Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I decided to sell the house myself not to avoid realtor fees so much (they generally work hard for their 5 or 6% commission), but to stay in control of the process. Nobody knows your home like you do, and I wanted to get the name and contact info of everyone who came through for a viewing. I wanted to market it myself. My son made a great blog for the property with a gallery of photos and all the basic info. I took a LOT of time photographing each room just so, took maybe 10 shots for each room and then selected the best (always put all the lights on when you take photos) and then cropped each one for the website. I also created a one page flyer in B&W (color not necessary, too expensive) and put them in a box attached to a professonally made sign (don't use the crappy FSBO signs they sell at hardware stores, get one professionally made- cost me $70). I then emailed every single individual realtor agent within 30 miles (I took the time to compile several hundred) and emailed them the announcement with the blog link, inviting them to bring their clients and offering 2% commission. I got so many showings I was overwhelmed. The realtors were incredibly polite and helpful and respectful. I have no complaints, other than about one, who really put me down for selling on my own. Around here, it's a great resale area, and I was super lucky that there were not many homes in my price range on the market in mid March--end of April (very little competition). That is the best time to list--mid March to first of May. After that, in the summer things go a bit dead, and in the fall people want a real bargain. I did sell for less than I wanted but it was a cash buyer and I was thrilled to be able to sell fast and not have to go through the hot summer. I also have a great RE lawyer, someone who knows FSBO and is savvy. I couldn't have done it wihtout him.

PS: I didn't have to have an open house, which I dreaded, as I cannot stand up too long. Open houses are mixed bag--some say they work well, others feel they are more for the realtor who will make lots of contacts for herself. It would have been stressful for me, being a perfectionist!

http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/3.gif (broken link)http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/3.gif (broken link)http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/3.gif (broken link)Bravo!!!! How would you like to sell my house Good job and so quick!http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/3.gif (broken link)

Old 05-15-2011, 04:29 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,439 times
Good job, NEGirl! Well done!

I saw a study by the National Association of Realtors that said less than 1% of open houses result in sales of the open house. My agent agreed that they're mainly for agents to meet prospects, so we didn't do one here. I didn't want lots of lookie-loos tramping through.

The movers are coming between 8 and 9am tomorrow! I have packed everything except things I'll use tonight. After the truck leaves I'll clean, scrub, and vacuum the place, all three floors of it, then go to a hotel for the night, and fly out early the next morning.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I'm not NEG but someone I know sold her house and paid a realtor about $1000 to handle the paperwork. I plan to do the same. She had, and I have, special non-toxic formaldehyde free houses and can market them better than local realtors. You have to handle all the advertising and showings yourself.
Better to pay an attorney that amount to handle everything. I had no legal worries because of this.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,078,124 times
Thanks NEG for your reply. I didn't realize that realtors would respond to emails offering 2%. I thought realtors had to pay a percentage to the office they work for. At 2% I figured after they did that there would be so little left for them they would try to discourage their clients from looking at the house. Guess I was wrong!

When I sold my mother's house (through a realtor) I didn't want any open houses and it wasn't a problem. I also did not let them take pictures of the inside of the house and put it on the internet. That is the popular thing to do and it seemed to work well for you. I just felt very uncomfortable for security reasons. There was no one living in the house and I thought pictures of rooms in the house could give some thieves the perfect oppontunity to see the layout of the house. I'm probably just being paranoid.

If I ever get around to selling my house I may try to do it myself. Thanks for the information.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
I worked and lived in SF for several decades. I walked or took Muni everywhere and not once did I have an incident where I was harmed or robbed. Of course I paid a high rent to live in a safe, convenient area (on the edge of North Beach) and I used common sense.

I agree with livecontent that driving is more dangerous. I am still troubled by a whiplash injury from a car accident that happened in 1984.
Riverbird...

The S.F.P.D. are required to ride the buses on the worst lines. Although I live in San Jose, we hear reports on the news about riders being beaten, robbed or some even shot on the buses. We like to take the #9 tain from the Cal Trains to GG and haven't had a problem but there have been some sketchy people to share the ride with. I'm not sure I would care to do that when I'm another 10 years older. For now, it is great fun.

We were on the Cal Train going home during the San Carlos explostion and it is amazing how fast they stopped the train and security walked the cars before they figured out what happened.

Hope your move goes well.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:03 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
Thanks NEG for your reply. I didn't realize that realtors would respond to emails offering 2%. I thought realtors had to pay a percentage to the office they work for. At 2% I figured after they did that there would be so little left for them they would try to discourage their clients from looking at the house. Guess I was wrong!

When I sold my mother's house (through a realtor) I didn't want any open houses and it wasn't a problem. I also did not let them take pictures of the inside of the house and put it on the internet. That is the popular thing to do and it seemed to work well for you. I just felt very uncomfortable for security reasons. There was no one living in the house and I thought pictures of rooms in the house could give some thieves the perfect oppontunity to see the layout of the house. I'm probably just being paranoid.

If I ever get around to selling my house I may try to do it myself. Thanks for the information.

I also sold my house in Phoenix without a realtor as we just didn't need the extra middle man expense. It can be done and really was better for us as we had more control over the entire process. I did have realtors trying to tell me that I could get more money if I listed with them but they had no real buyers so there was no point to pay them and keep the property tied up.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post

Pictures of individual rooms do not show the layout of a house. Anyway, if someone wants in, they will get in. A vacant house is more at risk than one that is still lived in. Rig a recording of a vicious dog to your front door, or place a sign on the front door that says the house is wired for max security to the police station. Have a timed lighting for evenings. Don't close all the curtains and blinds and cancel newspapers and mail, thats a sure sign of vacancy. Trim the yard. Get a klunker car, even one that doesn't work, park it in the driveway. Maybe leave an old bike and shoes outside the front door, and a radio on, etc.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I decided to sell the house myself ...I was thrilled to be able to sell fast and not have to go through the hot summer. I also have a great RE lawyer, someone who knows FSBO and is savvy. I couldn't have done it without him....
Thx and Congrats NE Girl; that is very commendable and we appreciate your newsy "How-to'. I have sold all but one of my 20+ props on my own (the exception was in a remote location).

I feel you brought up some great points and had a good strategy. I am currently helping several seniors transition homes and I will be happy to use your advice! I usually focus on rural based retirees so end up with crazy and difficult places to sell, often very beautiful but very challenging to market. Hard to find locations (farms, ranches, airstrips, river, and mtn props ....)

Transactions vary by state, but I rarely use my RE Attorney (usually only for multiple parcels with nasty neighbors or inept seller or realtor that represents seller.)

I do keep on very good terms with the local Title Company. (who does most the work in my state).

I trust your moves and new locations will be enlightening and refreshing to all.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:03 PM

The main thing when selling is, whether you are using a realtor or not, to be your own best marketer (same applies to when you get a book published--you have to keep marketing yourself b/c the publisher will only do it for so long!).

The hard part of selling today is getting less than what you want or think your house deserves. If we can let go of expectations we can probably sell fairly easily. I have a BIL who keeps insisting he won't "give his house away." Well, he will probably be there for a long, long time to come.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:05 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
I'm still searching for a new retirement destination. I surely don't want to go where the disasters occur especially since I live in the #1 high-risk area.

Where to Live to Avoid a Natural Disaster - Map - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement