Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:19 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,265,558 times

Advertisements

My SS starts at the end of the month. I can't work anymore this year without being penalized. I needed to retire due to getting decrepit. People are telling me that i should apply for SSDI as well. I plan to move to Central America in October.

Any truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:47 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,352,155 times
It depends what "decrepit" means. If you are unable to do what you normally do for a living, then sure, apply for SSDI.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:05 AM

720 posts, read 767,485 times
I believe that would be determined by your age, and I'm pretty sure you can't have both. If you are on SSDI before retirement age, SSDI "turns into" SS and you only get the one.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
I believe that would be determined by your age, and I'm pretty sure you can't have both. If you are on SSDI before retirement age, SSDI "turns into" SS and you only get the one.
I am age 63. I know what happens when i hit 66.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:37 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,236,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
This ^^^^^, is exactly what happens.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:48 AM

2,710 posts, read 3,395,015 times
Correct me if I'm wrong.....if one is to collect SSDI, it would be the same amount of benefit they would collect at FRA ??....therefore, when you reach FRA, there is no change, or additional benefit

Old 07-09-2015, 01:45 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,556,740 times
It will take OP two years at minimum to be approved for SSDI - and then not without a denial, appeal, and tons of paperwork.

67% of SSDI applications are initially DENIED.

Unless you are in state which loves giving away SSDI - you might be getting your back SSDI payments about the time you reach FRA for SS. Know that first five months from "onset of disability" is not paid at all.

Until you are approved, you can collect SS benefit. SS will make up the difference between the two payments if you are approved.

If you want to go through the all the work have at it - just don't expect an answer anytime soon. We will have a new President before you are approved - if then.

SSDI approval is not a slam dunk.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
It will take OP two years at minimum to be approved for SSDI - and then not without a denial, appeal, and tons of paperwork.

Unless you are in state which loves giving away SSDI - you might be getting your back SSDI payments about the time you reach FRA for SS. Know that first five months from "onset of disability" is not paid at all.

Until you are approved, you can collect SS benefit. SS will make up the difference between the two payments if you are approved.

If you want to go through the all the work have at it - just don't expect an answer anytime soon. We will have a new President before you are approved - if then.

Thanks

Does age make us grouchy old men and crabby old ladies?

Old 07-09-2015, 03:57 PM

7,061 posts, read 6,327,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

That is so true. It took 2 years, 2 - 3 denials before I hired a lawyer. It still took 6 months after that. They do have to make sure there is a real disability. So no, it is not a slam dunk.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:33 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,556,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Does age make us grouchy old men and crabby old ladies?
If you mean does being crabby qualify YOU for SSDI, no, crabbiness is not considered a disability. But, you could try that, too. Ya' never know.

OTOH, if you consider a clear statement of fact crabby - well, then, why are you asking for answers if the truth is uncomfortable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement