically challenged to begin with. Once I learn how to do something, why do they change it?

Old 07-02-2015, 05:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Awww NYgal. Everyone has days like this. And I say, this, cause I had one today, sat at the computer all day looking at houses. But here, I would have eased my tensions by gardening if it were not so hot out. I guess there you can't do that. Anyway, I also get in the car and go to a store and talk to people. Or I read a good book. Or I go to the library so I won't spend $. Or I go for a walk in the indoor mall. Or I email old friends to see how they are. Or I trim the dogs, if they will cooperate. Or I clean ! Love to clean. Makes me feel better.

If you are craving human contact, you need a human so contact one ! People don't drop in anymore (at least not around here), so you have to go out to them. It's not easy.

Regarding the computer, I agree, why they don't leave well enough alone ? Just when you get the hang of it, POOF, it's gone. I hope your day is better tomorrow. Barb

Old 07-02-2015, 05:22 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Sitting in front of the computer, been here almost all day. It's really gorgeous outdoors. And I haven't even gotten dressed yet (it is 6:15 p.m.). Felt lousy, thought if I took it easy today it would get better. Instead just sitting here feeling sorry for myself. Lonely, wishing I had someone to stop by or even call. I usually don't mind this when I'm feeling good cuz I get out and breathe fresh air. Or find something to do.

What do some of you do when you find yourself having a day like today?

Some of you know Wendy.... she is becoming a wonderful cat. Very cute and sometimes comical. No pictures yet because I don't know how to do it. I have Windows 8.1 and that seems to have changed everything I could do before. Makes me mad. I'm electronically challenged to begin with. Once I learn how to do something, why do they change it?
I am on an antidepressant & still have days like that, although not so much since I moved to my apartment. For me, dark, dreary days depress me. As soon as it's sunny, I do fine. Sometimes I have to force myself to get out and/or do things.
And why do they change computer programs? Money. I use the help feature a lot. Even then though, it takes a lot longer.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:54 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
PhxBarb: Thank you for understanding what today has felt like to me.

I normally do get in the car and go somewhere, grocery store, coffee shop, anything to get change of scenery and talk to others. But today I needed to stick close to the bathroom. I think I've been eating too much fruit. So today I've been an unwilling captive.

meo92953: I've been taking antidepressant for many, many years. Today's depression doesn't come close to how I used to feel before the meds. Today was really pretty out there, sunny and not too hot.

And with the computer / camera / pictures problem, even with help I still don't understand it. It was so easy before. Thought they would make things easier for us retired folks.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:25 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Last night about 9:30 I made a quick trip to the Walmart Neighborhood Mkt, which is just a mile away. I only had a few things in the cart. They opened a new lane, because there was only one open "regular" lane and the customer service lane. So I went over to the newly opened land and was unloading my groceries, and a younger lady, 40-ish, appears behind me in line, and starts helping me unload the gallons of milk and OJ and apple juice. I guess I must have looked tired, perhaps?? So my order gets rung up and I pay for it....and by golly, the sweet lady behind me comes around in front of me and proceeds to load all my groceries into my cart!! I did thank her, very nicely, and told her I would be paying it forward. So I am still wondering if perhaps I was just too slow or if she was in a big hurry, or if my shortness made me seem less capable? Anyway, I thought that was very nice, and I did really appreciate her help!!

Whatever the motivation, that was a sweet thing for her to do. Help is help no matter the reason.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:57 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
PhxBarb: Thank you for understanding what today has felt like to me.

I normally do get in the car and go somewhere, grocery store, coffee shop, anything to get change of scenery and talk to others. But today I needed to stick close to the bathroom. I think I've been eating too much fruit. So today I've been an unwilling captive.

meo92953: I've been taking antidepressant for many, many years. Today's depression doesn't come close to how I used to feel before the meds. Today was really pretty out there, sunny and not too hot.

And with the computer / camera / pictures problem, even with help I still don't understand it. It was so easy before. Thought they would make things easier for us retired folks.
Even us tecchie types get impatient with all the changes-for-the-sake-of-change.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:00 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
NE folk, is this going to be another cold and wet summer? I'm considering making some cornbread because it's so cool, DH is whining that he's cold......
I'm not a NE folk just a Midwest one but it sure is looking like a cold, wet summer I'm so tired of being cold, and though the temps have been barely reaching the 70's the humidity here has stayed consistently above 50% for over a month! Yesterday was 63 degrees with 65% humidity. Everything has a damp feel and no we don't have a dehumidifier

Of course my brother doesn't feel the cold like I do and he won't let me turn on the furnace - dang he's got every window open and a dang fan running constantly in his bedroom. Can't wait until I can get the h e double hockey pucks out of here!

Old 07-02-2015, 07:26 PM

I felt the same way when I was at my sister's. I love her but we are so different it was tough, I'm sure for her as much as it was for me.

I love being in my own apartment. I appreciate it so much.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
It couldbe a payback & many thanks to that young woman,wish I'd thought of that one. I have felt guilty for mey years because I was not patient & did resent the time I had to spend to take her shopping.PoP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement