Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:52 PM

42,813 posts, read 26,527,829 times

Advertisements

You have a better chance of being approved at 63 than at 33. The older you are the more lenient SSDI is with vocational rules, it's explained here Is Age a Factor in Social Security Disability Claims? | Disability Secrets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 12:05 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,702,217 times
Don't believe people that tell you that it will take a minimum of two years to be approved for SSDI. To be sure, it sometimes takes that long, but many claims are also approved in a matter of months.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:16 AM

25,604 posts, read 56,653,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Don't believe people that tell you that it will take a minimum of two years to be approved for SSDI. To be sure, it sometimes takes that long, but many claims are also approved in a matter of months.
Not sometimes - 67% of the time the application is denied. That means OP has a one in three chance of approval within a reasonable timeframe.

We had a very serious and complicated neurological case cited on the health insurance forum. ONLY because the paperwork was meticulously completed was that approval forthcoming in one year. Initially, that person was also DENIED.

People here have also cited instances where clearly identified and named diseases have resulted in approvals on the firsts go-round. Again, with meticulous preparation of paperwork and medical records by the parties involved. These are the 33% minority who aren't denied right out of the gate.

meo, who posted above, had incredible and crippling injuries as a result of an auto accident (if you read her other posts) - and she had to wait 2.5 years.

OP states he is becoming decrepit. He needs to get good and specific diagnoses of his ailments supported by medical records.

Fortunately, OP has the cushion of a reduced SS income until his SSDI is approved - so if he wants to go through the process, nothing is stopping him.

He should be prepared, however, for a long wait. If he is approved without a denial, he will be among the minority 33% of the lucky ones.

Also, a good disability attorney is strongly recommended - especially if the case is an 'iffy' one.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-10-2015 at 12:26 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 08:47 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,292,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Not sometimes - 67% of the time the application is denied. That means OP has a one in three chance of approval within a reasonable timeframe.

We had a very serious and complicated neurological case cited on the health insurance forum. ONLY because the paperwork was meticulously completed was that approval forthcoming in one year. Initially, that person was also DENIED.

People here have also cited instances where clearly identified and named diseases have resulted in approvals on the firsts go-round. Again, with meticulous preparation of paperwork and medical records by the parties involved. These are the 33% minority who aren't denied right out of the gate.

meo, who posted above, had incredible and crippling injuries as a result of an auto accident (if you read her other posts) - and she had to wait 2.5 years.

OP states he is becoming decrepit. He needs to get good and specific diagnoses of his ailments supported by medical records.

Fortunately, OP has the cushion of a reduced SS income until his SSDI is approved - so if he wants to go through the process, nothing is stopping him.

He should be prepared, however, for a long wait. If he is approved without a denial, he will be among the minority 33% of the lucky ones.

Also, a good disability attorney is strongly recommended - especially if the case is an 'iffy' one.

Saying i am decrepit is true. I am severely handicapped on right arm and left leg due to Polio as an infant. I have had two times i was on disability. due to needing corrective surgery. i am on my 2nd total hip. Have been dealing with Post Polio Syndrome for years but it is getting worse. Cannot stand in place for more than 2-3 minutes.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:38 AM

720 posts, read 769,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Mine was, never denied. However in the state I was in I used a disability advocate who had worked in that field for well over 25 years. Between him and his assistant they knew everyone in the SS offices that the form had to go to.

I'm sure that helped.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:49 AM

11,243 posts, read 9,874,667 times
My mom's SSDI was initially denied (she was basically wheelchair-bound, and suffered from many illnesses including diabetic neuropathy, heart disease, PAD, and kidney disease), but I immediately appealed it and she was approved quickly after that. I think it took 5-6 months total, but that was years ago, so in today's world, it might take much longer.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:42 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,292,376 times
Years ago after an accident with a full leg cast and the Doc saying that don't even think about trying to work for more than a year i was denied. They said i could walk around for 8 hrs a day and carry 80lbs. Appealed that and they came back with a revised stupid excuse again. Went to see Admin Law judge and he found in favor of me. 90 days later and still nothing. Called my Senator and an aide found it still sitting on the Admin law judges secretary's desk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement