Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 05:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,549,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
She probably is doing you a big favor, this dysfunctional family issues will continue.....forever.

From the beginning I doubted that this entire situation wouldn't have a happy ending...however, divorce? Hmmm, that was a surprise!
Not to me!

Old 01-12-2012, 05:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,561,465 times
I guess the old saying "blood is thicker than water" must be true. I can't imagine what your wife must be thinking after you took her daughter and kids in and provided emotional and financial support. Those are the thanks you get for that?

Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I guess the old saying "blood is thicker than water" must be true. I can't imagine what your wife must be thinking after you took her daughter and kids in and provided emotional and financial support. Those are the thanks you get for that?
And much, much more where her children and grandchildren are concerned to the tune of many thousands of dollars over the past several years.

Oh well! The bank's run dry so I guess I have too.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,329 posts, read 8,670,610 times
Well Buddy, that sucks big time, sounds like you might have been expecting something like this though. Good Luck

Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,037,911 times
Huh I echo what everyone else has said - this is a real shocker. Again, could be your DW just isn't handling this well and reacted in the worst way - this could all settle down. You two did seem so compatible - this isn't making any sense. I wish you the best (I guess when you decided to run away from home you should have kept going).

Time will tell but I hope this turns out well for you.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Well Buddy, that sucks big time, sounds like you might have been expecting something like this though. Good Luck
Yeah, it does, and yes, I have. But I'll survive. My needs are minimal.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:23 PM

379 posts, read 535,700 times
Default Changes

Well Curmudgeon, let me add my two cents here along with everyone else. What a slap in the face!! After all you have done.....gheesh. I was so shocked when I read that and thought you must be joking, but you're not.

I'm with you as far as the counseling goes or trying to make a "go" of things. If she has made her position about wanting to split, how could you ever have a decent relationship again, wondering if it will happen again?

I am so sorry, my friend, but like others have said, better to find out now than down the road. Remember that we are all here for you. Please keep us posted on how things are going for you. The rest of the bunch has made their bed, let them lie in it.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,268,789 times
Smile So disappointed for you....

If DW is on her own, can she survivie? From a female point of view - you say your needs are minimal - how about hers?

When is the last time you did something for her? Overnight trip? Not just making things about every little penny but - well, you may know what I mean.

Was her idea of a quiet, comfortable, serene retirement the same as yours?

Was SD always trying to break you both up? (Childish after a point).

Really sorry to hear this.

PS - If it doesn't work out, you can get a Sheltie again - my two truly are my best buds (other than hubster).

Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 PM

977 posts, read 1,111,637 times
Curm, I've been thinking about you and your family all day since I read your post...threw a few prayers in there, too. From reading your posts in this thread and others, you come across as a steady, intelligent, stable guy with quick wit, good sense of humor, and caring personality. Just so ya know i don't think you need my feeble advice....lol! But something has been worrying me a bit, so just want to add a comment. You mentioned earlier about leaving with very little...I think along the lines of your guns, your files, your artwork? Something like that....and she is welcome to the rest and the attendant worries...hope that's close to what you said---I'm too lazy to look it up. :-)) I know you said your needs are few and that things don't matter....I just don't want you to give up everything when you're entitled to so much more...and while I realize we are very different, I did find it comforting, after going through my divorce and getting resettled, to have some of the "things" around me that spelled "home" of a sort. We have so many losses in divorce....our identity, our home, often our friends and our family, sometimes our self worth....just would like to sound a small note of caution to let the dust settle a bit before walking away from absolutely everything you've worked so hard for. I was not greedy, didn't ask for anything in an unfair manner, so am not coming from that direction, you understand. but don't sell yourself short. You're a savy guy and on top of many issues, so I would imagine all this rambling concern of mine is for naught, but just consider it as coming from a friendly source wishing you the best. Just give yourself some options.....sorry if this sounds presumptuous. Good luck. You DO deserve it, you know.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,003,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
Curm, I've been thinking about you and your family all day since I read your post...threw a few prayers in there, too. From reading your posts in this thread and others, you come across as a steady, intelligent, stable guy with quick wit, good sense of humor, and caring personality. Just so ya know i don't think you need my feeble advice....lol! But something has been worrying me a bit, so just want to add a comment. You mentioned earlier about leaving with very little...I think along the lines of your guns, your files, your artwork? Something like that....and she is welcome to the rest and the attendant worries...hope that's close to what you said---I'm too lazy to look it up. :-)) I know you said your needs are few and that things don't matter....I just don't want you to give up everything when you're entitled to so much more...and while I realize we are very different, I did find it comforting, after going through my divorce and getting resettled, to have some of the "things" around me that spelled "home" of a sort. We have so many losses in divorce....our identity, our home, often our friends and our family, sometimes our self worth....just would like to sound a small note of caution to let the dust settle a bit before walking away from absolutely everything you've worked so hard for. I was not greedy, didn't ask for anything in an unfair manner, so am not coming from that direction, you understand. but don't sell yourself short. You're a savy guy and on top of many issues, so I would imagine all this rambling concern of mine is for naught, but just consider it as coming from a friendly source wishing you the best. Just give yourself some options.....sorry if this sounds presumptuous. Good luck. You DO deserve it, you know.
Tried to rep you, have to wait. I concur and echo everything you said, expressed so nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement