Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times

Advertisements

Possibly you and your doctors have not communicated well re exercise and your joint issues. Many, many people who have undergone hip, knee, shoulder surgery exercise regularly. You can't just get out there and start hiking, jogging, bench-pressing, of course. It does take some planning and thought.

Biscuitpop had rotator cuff surgery this past June. It turned out to be an unusually nasty tear and the surgeon expressed concern that the rehab would be even longer than usual. Three months later, he's back to near normal range-of-motion. He doesn't bench-press or throw around 50 lb bags of quikcrete like he did pre-surgery, but he works out 3x a week with free weights and tension bands, and he lifts everything he needs while doing yard work and house renovation chores. (He's 61 y.o., fwiw).
My 87-year-old MIL had a knee replacement in March and she walks 1/2 mile, 2x a day, most days. My late mom did 20 minutes every day on her treadmill after her hip replacement surgery.
I have a 67-year-old friend with pulmonary hypertension who's dependent upon her electric scooter to get around. Yet she does regular cardio, strength, and flex training routines.

If you don't choose to exercise for whatever reason, that's your thing, no need to explain, no judgement from me. Just own it. Your excuses don't cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 03:37 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Previous surgeries aren't "excuses" for exercising, just plain truth.........depending on the surgery and what the surgeon tells the patient. My shoulder surgeon told me to my face "watch how much weight you lift from now on and no high-impact sports, such as water skiing." My hip surgeon told me "no running, jogging, weight lifting or any high-impact stuff on the hip and watch too much walking" and they both said "or you'll be back in surgery again". There was NO miscommunication there and I try to obey what they told me. I use to lift a case of 24 water bottles at Wal Mart to buy, but later my shoulder would start aching. My wife said "no more" and now she puts the case in the cart and takes it from our vehicle into our apartment.
Fact is, some older folks can plainly lose weight and exercise much easier than others can.
Please, let's not get "snippy" with those that have had surgeries and can't do as much exercise as others can.
Another fact, some folks simply throw "caution" to the wind when it comes to exercise and do what they want, even if a doctor tells them "watch it".

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 09-24-2011 at 04:00 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 07:39 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Please, let's not get "snippy" with those that have had surgeries and can't do as much exercise as others can.
If you can't exercise and you want to lose weight, then you'll simply have to bite the bullet and cut back on the calories. Easier said than done, I know...but there it is, short and simple.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:08 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
At age 50 I was still the "lean, mean, fighting machine" I'd been in my early 20s overseas in the military - weighed the same and still in excellent shape. Thereafter I started putting on the pounds. Marriage likely contributed to that but that's not really a good excuse. I just got lazy.

I absolutely hated my last year of work - might explain why it was my last year - and basically ate and drank my way through it. I ballooned to a good 60 pounds over my best and most comfortable weight. Not good!

In the two years since we moved and purchased our retirement home I have lost all of those 60 pounds and WILL keep them off. We had always eaten a "balanced" diet and still do but since then we've learned to eat an extremely healthy diet yet haven't had to sacrifice taste or variety. Add work around the house, landscaping, vegetable gardening, sustainable exercise in keeping with aging joints and the weight flew away and shows no sign of returning. I assiduously guard against it!

Old 09-24-2011, 10:16 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Never said we don't exercise........just can't exercise like people who haven't had surgeries. We still walk, but not far. We swim in our apt complex pool, when we can and the weather cooperates. We get on treadmills during the winter months when it's just too cool to walk outside. We get exercise using our boat, when we can due to weather/tide conditions. So, we do get some exercise, but perhaps not enough to assist in loosing weight.......but we keep trying! As far as our eating and drinking goes, just can't cut out the burgers, fries, pizza, steak, baked/mashed potato or the few Bud Lights we drink during the week and weekends when it's warm-to-hot like it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
If you can't exercise and you want to lose weight, then you'll simply have to bite the bullet and cut back on the calories. Easier said than done, I know...but there it is, short and simple.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:29 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Menopause can affect metabolism--estrogen levels affect weight. I've know women who lose, maintain weight after starting bio-identical estradiol. Also, if you cut out carbs from your diet--bread, crackers, pasta and desserts, your weight will drop. Then, when you're where you want to be,you can slowly introduce some here and there.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:33 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
As far as our eating and drinking goes, just can't cut out the burgers, fries, pizza, steak, baked/mashed potato or the few Bud Lights we drink during the week and weekends when it's warm-to-hot like it is now.
I had a friend who talked like that. He had a heart attack when he was sixty-five. Afterwards he told his wife he was going to turn his life around. But he was a little late; the next day he had the big one.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I absolutely hated my last year of work - ...- and basically ate and drank my way through it. I ballooned to a good 60 pounds over my best and most comfortable weight. Not good!

In the two years since we moved and purchased our retirement home I have lost all of those 60 pounds and WILL keep them off. We had always eaten a "balanced" diet and still do but since then we've learned to eat an extremely healthy diet yet haven't had to sacrifice taste or variety. ..
CONGRATULATIONS on surviving that last yr AND shedding the lbs. That is being proactive and disciplined. (I could use a lesson in that )

I got back to my High School weight before completing grad school post age fifty. BUT, I can't seem to get to High School W-I-D-T-H. Was I really THAT skinny?

A trip to the mall or McDonalds reveals that HS kids are no longer 'beanpoles'. I would say we (USA) are really gonna get 'Spread-out'. Airlines will need to widen seats in my lifetime, and probably need to remove about 30%. Today's porky kids would not have survived a 'twiggy' generation.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:24 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,010 times
Quote:
......but we keep trying! As far as our eating and drinking goes, just can't cut out the burgers, fries, pizza, steak, baked/mashed potato or the few Bud Lights we drink during the week and weekends when it's warm-to-hot like it is now.
Well then make sure the burgers, fries, pizza, etc. are as healthy as possible. Cut out the extras like bacon on the burger and pepperoni on the pizza. And use portion control. Cut back on the quantity. Potatoes are great, but watch the butter and sour cream.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:21 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
The biggest difficulty is: eating/drinking what we want, getting a little exercise, but still wanting to lose weight.
Quote:
So, we do get some exercise, but perhaps not enough to assist in loosing weight.
Quote:
TRYING to eat right and better weather for boating is all we can hope for and pray for!
Quote:
As far as our eating and drinking goes, just can't cut out the burgers, fries, pizza, steak, baked/mashed potato or the few Bud Lights we drink during the week and weekends when it's warm-to-hot like it is now.
Quote:
I never had a weight problem 'til I hit the 50 mark and then it started going on and hasn't come off for the last 12 yrs.

Dog Chasing Tail hits box - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement