Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times

Advertisements

Back to climate/weather for a minute...(although I recently said it doesn't matter)—

I've always known I don't do too well (circulation and respiratory) in very hot/very humid weather. So my dreams of moving south may not be too likely, even though I'm still drawn to NC/VA/TN.

Here in my part of New England we have been having a rather mild winter this year with no snow at all (after the Halloween surprise storm)--3 months with no snow and not that cold!

Today it is kind of mild, but cool-humid (cool-moist) - the air feels like it does just before it's going to snow, a bit raw, but a bit too warm for snow. It's also overcast. I found that on my walk with the dog I could walk breathing much easier, and walk farther without leg discomfort. I enjoyed the feel of cool/damp air on my face, almost like being at the ocean with fresh cool air on a cloudless day. So I'm reminded that hot-unrelenting sun-dry is not so good for me. Strange, I know. Most retirees want just that. But neither is hot-sun-humid for me.

The cool-fresh-moist air is not a consistent condition here in NE, but I have to say I do very well in it. Now where would this be on a more consistent basis year-round?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
We just returned from visiting 24 communities in eight cities in Northern CA, most of them in the wine country. They are the communities that we selected from a very long list of places that we thought we would like to move to in August. .
Ol Wanderer,
I am curious if you looked at Nevada City or Grass Valley. They are wonderful towns in the foothills of the Sierras with many wineries springing up--great communities with a few quality retirement-type communities. We used to live in that area and really loved it---we were just too afraid of CA's deep problems to retire there.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The cool-fresh-moist air is not a consistent condition here in NE, but I have to say I do very well in it. Now where would this be on a more consistent basis year-round?
Juneau, Alaska

The Japan Current keeps temperatures steady and mild. However, the Juneau area is very isolated. Travel outside of the immediate area is by ship and air. But Juneau has all of the needed urban amenities.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:35 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,375 times
Quote:
Back to climate/weather for a minute...(although I recently said it doesn't matter)—

I've always known I don't do too well (circulation and respiratory) in very hot/very humid weather. So my dreams of moving south may not be too likely, even though I'm still drawn to NC/VA/TN.

Here in my part of New England we have been having a rather mild winter this year with no snow at all (after the Halloween surprise storm)--3 months with no snow and not that cold!

Today it is kind of mild, but cool-humid (cool-moist) - the air feels like it does just before it's going to snow, a bit raw, but a bit too warm for snow. It's also overcast. I found that on my walk with the dog I could walk breathing much easier, and walk farther without leg discomfort. I enjoyed the feel of cool/damp air on my face, almost like being at the ocean with fresh cool air on a cloudless day. So I'm reminded that hot-unrelenting sun-dry is not so good for me. Strange, I know. Most retirees want just that. But neither is hot-sun-humid for me.

ocean locations in the mid-atlantic region? i'm thinking rehoboth and lewes, delaware or some towns in those areas further inland- ocean view, milford, milton? these are all in sussex county delaware where you would still have lower real estate taxes probably than most places in new england and some would be walkable. in the summer you're going to have more heat and humidity but not usually as bad as further south-traffic and congestion however.

one of the problems with n.c. is that it is not especialy tax friendly for retirees. a friend of mine from maryland retired to wilmington,nc primarily because of grandchildren, and complains often about being taxed to death. also, in n.c and tn. i feel there would be a much more conservative element than i'd feel comfortable with. that would be true of va. as well in many places- not so much charlottesville.

what about the mountain areas of va west of charlottesville? harrisonburg, lexington, or staunton? attractive towns but too remote for my tastes. as far as roanoke, i feel it would be too conservative religiously and politically for me.

it's hard to find it all. i tried, at least for a while.

catsy girl

Old 02-02-2012, 05:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Juneau, Alaska

The Japan Current keeps temperatures steady and mild. However, the Juneau area is very isolated. Travel outside of the immediate area is by ship and air. But Juneau has all of the needed urban amenities.
In another lifetime I think Alaska would probably be my natural spot. In this lifetime, I'm dealing with lots of limitations (mostly age-related), so I will have to pass.

Last week I got an email from an old college friend who lives in the Berkshire mountains of WMass. I've been thinking all week about that area--not so far to move, and totally familiar to me--why I never kept it in my head I don't know. It's full of the arts year-round, with summer bursting at the seams with Tanglewood (summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra), Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival, and summer theater and arts festivals galore. It's pricey/upscale in parts, but affordable in others. And the pine tree hills and lakes of the Berkshires offer somewhat cooler summers (though it can still get warm there). The mountains are less dramatic of course than Blue Ridge, but still mountains. They often say that the antidote to what ails you is a plant/herb found in your own backyard. Maybe this is it (?) Off to the Berkshires this weekend.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Ol Wanderer,
I am curious if you looked at Nevada City or Grass Valley. They are wonderful towns in the foothills of the Sierras with many wineries springing up--great communities with a few quality retirement-type communities. We used to live in that area and really loved it---we were just too afraid of CA's deep problems to retire there.
The entire two zip codes of 958 and 959 are too hot in the summer for my preference. Yes, we were originally from Orange County (more than five decades of it) but we mostly lived in the coastal area so the heat never bothered us. The same temperature can be different in the inland and valley though.

The town where we will live in the next few years is at 6772 ft elevation, the lake is within walking distance, and temperature in the summer does not usually go higher than 80° except the one or two days each year when it reaches 90°. I think we will be content with that, at least for a while. The house/cabin has been in husband's family for many decades, so living without housing cost is an offer we cannot refuse. It's more or less of a ski town, not a retirement communities and there isn't any winery nearby, but that's what travelling is for.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 02-02-2012 at 06:19 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 PM

45 posts, read 70,540 times
Didn't you mention that you want a place that has senior transportation available? How would that work in the Berkshires? Aside from that possible problem, the place sounds lovely.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
Quote:

Santa Cruz, CA

Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 PM

93,221 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

Ithaca NY Waterfalls - YouTube

Ithaca Farmers Market - May - YouTube

Joe Romano From the Green Star Co Op in Ithaca Talks About Local Food, Environment and Community - YouTube

Ithaca NY, Lucas Vineyards - YouTube

Visit Ithaca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement