Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 08:58 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've actually conducted some retreats and have found convents/monasteries a remarkably inexpensive setting, often including meals and modest single rooms (rather than shared). If we could find something like that....

As far as place for a retreat, I think I'd vote for Knoxville, as Knox is there and seems very knowledgeable, and also others have expressed interest in this area. Any convents/monasteries/low-cost retreat centers around there?
I'm looking. It seems like there should be. We've got some great state parks with lodges and cabins at decent fees. They're really nice, not the primitive sort although those are around, too.TN State Parks: Cumberland Mountain State Park
The big cabin there rents for $60 to $75 a night and sleeps 16. The Class A-AAA cabins go for $60 to $100 a night (that's per night, NOT per person, so it's about $10 or less a person).
There is a restaurant there. It's near Knoxville as well as Crossville, which has a couple of huge retirement communities, including Fairfield Glade.
There's all kinds of places in the Smokies, including one you've got to hike into with llamas to carry the luggage.
I'll keep thinking. It seems like I've heard of a place or two not to long ago. Just got to remember the details.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:23 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
1. Dates: What's the earliest you could realistically attend a gathering?
I can't go anywhere until 1/2010 after I retire. Then, it is as I choose. So, not this year.
2. Location: How far could, and would, you realistically travel, by car, plane, bus, etc.?
I'd go to the west coast as that is where I'd like to end up, I think. Train or car is my preferred mode - I have had it with the airlines.
3. Preferred Location: Where would you most like to meet for a retreat? (State, region, city, climate, etc.)
I know I'm in the minority, but I have my eye on OR. But I'd be willing to see other places and meet up with you all because I think in any case it would be fun and interesting.
4. Retreat facilities: Does anyone have a space that could be used for a retreat, or accommodate visitors?
Yes, but the location is not where anyone (including me) wants to be.
5. Lodging: What accommodations would you consider? For example, Las Vegas has lots of cheap rooms and flights right now. Would that be an affordable or practical alternative to someone 'hosting' the retreat?
Not very expensive. I think a cheap but clean hotel would work fine. We can go to a restaurant/coffee house to discuss stuff or use the breakfast room that is often available in modest hotels these days. Or even somebody's room. LV is about on the very bottom of my places to go, tho.

I think having it in some location that is a potential landing spot is a good idea. Better than in some random area.

Anomoly, you are an amazing organizer
Shoot, Tesaje! 2010 is a whole 'nother year away! But thanks for the 'organizer' compliment, cuz I'm thinkin': OK, so she won't be able to attend this one, but if we can still get a few for this year's 1st gathering, then NEXT year will be even easier to organize.
But, u no like LV?? cheap, lots to do, sunshine and pools! What's not to love? Then again, I'm a desert rat, huh? Beats cold weather!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:54 PM

Default Retreat, Summer, 2009!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
gg
Alright! First taker! Great thoughts and responses!
Ok, since I'm now pretty comfy with my setup here in Yuma, and my motorhome for summer escapes, I think I overlooked the part about 'meeting where we might like to move'. I guess I also thought that kind of location would just be too complicated, since everyone here seems to be so unsure.
Ok, so everyone seems down on Las Vegas. I was thinking of it as practical and affordable, but no one wants to go somewhere they don't like. So, point taken, so far.
I'm going to throw out a previous suggestion of mine--the place I would least consider to live-now! Ready?
Truth or Consequences, NM!! Dirt cheap, hot springs, cheap, layed back accomodations, and most likely to accept pets. A great place for a retreat, and a great way to explore NM. Now, I have to chime in with others who say New Mexico is not really a hot state!
Yeah, southern NM gets up to 100 or so, but not in the rest of the state. Dancingearth can vouch for Northern New Mexico as cold! Here's a tidbit: the lowest elevation in the state is around Carlsbad at 3500 ft! Las Cruces is 4000, and TrC is 4500. By the time you get to Albuquerque in the middle of the state, you're a mile high! 5200 ft!!
TrC can get to 100 in the summer, but not every day, in fact not till July or August, but also the nights are beautiful! , and TrC is just a great central point for exploring the rest of the state. TrC is 80 miles south of Socorro, 150 miles south of Albuquerque, 100 miles east of Silver City (beautiful small mountain community open to green, co-op ideas) and 70 miles north of Las Cruces. Santa Fe (7000 ft) is less than an hour north of Albuquerque, but of course, Santa Fe's more expensive.
Not far from TrC: Elephant Butte Lake (5 miles), there are wildlife preserves, lots of mining towns, great drives, etc.
What's not to love? And I'm familiar with the accomodations, so rates and reservations would be a breeze!
What are your thoughts on that as a destination?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Berea, KY, might be a good place for a retreat. It's in Southeast KY, just off I-75.
It's the home of Berea College and the folk art and craft capital of Kentucky.
It's a neat little town. The College was founded to give young adults in Appalachia a college education. No tuition is charged but they are expected to work at various jobs and crafts. It teaches traditional crafts and keeps those alive and a lot of craftspeople came to teach and now live there. I seriously considered moving there for a while.
Berea
The college has created an ecovillage for some of the students. It's an interesting plan.
Berea College - SENS - Ecovillage
The college runs Boone Tavern that's just been restored.
Boone Tavern Hotel & Restaurant
OK... Berea, KY.... well I know NOTHING about that part of the country, but I'm collecting all thoughts, and me personally, I'm open to anything.
ps Where's Kentucky?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've actually conducted some retreats and have found convents/monasteries a remarkably inexpensive setting, often including meals and modest single rooms (rather than shared). If we could find something like that....

As far as place for a retreat, I think I'd vote for Knoxville, as Knox is there and seems very knowledgeable, and also others have expressed interest in this area. Any convents/monasteries/low-cost retreat centers around there?
OK.. Knoxville, huh? Forgive me if I'm having trouble keepin up with y'all here, boy, this thread sews fast, eh?
So, Knoxville, is that Kentucky, Indiana..? We'll see what majority of suggestions are. Gotta admit, I'm lost east of New Mexico..sorry.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:16 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
sigh.
Definitely east of the New Mexico.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Nancy, You really have to stop being so hard to get along with - you know I'm kidding.

I was having a really crap day until I read Anomoly's post on this get together and then - whalla - it all got better!! I think I need to get away from this house. When are we doing this? Next week?

If you all decide on a town/city/state - I'll be glad to research motels based on needs/discounts (AAA, AARP, whatever...). Will everyone want a separate room or will two people share a room with 2 separate beds? We're all trying to save $$ so I'b be Ok with sharing a room (my dogs will sleep with me!!)

I REALLY need to get out of dodge. I just agreed to go with an old co-worker to open her cabin and get it ready for SUMMER!!!! Nice break. You have no idea all the people that choose to retire in northern MN - whatever the weather is in Mpls - it's ten times worse there.
I'll most likely travel in my motorhome, which also takes care of my 'kittie accomodations'. BUT, IF, I was to stay in a motel for a meetup, I would LOVE sharing a room. I mean, that's totally different than LIVING with someone!
Others should voice their opinion on this.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:21 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Anomoly,

That is a really nice post. It says much about NM. What I have seen of NM, I would think about moving there but I have a home here in Colorado, for present. But if I ever move again, it would be in a desert, for sure. I like the high deserts vs. the low deserts because of the evening cooling. So, the towns are more to my liking in NM, then the lower deserts of Arizona. Though there is a great appeal to those very hot deserts in the Southwest, having been to Phoenix, Tucson and having some time for military training in San Angelo in West Texas. I know that the low hot deserts would be the most ideal for my severe arthritis. Yes, I think I could also consider becoming a "desert rat".

Since, I am not a women, and I am not going to move--I am not part of this conspiratorial collusion of cooperative cohabitation. I am just an observer and I have given my advice for Colorado and I do think there is much to offer in the southwest. I have heard much good about Knoxville, never been there--that is worthy of consideration.

Livecontent

Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Anomoly - et's have a remedial class is US geography Just kidding - I have my big map here -
Knoxville is Tennessee; Kentucky is above TN - sort of slightly NE of TN

OK CLASS!!!!! Test tomorrow.........

Old 03-19-2009, 11:34 PM

Default Test??

Quote:
Anomoly - et's have a remedial class is US geography Just kidding - I have my big map here -
Knoxville is Tennessee; Kentucky is above TN - sort of slightly NE of TN

OK CLASS!!!!! Test tomorrow.........
Oh for God's sake, am I just totally clueless?? But you cheat, looking at a map!
How'd I do on the NM directions? I was worried about getting that 'south of, east of, thing mixed up again...( I said Yuma was west of San Diego and east of Phoenix, oops!)
OK, but hey, what Mexican State is south of Arizona, or which one borders New Mexico? cmon, cmon, cmon, think, you gringos!

and.... so Tennessee, that's a long ways from here, I think. Don't worry, If that's where we're going, I can read a map too!

uh oh, I think my 'bunny hunter' just caught something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.