Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,046,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I would appreciate a link. Thanks
Radius map tool

Radius Around a Point on a Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
This is such a great thread! I tried to rep you, but CD wouldn't let me.....
Can you share the three locations you've identified? I love the idea of the radius map. I'll look for it on the web. Funny that you mentioned Oxford, MS. I looked at Oxford, too, but it's hot down there, and Mississippi is a poor state, so I'm not sure how that might impact retirement living in a small, but very charming college town. I expect one would have to drive for most shopping, but I could be wrong. I've never been to MS. Great thread!
I've never been to Mississippi either, but I love the idea of living where the literary greats have graced, imagining myself a southern writer. I'd handle the heat by sitting on the veranda sipping mint julip and chatting with Hemingway. Next lifetime.

In the meantime, here, Berkshires, and central to downeast Maine. Someone put a bug in my ear about Vermont. Maybe the Northeast Kingdom, setting for Edith Wharton's classic novel Ethan Frome.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 PM

37,849 posts, read 41,215,210 times
A big problem is a lot of people know what they don't want more than they know what they do want. They run from the issues of where they live now (examples: too much snow, too much traffic, too much crime, too many rude people, too high taxes) but once they alleviate those issues with a move, in about 6 months in the new place, they wonder what the heck they are doing living where they moved.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:45 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,979,901 times
Default Support networks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate Orphan View Post
We really don't want to stay here but it's "scary" to leave an area where you spent over 50 years and where you have a support network.
Yes, support networks are very important for most people, whether it consists of willing neighbors, long-time friends, family, or a combination. But we are all different - a fact apparent in this interesting thread - and some people are more willing to set off for new vistas than others. Some people make friends more easily than others and hence are more likely to create a new support system in a new place. But your very important point is something everyone should think about in addition to the more obvious ones such as climate and cost of living.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 AM

698 posts, read 1,055,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've never been to Mississippi either, but I love the idea of living where the literary greats have graced, imagining myself a southern writer. I'd handle the heat by sitting on the veranda sipping mint julip and chatting with Hemingway. Next lifetime.

In the meantime, here, Berkshires, and central to downeast Maine. Someone put a bug in my ear about Vermont. Maybe the Northeast Kingdom, setting for Edith Wharton's classic novel Ethan Frome.

i've often been attracted to at least the idea of a move to oxford, ms. for most of the reasons you mentioned. at this point in time, i think it's highly unlikely. and no, i have never visited either.
i do like reviewing some of the places discussed on this forum ( oxford, berkshires, williamsburg etc. ) in the magazine "where to retire". i'm certain most of the posters on this forum are familiar with this publication. i often order back issues covering locations that particularly appeal to me and those i have never visited. there was an article on oxford in some previous issues, as well as williamsburg and the berkshires area. in most of these articles, of course, the picture painted is rosey, but some of the new residents interviewed do discuss some negatives about the locations as well. also i find the information on housing costs and taxes informative.
while i don't feel the information obtained is definitive, i still enjoy reading about locations that intrigue but which i'll probably never visit.
just another window on the world..

catsy girl

Old 03-22-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
A big problem is a lot of people know what they don't want more than they know what they do want. They run from the issues of where they live now (examples: too much snow, too much traffic, too much crime, too many rude people, too high taxes) but once they alleviate those issues with a move, in about 6 months in the new place, they wonder what the heck they are doing living where they moved.
You are right on. We know what we're tired of, or we simply want a change, and at this age don't know what we want unless it's specifically a golfing community, etc. We boomers are used to having so may options that our parents and grandparents didn't have, even while working. So....

Old 03-22-2012, 01:39 PM

18,739 posts, read 33,560,500 times
Although I'm only 59, I think about all these things *a lot*, after all, I'm working the way I do with retirement in mind (semi- would be part-time at age 62). I think about isolation, as I've said, because I tend to feel that way anyway (working third shift doesn't help) and would go anywhere I went alone- good for freedom of choice, tough for no one to do stuff with. I once said to a friend, "When you're well married, you take 90 percent of what you need with you." (emphasis on "well!"). He agreed. When his marriage fell apart in a most ugly way where they'd moved, with a 10-year-old torn up between them, I think he'd agree. Then he'd have to change his view, being single. He made that place his heart home even with the marriage memories all around.
One thing you (or I) can't change is our history. I didn't feel at home in my first 20 years (Philly, suburb south Jersey, a little Pittsburgh) and moved to this area at age 20- left three times, returned three times). Now, I would have left here for good the last time if I hadn't figured out a way to afford to live here. It's when I figured that I would need to save as much for a blind move as I would to buy a tiny condo.
Now when I drive around, I realize how much history I have, just for having been here so long- what buildings used to be and are now different, the different dogs I've lived with, where friends were and where they are now. It is appealing to think of leaving all the history behind, because of course there are painful spots and memories, but I don't know that I want to go somewhere late in life and have a blank slate.
It is wonderful to have such choice, even if constrained by some factors. My grandparents only had one choice to move- get outta Ukraine or be killed! Two generations later, such freedom and choice.
It is March and it's 82 in Boston. I thought if I moved, it would be for somewhere colder and far less humidity in the summer. This winter, it looks tough- have had the heat off for weeks!
(I do hear that my dream spot has vicious allergies months early because of the warm winter- I had planned vacations earlier and earlier to escape the allergens!)
It is fascinating to contemplate different lives/selves in different places. I love being able to hear so many people's thoughts.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,903,523 times
Quote:
Thanks!!

Quote:

Mississippi is, I believe, the poorest state in the Union. Probably not the best place to retire.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Thanks!!

Mississippi is, I believe, the poorest state in the Union. Probably not the best place to retire.
If one is not wealthy, it may be the best kind of place to retire...lower taxes, more services for those taxes, etc.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,201,421 times
New England Girl, have you looked into whether or not your health insurance will transfer to these various places (or what it will cost you to replace it)? Some states that are having economic issues right now may give you a serious challenge in this area. I heard some states have restrictions or waiting periods for coverage if you have any pre-existing conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement