Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 10:56 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
newenglandgirl - great letter to suze.... only we are not all 60+ yet!! please don't age me faster than I am aging on my own...
Ditto on the age. I'm in a 55+ park, and worry that I'll be kicked out for not being there yet!
Suze would probably eat this up though, huh? Great idea!
Great pic's anomoly! Good to know that sometimes things just work out.

Garage sale idea ... in lieu of either hauling everything to the salvation army or marking things for a sale ... I just put it all out and say "make me an offer"... and of course I accept every offer! Everyone thinks they are getting a deal, I feel like I've made something, and my place gets cleared out.
Excellent idea!

Old 03-15-2009, 02:20 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,902 times
Great photos! Looks like you had a wonderful day. Direct link to the album:
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...a-anomoly.html

Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
Great album. Thanks, Anomaly. We all love your reports here, so ever think we don't want to hear what you have say. It's a shame Wisteria is feeling dragged down by her beautiful place. Boy those pics brought back memories. It's been a long time since I've been to that part of the country.

Yes, Wisteria is a beautiful flower. It makes a strong vine capable of pulling down an insufficiently strong structure. One of the most beautiful sights I ever saw was an old wisteria vine climbing up a a tall dead tree. When in bloom, it was covered with the dripping flower clusters all the way up. Breathtaking.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:04 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,509 times
Default bla bla bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Great photos! Looks like you had a wonderful day. Direct link to the album:
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...a-anomoly.html
Thanks for the direct link, since this my first try at albums. There's also the 'album' button under each screen name and post, which is how I linked to it.
Yes, we had a wonderful day, and like I say, everything in my life feels in synch. Wisteria was everything I hoped she would be, and so is my trailer. Yuma is far more than I expected. I really like it here--alot of that is because of last year in TrC, NM, which was such a 'dead zone'. Yuma has really grown from the dusty one horse trailer trash town I remember as a kid. Definitely snowbirds, mostly Canadians, bump the County population up to over 300,000! Yuma's pretty much the only sizable area for 100 miles or so. Yuma is on the Colorado River, which borders Arizona and California. I'm 175 miles west of San Diego, and 175 miles east of Phoenix. And it's an RVers paradise, meaning parts, accessories, service, resources, experience-not like traveling in my Winnebago, where 'reinvent the wheel' was the norm.
Interestly, I was telling Wisteria that I was browsing 'long-term RV space rent' in Las Cruces, considering how cheap 'annual' rates are here in Yuma. What a rude awakening! I've always questioned why Las Cruces has so few parks, and such high rates. I found that even with an annual rate there, it's twice the price of Yuma, and they don't even have pools there! So, I'm not sure about Las Cruces when my space rent runs out here in October (it was pre-paid when I bought the trailer!). I may consider staying in Yuma next year too....
Does everyone realize that Yuma gets up to 115 degrees in summer? I will be taking off in my Winnebago (in storage in NM) when it gets too hot (but I'm a desert rat who likes it up to about 100). So, I truly have the best of both worlds and feel extremely fortunate and grateful.
*Even though I bought a 'travel trailer', I won't be 'traveling' with it--at 36ft, with a slide out, it's a fairly permanent set-up--also I'd have to find someone with a truck to move it. The winnebago is my motorhome for summer traveling. I get to leave all my permanent stuff at 'home'!

Last edited by anomoly; 03-15-2009 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: motorhome vs. trailer

Old 03-15-2009, 01:55 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I'm a little confused- west of San Diego and east of Phoenix?
Wherever it is, it sounds wonderful.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:10 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,016,545 times
Common - you're a bright...doglover - just reverse it.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:52 PM

205 posts, read 397,135 times
NewEnglandGirl;

What a great letter to Suze! Am very interested in knowing what her response is. Perhaps you'd also like to contact Good Morning America (Diane Sawyer). It would make a great segment on their daily a.m. show and certainly get attention. For all who have found this post, think of how many who haven't.

Wisteria & Anomoly - what great photos. So nice to put actual faces with all your great missives. Anomoly you are a true free spirit. I envy you; I'm adventurous but you are bodacious!! A good southernism. Wisteria, your home is lovely, serene, and perfect. I can see why you are so reluctant to leave.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,507 times
Hi Folks,

Glad to see Anomoly back again! Welcome back! Yuma -- well, that is the place for a desert rat! But from talking to her on the phone, it does sound nice. I think she's got a relaxing, nice set-up. She's also getting into her creative side, too! But...she wasn't supposed to post photos of ME!!! Oh, well, cat's out of the bag, I guess.

I just got home late from my all-day art workshop! I will check in tomorrow to read more posts. Can't believe I got so tired from just a workshop! But I finally did something for me! It was the painted canvas floor mat workshop. I learned a lot, although we didn't polyurethane it, and I have to go and do that on my own, but I did produce a drawing, and then paint it and learned how this technique works. The background is actually a pale green (although it seems to look white here), and the outside portion is just acrylic paint with some kind of "glossy" stuff mixed into it and then sponged onto the canvas and "patted and squinched" with plastic to give it a texture -- I like the color, though, because I'm going to use it in my living room and it matches the bricks around the wood stove.

It's pretty interesting. Once it's got a laminate on it, it's supposed to really "pop," but considering I had never done this before (nor do I paint -- I actually mainly draw and use pen and ink), I felt pretty good about it. I made the drawing on Saturday night, and then when I brought it in today, there's a process using graphite paper that allows one to draw over your own drawing and the graphite paper underneath then transfers the image to the canvas. THEN you have to start this process of treating the paper, and finally painting (we used acrylics). It took a LONG time. Fortunately, the teacher let us stay later (but we did help her clean up). So, here is my project of the day! [My camera broke with this one shot!! I need either/both new batteries, and a new memory card....but at least you can get an idea of it...] Talk to you all later!!

Last edited by Wisteria; 03-15-2009 at 10:19 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 12:17 AM

384 posts, read 989,987 times
Wisteria ... I can't even imagine being able to produce something like this! How fun for you to spend the weekend engaged in art. The pictures of your place are "dream like" to me ... I realize that is not so for you right now, however.

I agree with karcon... this group would make a great story - I'm sure we are a microcosim of of a much larger universe. Perhaps we'll end up with a "habitat for women alone" movement.... of course allowing for the occasional male to join us.

anomoly - good to know the difference in rates between Yuma & Las Cruces. Surprising, indeed.

I spent the weekend in a fabulous yoga workshoop. Ah... or perhaps I should say Ommm. It reminds me that, yes .. I truly do want to do something else with my life rather than office work.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,016,545 times
Gorgeous canvas!! The butterfly is done so well - what a very gifted artist you are!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement