Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 01:52 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times

Advertisements

Giving my shout out/update

Moved into my place a few weeks ago;I feel I'm living my dream. This past weekend I spent time at the beach and swam in ocean (ok waddled around in the water). Amazing how hot it was this time of the year. So much has taken place over the past month or so, but I have to say, I hope I never wake up from this dream. I truly feel like I've found my paradise in this part of Sarasota.

Neighbors smile and say hello, I've made a few friends, been pet sitting for a few people here and there, will show a pic or two sometime later when I upload pics of the pups. I'm located near everything I could possibly hope to get to most, in walking distance, a bus depot two blocks away as well. At the moment things are just too great, it's scary.

There's so many wonderful things that have taken place since this move, I just can't begin to put it all down on paper right now. There are some things that could make it perfect, like if my sisters were here to share this time and space with me, also to have those ladies from cd that I've come to enjoy chatting up come for a visit someday.

I've missed the boards, will try to get back here more now that my pc is up and running.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Giving my shout out/update

Moved into my place a few weeks ago;I feel I'm living my dream. This past weekend I spent time at the beach and swam in ocean (ok waddled around in the water). Amazing how hot it was this time of the year. So much has taken place over the past month or so, but I have to say, I hope I never wake up from this dream. I truly feel like I've found my paradise in this part of Sarasota.

Neighbors smile and say hello, I've made a few friends, been pet sitting for a few people here and there, will show a pic or two sometime later when I upload pics of the pups. I'm located near everything I could possibly hope to get to most, in walking distance, a bus depot two blocks away as well. At the moment things are just too great, it's scary.

There's so many wonderful things that have taken place since this move, I just can't begin to put it all down on paper right now. There are some things that could make it perfect, like if my sisters were here to share this time and space with me, also to have those ladies from cd that I've come to enjoy chatting up come for a visit someday.

I've missed the boards, will try to get back here more now that my pc is up and running.
Welcome to Florida! The Sarasota area is lovely. I live on the east coast, in Homestead. So glad you love it there!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Welcome to Florida! The Sarasota area is lovely. I live on the east coast, in Homestead. So glad you love it there!
Thank you for the welcome. This is my third time moving to Fl and I do believe/hope, Sarasota is my final destination. The Gulf Gate area is to die for, this is where I want my ashes scattered for sure. I'm beyond thrilled.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:12 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Hey TRosa, thanks for the update! My Mom lives in Bradenton and I just love that Gulf area...Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key, Sarasota...really beautiful. If I'm ever back down there (doubtful this winter), I'll let you know! Glad you're finally in your happy place. And now, you just need to change your "location"...LOL!

Old 10-29-2010, 04:00 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,831 times
Wow! It has taken about 2 hrs of steady reading to get to this point.....and I started in the 300's! I couldn't remember where I had stopped before, so did a lot of back-tracking. That's good, since I have trouble remembering much of anything these days......... Let's see, is it Avalon who bought the 6o's ranch? I'm so glad you found a place for you and your dogs! And I, too, have been kinda surprised by NancyTR considering another move. Or am I reading a meaning into a casual question/observation, that wasn't intended? You're in Santa Cruz, right, by Wisteria? NEG, are you back "home" taking care of a parent/parents? Trying to remember stuff. TRosa---are you now settled in Florida?

Well, hello to everyone. A brief update: I'm still struggling a lot since moving. There's been so much stress in my life, much of it coming from learning all the "new" stuff I've needed to, such as locating a Dr., getting insurance, finding a bank, dealing with finances and a totally different system of utilities, finding my way around, trying to make friends, etc. Of course, I knew I'd have all this to do, but it's twice as hard and taking twice as long as I expected it to.

I have made a few friends finally, thank goodness! And I just adopted an adorable little dog from a rescue group here in the valley. I feel so lucky to have found him! It's been 2 weeks now, but feels like he's been with me forever. The time zone differences have complicated keeping in touch with friends and family back "home", though my weird hours (I'm a night owl) has more to do with that problem.

I have been back to the midwest once since moving here (Az.) and once to see my son/family in Co. I have to say the difference in climate is incredible in the way that it affects me. I have far less pain/brain fog/fatigue out here----except during monsoon season.

I'm glad I moved. But it sure has been exhausting! I am 59----don't think I could have done it if I'd waited much longer. I'm sure it will take a full year to get settled, tho', and rested. But my son told me he honestly thought the best was yet to come in my life. Wonderful words to hear....now if I can just believe them!

Best wishes,
ArtAngel

Old 10-29-2010, 05:46 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hey TRosa, thanks for the update! My Mom lives in Bradenton and I just love that Gulf area...Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key, Sarasota...really beautiful. If I'm ever back down there (doubtful this winter), I'll let you know! Glad you're finally in your happy place. And now, you just need to change your "location"...LOL!
how funny! i caught that as well and meant to say something. ah, a dream fulfilled - TRosa has made the jump and successfully landed on the other side.

for myself, sweet sisters, i'm presently dealing with the "collection of bones" in the closet, a task apparently needed before i can continue my journey. hard but necessary. if i can survive the next few days of perpetuating family "myth-conceptions", i'll be ok.

while i've not posted a lot about the past several months and caring for my parents, it is with a sense of sadness and relief that i can share this: my dad escaped the confines of cancer on wednesday evening. - death has its beauty - its incredibly spiritual side - i felt like i was watching a beautiful little bird escaping its cage. (no emoticon to quite capture this so imagine ..............)

now the difficulty will be working with my mom for the "what next?" i feel like i'm jockying between two worlds - the good girl in me that knows I have to stay the course here to whatever conclusion and the individual in me who says "isn't it finally MY turn to decide?" i've subtly mentioned that coming home has had its therapeutic side - not all peaches and creame for sure and the lack of stable ground has been hard. i've been the rock, just when i was taking on the attributes of being a feather.....and i've had to be the little sister to my big sister but again.....which means i do a lot of the work and she takes the bows (thank you - thank you very much):tape : - i say all of this with tongue in cheek but whoever posted that family is a DNA blinddate hit the nail on the head......calgonite, take me away - who ARE these people??????????????????????????

(on to figure out who can and cannot come to the funeral, who can and cannot speak and of course, find out if hospice left any of the drugs so i can just join my dad and be done with it......sorry, a bit of gallows humor - seriously, i'm ok - we're all ok - you guys get to be my sounding board so i don't off anyone here)

presented with humor for all concerned so you don't feel like you have to get sad faces at my loss - death IS a part of the cycle and it's ok-we'll all headed there in time.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I look forward to when and if you make it out this way in the future and with these pups fighting for my attention, I keep getting distracted everytime I think about updating my location. I'll give it one more try.

On the subject of the pups, A couple did a short sale on their home had to move asap and didn't have a place for their pups while lookig for a new place. I'm babysitting their miniature pinschers and I'm alsositting a terrier-mix, for a friend that's on a cruise. Never again, I'm not kidding; I'm going to need a vacation. I just felt so sorry for the couple, and the couple's mom has done so much for me, I wanted to help in anyway I could, but, it's really beyond my capabilities. From now on no puppies great in theary, not practical for someone with my health issues. I am thankful for the learning experience. First couple of nights I slept with all the dogs under my blankets, it was so fun, but because they like to go in the grassy areas, and come in carry whatever, I got bit up like you wouldn't believe, so had to nix that. Plus too much ankle, foot, face licking. I don't care to be such a wet mess in the morning. But it was kind of sweet having them all cuddled up with me at night. I will miss them, but I need my sanity back. Well the bits and pieces of my sanity that still exist.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:52 AM

62 posts, read 97,676 times
Default Deepest Sympathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
how funny! i caught that as well and meant to say something. ah, a dream fulfilled - TRosa has made the jump and successfully landed on the other side.

for myself, sweet sisters, i'm presently dealing with the "collection of bones" in the closet, a task apparently needed before i can continue my journey. hard but necessary. if i can survive the next few days of perpetuating family "myth-conceptions", i'll be ok.

while i've not posted a lot about the past several months and caring for my parents, it is with a sense of sadness and relief that i can share this: my dad escaped the confines of cancer on wednesday evening. - death has its beauty - its incredibly spiritual side - i felt like i was watching a beautiful little bird escaping its cage. (no emoticon to quite capture this so imagine ..............)

now the difficulty will be working with my mom for the "what next?" i feel like i'm jockying between two worlds - the good girl in me that knows I have to stay the course here to whatever conclusion and the individual in me who says "isn't it finally MY turn to decide?" i've subtly mentioned that coming home has had its therapeutic side - not all peaches and creame for sure and the lack of stable ground has been hard. i've been the rock, just when i was taking on the attributes of being a feather.....and i've had to be the little sister to my big sister but again.....which means i do a lot of the work and she takes the bows (thank you - thank you very much):tape : - i say all of this with tongue in cheek but whoever posted that family is a DNA blinddate hit the nail on the head......calgonite, take me away - who ARE these people??????????????????????????

(on to figure out who can and cannot come to the funeral, who can and cannot speak and of course, find out if hospice left any of the drugs so i can just join my dad and be done with it......sorry, a bit of gallows humor - seriously, i'm ok - we're all ok - you guys get to be my sounding board so i don't off anyone here)

presented with humor for all concerned so you don't feel like you have to get sad faces at my loss - death IS a part of the cycle and it's ok-we'll all headed there in time.
So sorry to hear of the loss of your father.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:47 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Default Mzfroggez

Sorry to hear of your father's death. No matter what, that's a hard thing to deal with. Sounds like you are handling everything - do you have siblings? There are always things we have to do, and want to do, but also remember this is your life too.

Happy times are ahead, just look at TRosa! Love to hear success stories and happy endings. We all deserve it - sometimes we have to get out of our own way to make that happen.

Here's to the best to all our ladies (and gents)

Now, off to get the last (better be the last) of the leaves for this year - hopefully for ever

I just put my little Miata to bed for the winter () - so cute. Took it out for a final run this a.m. We had a hard frost last night so all my flowers are gonners.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Default Pics of the pups

We have Finchy, the Terrier-Yorkshire
Coco and Jake the minature Pinschers

Thank you all for the well wishes and I hope we all find our joyous places; be it wherever we stay, or go.

================================================== =======================================

MzFroggez,

Sister-friend, you know you are in my thoughts. As always love your tude. We alway have to be able to ride that wave when it comes at us and they do come ever so often. Losing a loved can be an exceptionally touch challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-puppies-003.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-puppies-004.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-puppies-006.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-puppies-007.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-puppies-005.jpg  

Last edited by TRosa; 10-29-2010 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement