Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:21 PM

643 posts, read 1,487,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Follow your heart, your bucket list....that will get you there. Many of us started very early on this,way before retirement. The need was apparent as there was so much to see and so little time to do it !
True! And all who wander are not necessarily lost~!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,962,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
True! And all who wander are not necessarily lost~!
Except, if you are from Indiana.....O', i have been told they took " wander" from their license tags. Is it not strange so many words have several meanings, English must be a hard language to master.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:16 PM

7 posts, read 14,392 times
Texas is popular because of the lack of income tax, NOT property taxes. If you have any kind of house, you get slammed. The heat will absolutely fry you, even if you are a native. We have already had a string of 100's and broken records. Last year was beyond horrible. I have lived here all my life and I am out of patience with it. A few more of those summers and everyone will be leaving. I hate the cold and the clouds. The west is good but they have no water. It's tough.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:35 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,962,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoaustin View Post
Texas is popular because of the lack of income tax, NOT property taxes. If you have any kind of house, you get slammed. The heat will absolutely fry you, even if you are a native. We have already had a string of 100's and broken records. Last year was beyond horrible. I have lived here all my life and I am out of patience with it. A few more of those summers and everyone will be leaving. I hate the cold and the clouds. The west is good but they have no water. It's tough.
Not really. Those who live in one place most all their life, and never stop bitching about why they live there are secretly enjoying any opportunity to complain. Harry Truman has said it right so long ago. " If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen " !
There are plenty of near perfect places weather wise where extremes both summer and winter at not so dramatic . Most are somewhat hidden to the masses,the hordes that find out and soon its no longer that perfect hide a way you found. I know several, and I have lived in them for long periods of time,so I know what I am talking about. Using City data statistics is a good way to start your confirmation of those places that are on your short list. And, if you don't have one ( list) then you are not looking very hard.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:40 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,769,877 times
All Over the Map with Retirement Location-dscf0598.jpg

I am not sure I know how to attach photos, but hopefully this one shows up. This is one of several pools in Sun City that we enjoy. Our property taxes are very low and our HOA fee is only $15 a year with a $37 a month rec fee. I think this is very resonable for the ammenities we have here. The golf courses are very well maintained and there or 7 rec centers with over 200 club/groups to explore. Anyway, it would be nice to see photos of the places people have chosen to retire.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 AM

All Over the Map with Retirement Location-dscf0604.jpg

This is the gym which overlooks the walking pool area.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:46 AM

All Over the Map with Retirement Location-dscf0602.jpg

Last photo is of the lap pool at the same rec center. We also have a lovely indoor lap pool at another facility.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:31 AM

4,621 posts, read 3,323,831 times
What a wonderful thread! Describes us to a T (I think some previous poster, or posters, said that). I would love to re-activate this thread and find out if any past posters have found their dream place, or learn what they have decided. We have been all over the map in our thinking (and also for real), east coast to west coast, north to south and in between, and are still confused. But we're older so we need to get a move on (literally speaking) and try to get it right this time.

What new information does anyone have?

Old 07-08-2015, 04:54 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,999,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
What a wonderful thread! Describes us to a T (I think some previous poster, or posters, said that). I would love to re-activate this thread and find out if any past posters have found their dream place, or learn what they have decided. We have been all over the map in our thinking (and also for real), east coast to west coast, north to south and in between, and are still confused. But we're older so we need to get a move on (literally speaking) and try to get it right this time.

What new information does anyone have?
I don't have new information other than where we'd move if we were going to move. I started this thread before grandchildren came along, and we felt free to go nearly anywhere that appealed to us. I posted questions in a number of forums, mainly Maine and Virginia. We're still attracted to these places, but changes in family where we are now have made it more appealing to stay here.

It wasn't a comfortable feeling to be all over the map. It felt productive to zero in. If you don't have family as a big factor in location, visit the many City Data state threads. People will respond and you'll get a fuller picture of a place, pros and cons. No place is perfect, but improvements on location are real.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:20 AM

4,621 posts, read 3,323,831 times
Thanks, NewEnglandGirl, we have been doing some research and have the added problem of no particular place to focus on - e.g. grandchildren or other roots.

We do know we don't want a place where we have to get in the car every time we want an onion, want public transport to lovely cultural happenings, and something for us to do in our golden years besides enjoy walkable shopping. Also good medical nearby. Low crime, and while we're at it, just throw in some nice scenery. Still wonder why we're still looking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement