Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 07:38 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times

Advertisements

flyingscot47... What about longer than usual visits with your family in Ca.? I don't know how old your grandson is but I would imagine being able to visit Scotland would be wonderful and interesting. Plus, it would be something the two of you could share.

I can understand not feeling comfortable leaving the services you have and coming to the unknown.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:36 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Has anyone heard from Wisteria or NancytheReader?? Missing their posts! How about Knoxgarden??

Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 AM

35 posts, read 69,533 times
Is anyone aware of any cooperative living initiatives going on in Maine?

This may sound a bit weird, but as I think about planning for retirement I find myself wishing for an opportunity to share the experience with others in more concrete ways. Let me explain - I've always been single and have lived alone most of my adult life. Although I like having the freedom to live and do as I like I often find myself yearning toward more sharing daily life with some one or a group of someones. I'm not talking necessarily about a "significant other" relationship as much as a more communal living arrangement in which the cost, decisions and activities of daily living are shared more directly with others. Having been alone most of my life I am not eager to grow old alone also. I am thinking of this not from the "someone to take care of me" perspective. I am more interested in the "sharing experiences of daily life" perspective.

Anyone else have similar thoughts? Any ideas about how to pursue such an arrangement?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Gal coming home View Post
Is anyone aware of any cooperative living initiatives going on in Maine?
It's cohousing not a coop, but Belfast Cohousing may interest you. it would really interest me if it weren't in Maine.
Belfast Cohousing & Ecovillage

Old 07-26-2011, 01:07 PM

230 posts, read 408,919 times
we have them here in Madison, WI too... in case you want to retire here They are becoming more common. I think a lot of people feel as you do. Often a spouse is left behind due to an early death, etc. and they find themselves in the same boat. It's nice to see places cropping up to fill the need. You buy in, and there are communal areas, yet you have your own space too. I like the sound of it personally.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
"In the beginning", when this thread was first starting, I think communal living was discussed quite a bit. Many of us were in the same boat -- alone, wanting to move "somewhere", not sure where, but with an eye toward frugality -- and there was some talk of getting together. It sounded like a wonderful idea! But alas, everyone had different priorities and timing....some had houses they couldn't sell at the time. It's nice that many of us still pop in now and then to keep in touch. (No, I haven't heard from Wisteria or Nancythereader either though....hopefully they'll update us soon.)

As for me, I like the idea of group living -- in the 90's, I participated in a group rental at the Jersey shore for a few summers. It was fun in the morning when everyone would get together and have coffee in the family room, rehash the previous night's events, etc. I was an only child, so I never experienced anything like that. At my age now, though, I think I'm too set in my ways to live in that type of setting anymore, though I'm not sure if that's how the concept of communal living works. Would be interesting to know the differences between that, and senior or assisted-living communities.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:10 PM

35 posts, read 69,533 times
One aspect of the cohousing arrangements that really appeals to me is the multi-generational aspect of it. You are not surronded only by Seniors but by children, teen agers, couples, young singles etc. I think that type of stimulus is very appealing.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
One aspect of the cohousing arrangements that really appeals to me is the multi-generational aspect of it. You are not surronded only by Seniors but by children, teen agers, couples, young singles etc. I think that type of stimulus is very appealing.
I think so too. And a little bit of frustration, and having to adjust, keeps us younger and more flexible.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
LOL--I thought so too, until I recently moved to a great neighborhood that is also a family neighborhood. The kids next door, when they are home this summer, are driving me batty! They are loud as all getout, and they have a pool that borders my fence, so you can imagine the nonstop noise when they're in it with their friends. Also a basketball hoop near my fence. And lots of friends over. Now I love kids and all, but I'm at a stage where this kind of stuff is shorting my patience. Thankfully now they're away at camp . I'm not at all sure that I would want to live in multigenerational cohousing, but then again, I wouldn't want to be with just oldsters either!

Old 07-27-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
we have them here in Madison, WI too... in case you want to retire here They are becoming more common. I think a lot of people feel as you do. Often a spouse is left behind due to an early death, etc. and they find themselves in the same boat. It's nice to see places cropping up to fill the need. You buy in, and there are communal areas, yet you have your own space too. I like the sound of it personally.
Cohousing, at least in New England, is NOT cheap. Small units can go for well over $200-260K, then you have to pay taxes, insurance, and monthly cohousing fees. Plus, in many, do KP duty on a regular basis. I see land-based cohousing that younger families are buying into in rural areas and wonder where they're getting the money to buy in at such high costs. I would want to be with folks in my own socioeconomic strata, not with trust fund or wealthier folks who can up the fees without much trouble for them. And families with kids generally do want to raise taxes, so their kids can get all kinds of community/school benefits that seniors no longer need or want. Cohousing around here "screens" applicants carefully to make sure they match the "right profile."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.