Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 01:09 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times

Advertisements

Got out of the car today at work and a passerby remarked, "What do you think it is? Summer?" (I'm wearing shorts and a polo shirt today. Even though it was in the low 50s, it certainly didn't feel cold.)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-15-2016, 07:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Got out of the car today at work and a passerby remarked, "What do you think it is? Summer?" (I'm wearing shorts and a polo shirt today. Even though it was in the low 50s, it certainly didn't feel cold.).

I used to live where you do, back in the Stone Age. (I graduated from Palmdale High in 1960.) I remember the weather there and I also remember one HUGE snow storm in about 1959. That was rare though. Here it is definitely winter...or our version of it anyway. Today's high was 67 and it's 61 now with a low tonight of 53. However, that is going to end starting tomorrow. Rain is expected and for the next week the temps will range from highs of 51-62 and lows of 28-40. Brrrrr. BUT we don't have snow and all that so I won't complain. Just jack up the heat a little bit. lol There likely will be snow in the higher elevations...7,000 feet and maybe a tad lower...so we'll be able to enjoy it from afar. I only just last week started wearing my jacket to work in the mornings.

A couple more 'good folks' stories from today. The first one was small but so appreciated 'cause the guy it helped just realized he had LOST his wallet when he went to pay. Less that $5 but the poor guy was panicking. Next guy in line paid. The biggie though is that a guy went to the layaway dept. and paid for EVERY SINGLE ORDER that hadn't been picked up and it came to..........$10,000!! One of our associates that had things on layaway just happened to be there when it happened and she had just been wondering if she was going to have to let something go back so she could afford it. She broke down and cried and couldn't believe it was happening. The guy said he had heard about it happening elsewhere and it made him want to do it too. Is that fantastic or what??

Old 12-15-2016, 07:41 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I used to live where you do, back in the Stone Age. (I graduated from Palmdale High in 1960.) I remember the weather there and I also remember one HUGE snow storm in about 1959. That was rare though. Here it is definitely winter...or our version of it anyway. Today's high was 67 and it's 61 now with a low tonight of 53. However, that is going to end starting tomorrow. Rain is expected and for the next week the temps will range from highs of 51-62 and lows of 28-40. Brrrrr. BUT we don't have snow and all that so I won't complain. Just jack up the heat a little bit. lol There likely will be snow in the higher elevations...7,000 feet and maybe a tad lower...so we'll be able to enjoy it from afar. I only just last week started wearing my jacket to work in the mornings.

A couple more 'good folks' stories from today. The first one was small but so appreciated 'cause the guy it helped just realized he had LOST his wallet when he went to pay. Less that $5 but the poor guy was panicking. Next guy in line paid. The biggie though is that a guy went to the layaway dept. and paid for EVERY SINGLE ORDER that hadn't been picked up and it came to..........$10,000!! One of our associates that had things on layaway just happened to be there when it happened and she had just been wondering if she was going to have to let something go back so she could afford it. She broke down and cried and couldn't believe it was happening. The guy said he had heard about it happening elsewhere and it made him want to do it too. Is that fantastic or what??
Wow! He should be honored some how.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:48 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Wow! He should be honored some how.

According to him he has no desire to be "honored". There was talk of calling the newspaper and he squashed that idea. Said he'd just rather be anonymous and let him enjoy the "giving". Nice man.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:29 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Hiis name could be left out of it but a story in the paper acknowledging it and what it meant to people would surely be appreciated. "Our own special Santa~~~~~"

Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Sorry guys, venting again. 1° out now &, gosh gee, this is the warm night. The news says it will be much, much colder. Can't wait.

Saturday will be 2-4" of snow. Icy roads. -8°, -20° by Saturday, but, warms up to 10° on Monday. A heatwave.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:26 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Sorry guys, venting again. 1° out now &, gosh gee, this is the warm night. The news says it will be much, much colder. Can't wait.

Saturday will be 2-4" of snow. Icy roads. -8°, -20° by Saturday, but, warms up to 10° on Monday. A heatwave.
I agree that's seriously cold. But why vent? Isn't that what you expect at various times during the winter if you live in Minnesota? I don't believe you're new to Minnesota, so you're not just making a new discovery. It would be like people who live in Buffalo, New York complaining about the amount of snow. Or people in the hotter parts of the southwestern deserts complaining that the temperature got up to 110 degrees during the summer. Or me in the Los Angeles area complaining about the traffic. All those things are automatic go-withs.

I have spent a week or two at Christmas time more than once in Buffalo, New York, and I very much enjoyed it, The icy wind coming off Lake Erie is bracing! Of course yes, I would tire of it eventually. But in that climate, the houses are built for it - super well insulated, double pane glass, etc. And people have serious winter clothing for the very serious cold you described. For driving in the ice and snow there are studded snow tires or chains, the latter a minor pain to put on/take off I admit.

So each climate has its own challenges. When I was 14 we moved from St. Louis to Los Angeles and I missed the changing of the seasons. (We do have seasonal changes in Los Angeles, actually, but they are small enough so as to not really count in the sense that the term is normally understood).

What heating system do you have in the building where you live? I have natural gas forced air, which of course doesn't get used all that much, but I would hate to be without it.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:42 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Just for the hell of it I went back to the "last page" of the Retirement Forum, which takes us back to 2007. Most of the user names are unfamiliar to me, but here's three which I recognized: John1960, PNW-type-gal, and TuborgP. So here's a question for you old timers who go back to 2007 on City-Data: Do you find the Retirement Forum much different now?

Old 12-16-2016, 07:04 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Good morning! 62 degrees now and heading to 80 later. The kids/grandkids and other grands are going to Sea World for the weekend so we are planning a bike ride to the beach for ourselves along with some holiday prep.

The grandkids gave me a birthday present last week. It's a candy cane striped toilet paper holder that plays "I Wish You a Merry Christmas" with a few toot sounds as you unroll the TP. I forgot about it the first time in the water closet at 3am and I almost fell off the toilet. I think I may not be able to say I like all things Christmas anymore. I find it also promotes less TP useage.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:16 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
With regard to where I am living and the weather, the dreaded cold (Syracuse broke a record that was set 99 years ago)..... minus temps..... makes everyone cranky. Terrible accident last night during the white outs, a woman lost her bearings while driving on the parkway, left the road, ended up front facing down into 4 ft of water, didn't know where she was and stepped out of car. She couldn't get out of the water (half frozen) and died. Very sad, just before the Holidays.

Have had bad snowy weather, clear today, more bad snow coming tonight. So after having lived in this area almost my whole life (I was born in Buffalo, NY and remember very high snow banks)..... it becomes "very old" after a short time. Most of the time people call it having cabin fever. Can't get out easily, snow deep, have to dig out, clean off car, struggle to the destination we are heading in...... so it's just not fun. I daydream of sunny beaches, etc.

But eventually along comes spring and there is no prettier time here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement