Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,982,756 times

Advertisements

Anyone?

Confused or just plain undecided?

Made a decision but it keeps changing weekly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 02:56 PM

570 posts, read 1,341,233 times
That describes me to a T. Fortunately, we are young enough, and my job is portable enough that we can try out a couple of locations before settling on "the one" and fully retiring. My problem is that no place is 100% perfect, but that doesn't stop me from looking for perfection. Sometimes I am afraid I will spend the rest of my life wandering!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,551,467 times
While I've planned for a move in retirement, it's just as likely that we'll stay where we are. A lot will depend on if our kids end up being centrally located versus being spread out all over the country. In any case, we have one who will likely remain here the rest of his life.

As to areas under consideration, we've always assumed we'd be in the PNW area. The actual area in the PNW has varied greatly. Our latest area is the Oregon coast. We're re-thinking that because of taxes, so we've expanded the area to SW Washington too. I think the wetness might become a problem, but my wife wants to be near the ocean and probably won't think about it until after she's settled there.

One thing I've recently thought about, is that this won't be our final home. I'm thinking it might become necessary to move closer to major medical facilities. If that's the case, we'll probably end up in a condo in a big city, something neither of us wants.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
We've been looking at beach communities in several different states, so in that way we're all over the place. On the other hand, the towns we like are really similar. Anastasia Island, FL and Lewes, DE are really similar in a lot of ways, even if they're far apart geographically. The towns we've been looking at also seem to share the same challenges--and each one seems to have a unique problem, as well. We will eventually have to decide which unique problem we are willing to live with.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,854,453 times
Default Confused or just plain undecided?

yup, that's me...I am completely as a standstill as far as deciding anything...not even close. Last year at this time I had a list of maybe top 10 places I would really consider, and now I don't feel right about any of them. I get excited one week because I think I've settled on someplace and then change my mind. The more research I do, the harder it becomes, but I guess that's better than making a huge, costly mistake. It is kind of scary though because I really only have about 1-1/2 years left to come to a decision.

One of the biggest things is that in alot of ways I still see myself as younger and able to handle alot of things that I'm not sure I really could handle anymore. I guess that is why I am waffling much so I need to really do alot of soul searching when contemplating a place to live, to make sure it fits me at this new and unknown stage of my life. And it takes alot of being real honest and realistic with myself.

One of the toughest decisions is whether I could really handle hot, humid summers vs. cold winters. It seems most places in our country boil down to those 2 choices (and sometimes both of them). When I first start this "project" quite a few years ago, I didn't think weather would be as big a factor as it seems to have become...that's something I really need to work out. Especially when living someplace 5-10-15-20 years out.

Thank goodness for CD Forums and all the people here that really help in this journey.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:55 PM

72 posts, read 113,329 times
This fits us to a "T". We go back and forth. We go visit somewhere and decide in a day (or sometimes less) that it looked good on the internet but not for us.

Our latest thing is we had a medical emergency and it really brought home how nice it is to have family near by. We really don't want to stay here but it's "scary" to leave an area where you spent over 50 years and where you have a support network.

Anyone rethinking relocating because of that?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate Orphan View Post
This fits us to a "T". We go back and forth. We go visit somewhere and decide in a day (or sometimes less) that it looked good on the internet but not for us.

Our latest thing is we had a medical emergency and it really brought home how nice it is to have family near by. We really don't want to stay here but it's "scary" to leave an area where you spent over 50 years and where you have a support network.

Anyone rethinking relocating because of that?
Yes, me.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,723,889 times
We're down to two locations, well three if you count, "The Hell with it, we give up, let's stay where we are."

Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,926,648 times
That pretty much describes me the last few years. I've finally pretty much come down to one place, and I don't have to do much research, since we've lived close to that area previously. Face it, its normal. YOu get an Idea location 1 is pretty good. Then you learn something you didn't know, or think of some factor you hadn't considered before, and then it doesn't look so good any more. So you start looking again, or reconsider other places you rejected previously. Good luck. Just don't beat yourself up. You're normal.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,499,225 times
I vote for a wall map, a blindfold and a dart. Those would seem to work as well as worrying the issue to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement