Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times

Advertisements

Loveboating, you can still lose weight even if you can't exercise, using the calorie-counter method I mentioned above. You'll just have to use an Activity Level of "sedentary" (if that's the case) in the calculator and cut your calorie intake more drastically than if were able to burn them off through exercise. I'm not saying you shouldn't exercise, but I am saying it's still all about the total calories.

The reason I'm so adamant about this is, I was the same as you -- I had turned 50, gained 20 lbs. and thought I couldn't lose it. But then my logic kicked in. I calculated how many calories I was eating per day at my "fat" weight. One pound is equal to 3,500 calories. So if I ate 500 fewer calories per day, I should lose one lb. per week. If I burned off an additional 500 calories per day through vigorous exercise, that would be a total of TWO lbs. per week. I decided that I must put this algorithm to the test -- and it works. There is no way it DOESN'T work. It's not easy, it requires discipline and motivation and keeping track of everything you eat, but when you step on that scale and see the first few pounds gone, it gives you the motivation to keep going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 AM

342 posts, read 716,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Why does no one ever mention the sure-fire, GUARANTEED way to lose weight -- burn more calories than you take in! Go to an on-line calorie calculator and figure out how many calories you are eating per day at your current height/weight and current level of activity. Then calculate how many *fewer* calories you should be taking in, or *more" calories you should be burning off, in order to lose a few lbs. per week. This will be a combination of eating lower-calorie foods, portion control, and amping up your exercise. Prepared foods will have the calorie count right on the box, or you can estimate the calories if you're making your own or eating out. Stick to it religiously, and you WILL lose weight. You can still have your pizza or beer, but you have to factor it into your total calorie count for the day. It's the same concept as Weight Watchers but, for me, it's easier and more logical and feels less like a "diet". When you reach your goal weight, you can go back to a "maintenance" level of calories. I've been extremely successful in staying within 10 lbs. of my ideal weight for the past 10 years, using this method. I weigh myself almost every day so I can nip problems in the bud before they get out-of-control. I must say, though, I don't regularly partake in burgers, fries, chips, beers, etc. These are reserved for a rare treat.
This is so totally true. I do something similar - weigh myself everyday with a 3 - 4 lb. margin of error. If I hit my upper level, I immediately cut way back. I find it much easier to lose 2 or 3 lbs. and keep it there than suddenly have 20+ lbs. to lose.

The real trick is the "maintenance" diet - you won't keep the weight off if you go back to your old ways of eating. One thing that really helped me was to eat much slower and really savor my food. I am a chocaholic and that used to be my downfall. If I went too long without, I would end up binging. Now I am capable of having 1 or 2 small squares of chocolate a day - I eat them very slowly and savor every morsel - it's amazing but it's enough to satisfy me if I eat it that way.

You really do get used to eating less and after awhile won't be able to eat the quantities you used to without feeling awful.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:20 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Another article on the internet today talking about obesity in America and what people think of those that are that way. If being overweight or even obese isn't due to medications be taken or possible previous surgies, then, of course, people are going to constantly comment on the food intact and lack of exercise people are getting. Just look at DWTS right now.....some of them are "huffing and puffing" their way thru this show. Lots of people have made comments about Chaz's weight, Nancy's weight and Rikki's weight.
Compared to the past, we are now a Nation full of Fitness Centers and Health Spas and society is still asking "why aren't they using them and/or doing something to lose the weight/be more fit! Do people really like being heavy and unhealthy?"
All of the "fastfood" restaurants are still going strong and tons of people are still going to steak and seafood restaurants! Junkfood, soda's and beer is still going into the mouths of NFL and MLB fans at home and at games!
What do we do????

Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I also want to say something about smoking as well........

It can be extremely difficult talking to a friend or family member about smoking and stopping it when there were people that smoked cigarettes and cigars for years and lived way into their senior years. ....
Another thing to consider about smoking, is that nicotine is psycho-active. So if the smoker is dealing with mental-health issues, even dealing with them well, stopping nicotine *will* upset their mental state! It makes it that much more difficult for them to give up smoking.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:38 PM

4,050 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Jazzcat - do you think some of the toning is from Zumba? I just do it sometimes at home when no one is there (my son laughs at me - in a nice way) but have you seen a change? Also, I love the music!
Bette, I'm really not sure! The toning has definitely increased since I started Zumba, but I'm not sure if it truly is from Zumba or whether any two extra hours of exercise would have had the same results---or whether it's all my efforts over the past two years that are (finally!) achieving some results.

My Zumba instructor swore she went down three sizes after doing a lot of Zumba! I think any time you lose weight and use your muscles, there will be some toning. Zumba is probably best to tone the abdomen, hips, and butt. There are some at the gym who do nothing but dance classes and they have lost/maintained weight but their arms aren't toned since they don't do any real exercise focusing on that. Zumba now has a separate type of workout called Zumba toning where very light weights are held in the hands, so that probably indicates that regular Zumba isn't that great for toning, especially with the upper body.

I'd like to think that the variety of exercises/activities I do have resulted in the toning and Zumba has been a (very!) fun component of that. It definitely sounds like you are burning some calories and having fun---can't ask for much more than that (although do try it as part of a group---I think it adds to the experience and has been so liberating to dance in front of people and not care how goofy I look).

Old 09-30-2011, 02:53 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I'm the opposite of most people. I was fat all my life and I'm not anymore. I do have to watch it constantly and I know the pounds are out there wanting to come back. I believe in painless weight control to the greatest extent possible.

Not everyone can do P90X or Zumba. But you can move more today than you did yesterday. Start where you need to start, just because I can run 5 miles and walk 12 more doesn't mean you can or should. Your fitness level is individual and you are sabotaging your efforts if you try to do more than you realistically should do. Forget the Weekend Warrior mentality. Find something you don't hate that you will do consistently. And increase gradually as you become more fit. Put some weights by your favorite chair and use them while you watch TV.

I have a friend who started to crochet because it kept her from mindless eating while watching TV. That's all she did and she lost weight!

I don't avoid fat at all and I don't have high cholesterol. Mine is actually low. I do avoid sugar/carbs. For me, this is the most painless way to control my weight, high protein, high fat, and low carb. WW and calorie counting is too much work and seems too much like a diet. I don't eat much salt and I have learned to use spices for flavor. I cook most of what I eat. One of the best things about being semi-retired is being able to shop and do most of my cooking.

Substitutions rule. I use Splenda in my coffee. If I wanted to veg out and watch a game, I would serve that low carb beer and a tray of veggies and dip. Go for a walk at Half-Time. Then come back and bake the pizza(on a cracker crust) you made up in advance. You don't have to do without. You just have to change what you do!

I'm never perfect. I can still sit down and eat a bag of candy or a whole package of cookies. Even though I know I shouldn't. But I only do it once in a while, not every day. And it helps a lot when I don't buy or bring that junk into the house in the first place. It's all about balance. It took me a lifetime to figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement