Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I just took the dogs for a (short) walk and it was downright balmy (it was -9F).
Speaking of dogs...I spent this afternoon (frigid temp) with a dear dog (Shiba) who came to my doorstep this morning with no collar/tags. I let him in right away and offered some of our dog food, the poor thing was starving but looked healthy. I had seen this dog running down my street a few weeks back but figured s/he belonged to a neighbor somewhere. This dog played a little with my two but soon wanted to rest. I wanted to keep the dog but cannot do three. It did cross my mind to place an ad in the paper but I am going to be gone a few days and I knew I should get this dear animal to a safe place for adoption. So after I brought the dog to the shelter I emailed a friend who is now in NC and he says he would take the dog! He's not back here till this weekend. And I don't know if the dog is rightfully owned or not. I'm leaving Fri. Trying to decide whether to go beg the dog back from the shelter - and what if my friend decides he doesn't want the dog after all that? And if the shelter makes me apply for adoption and I have to pay the adoption fee (between four and five hundred). I'm feeling sorry I brought the dog in and wish I could go back and get him tonight.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Speaking of dogs...I spent this afternoon (frigid temp) with a dear dog (Shiba) who came to my doorstep this morning with no collar/tags. I let him in right away and offered some of our dog food, the poor thing was starving but looked healthy. I had seen this dog running down my street a few weeks back but figured s/he belonged to a neighbor somewhere. This dog played a little with my two but soon wanted to rest. I wanted to keep the dog but cannot do three. It did cross my mind to place an ad in the paper but I am going to be gone a few days and I knew I should get this dear animal to a safe place for adoption. So after I brought the dog to the shelter I emailed a friend who is now in NC and he says he would take the dog! He's not back here till this weekend. And I don't know if the dog is rightfully owned or not. I'm leaving Fri. Trying to decide whether to go beg the dog back from the shelter - and what if my friend decides he doesn't want the dog after all that? And if the shelter makes me apply for adoption and I have to pay the adoption fee (between four and five hundred). I'm feeling sorry I brought the dog in and wish I could go back and get him tonight.
Is it a no kill shelter or a kill shelter? I would contact them before they spend any money on him and try to get him back - especially if it's a kill shelter. If you call right away they may just give the poor pooch back.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL you got that right. Once it goes below freezing my inner big baby comes out big time. Can't even imagine how I'd feel at -9 degrees. Just thinking about it makes me want a hot toddy. (I think... what's in a hot toddy, any way?)
Looks like we won't see temps higher than 28 F until Sunday, overnight lows only down in the teens, not near or even zero. Had enough of that sort of misery in college in Plattsburgh, NY back many decades ago. Can't believe we used to run around in mini-skirts with leggings and fancy (fashionable) boots. Now it's lined Sorels if I have to go out for more than a few minutes in the snow and cold.

Sorel Caribou

Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Looks like we won't see temps higher than 28 F until Sunday, overnight lows only down in the teens, not near or even zero. Had enough of that sort of misery in college in Plattsburgh, NY back many decades ago. Can't believe we used to run around in mini-skirts with leggings and fancy (fashionable) boots. Now it's lined Sorels if I have to go out for more than a few minutes in the snow and cold.

Sorel Caribou
Well, I wear 50 lbs. of clothes~~~~and that's when I'm inside a heated house.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Can't believe we used to run around in mini-skirts with leggings and fancy (fashionable) boots.
I know! And I can remember walking to school with my coat open to show off the great new mini dress I got for Christmas. In Buffalo. In January.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
re: the dog situation

I called the shelter today and asked about the dog I brought in. They said that because the dog was a stray they have to wait some number of days in case the owner claims him. After that they put him up for official adoption, posting his mug shot online and a description. They will take advance applications without a deposit. My NC friend will go to the shelter when he gets back Sat., there's a good chance he may want him. I'm rather praying that the owners whoever they are do not make contact. They should be charged criminally for allowing a dog out on a night like that (near 0 degrees) without any kind of ID. I've seen him loose on the street before and my heart went out to him. At least now he's warm and fed and this shelter is committed to adoptions, there is a high adoption rate so he will be placed in hopefully a warm and loving home.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I still couldn't give up my car so then I would also have the parking spot expense. She does have underground heated parking - nice.
When I lived in Mpls from 2008-2009, I rented an apartment with heated underground parking. The problem was that my apartment was on the ground floor, not desirable for me, and the fumes that collected in the garage below did seep through the garage ceiling into the first floor. I could smell fumes when cars would run their engines to warm up in the winter. There was ventilation in the garage, but not enough and exhaust fumes would collect in the garage. I liked the heated garage for my own car, but didn't like the fumes seeping into my apartment.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I know! And I can remember walking to school with my coat open to show off the great new mini dress I got for Christmas. In Buffalo. In January.
Hahaha I went to college in Buffalo, and I remember overnight 36" snowfalls on a regular basis, and walking through waist deep snow on campus walkways. How things have changed. I probably had my jacket unzipped through all of it back in the 1970's as a college student.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Sorel Caribou
Sorel Tivoli Black Turtle NL1631-010 Women's Boot Shoes | Walking On A Cloud

I love my Sorels!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Oh! I have been looking for a source!

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your posting this link . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement