Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 01:29 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I really don't know what a monsoon is, I think of India when I hear that word. Sounds grave. What is it and when does it occur? Flooding?
We get them in NM (hopefully.) It's sun in the morning, usually a hard rain in the afternoon, then sun again. You need to get up early if you want to hike in the mountains. No fun to be caught in them because they can be a torrential downpour with thunder and lightning. Not fun at 11,000 elevation!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Not to change the subject but...I was curious about the weather/temp elsewhere today and saw that in central Arizona the temp is 106 today and over 110 for the rest of the week, as high as 112. I would be toast, I mean dead on my feet, unless I hid away in an air conditioned room. How do you Southwest ladies handle this kind of heat? Do you stay inside?
I'm a SW lady but we don't get those kind of temps in Santa Fe. I'd melt too. We usually are in the high 80s--low 90s. I stay out of the sun from 12-2 (or 3 or 4) because at this elevation (7,000) it is intense. It cools down to the 50-60s at night so I work outside in the mornings before it heats up. When my tree gets big enough to shade my hammock I'll be hanging out there instead of inside. As long as you're not in the direct sun it doesn't feel that hot. In the shade with the low humidty and moderate temps it's perfect for reading a book, watching birds, and enjoying the plants in my garden. Sometimes I get fooled and think I can work in the garden and quickly realize I need to get back in the shade. Tough life.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:59 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I'm a SW lady but we don't get those kind of temps in Santa Fe. I'd melt too. We usually are in the high 80s--low 90s. I stay out of the sun from 12-2 (or 3 or 4) because at this elevation (7,000) it is intense. It cools down to the 50-60s at night so I work outside in the mornings before it heats up. When my tree gets big enough to shade my hammock I'll be hanging out there instead of inside. As long as you're not in the direct sun it doesn't feel that hot. In the shade with the low humidty and moderate temps it's perfect for reading a book, watching birds, and enjoying the plants in my garden. Sometimes I get fooled and think I can work in the garden and quickly realize I need to get back in the shade. Tough life.
Sounds lovely. I do wish we would cool down at night and that is the only thing I miss about northern CA.

We do manage to go out and about and just got back from an errand. You just go a little slower in the heat of the day. I do notice the wind is picking up now and I do love the monsoon sky.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:34 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
heard on the news PHX had another big dust storm a few days ago...

Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 PM

419 posts, read 758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Wow and WOW! What a fast & furious journey That cat episode could have gone terribly wrong - glad it didn't. Does your realtor work in MN and CO? She sounds like a real gem. Perhaps you can talk your friend into moving to AZ? At the very least I bet she will be visiting. That is how it goes though - just when you find that perfect friend, DR, or whatever, it's move time. Best at your new location
Yes, the journey was fast & furious. Years ago facing some problems that I just didn't know how to solve I learned to "Let go and let God". Once I learned to do that I felt a thousand pound weight being lifted off of my shoulders. In addition, I have felt for many years that I have a guardian angel traveling with me. I do not think it was me who consciously decided to pound on that carrier. I think some force told me to do that. I hope I have not offended you by these comments but felt I needed to share my thoughts.

I do wish that I could send my realtor to you but she is not licensed in MN or CO. She didn't make much money off of this cheap little duplex but she treated me as though I was buying a million dollar home. In choosing her as my realtor, I went to the web site of a large realty co. here in Sun City. Her picture was on there along with many others. I liked her picture, so I called her. From the beginning she was eager to work with me and she sure went beyond the call of duty.

My friend is a TN gal through and through. She would never consider living anywhere else. Like most others in that TN town she was born & raised there and has family history that goes back for generations. She loves cultural events and loves to travel but home is in TN. Her husband is 16 yrs. older than her and not in too good of health. I know she would visit me if she felt she could leave him alone. Probably won't happen anytime soon.

I hope you can make your dream of moving to CO a reality before too long. Are you planning a visit to CO anytime soon?

Thank you for the best wishes that you have sent my way.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:16 PM

23 posts, read 33,383 times
Smile Live in Vancouver Washington

Greetings

Looking to move to Arizona and would like to know what are the best areas to live that has a diverse group of people and age. Lived in Vancouver for a year with my daughter to help with her busines, but things have changed and she sold the business and is going to work with her son who is going professional.

I decided to move back towards California but not in California where I retired 2011. I have never lived on my own and single, it has always been raising children and grandchildren. I'm done and what to live on my own and yet when I want to see them I can visit. The majority of my family is in California and she is the only member in Vancouver, Washington. I'm excited and yet concern because I will be 65 this year and medical is important to me (no I'm not sick) to keep upon my physical exams and the medicare supplements is crazy. When I retired as a salary person in 2011, there is no medical coverage for me. I had medical exam and workups before retiring and I'm good to go. But by fall I will need to be exam again.

I want to live in an area of Arizona that is not all retirees like I said before I like a mix of ages. I want to work part-time, live in a safe area should I go out at night and church which will be my biggest interest. Movies, theater plays and etc. I'm alive and want to live the life God has given me. I just want your thoughts of the areas, medical, dental and anyother information I would need.

Thank you

Old 06-19-2012, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,269 times
Default Retiring alone

Like you, I will be retiring alone and relocating. I am looking for a warm climate but want to stay away from areas that have tornadoes and hurricanes. That is a "tall" order! California has been on my radar and I am curious to know why you are planning to leave that area. The high cost of California real estate is a deterrent to me, however, I would love to hear other reasons why I might not want to move there.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,808,197 times
Motley Crew, Oakland, then Concord is where we lived in northern CA.

Alexa9, would enjoy living back near Piedmont, CA, shops, deli, public transportation though costs, especially rents are high. Living on the Olympic Peninsula, WA, our family moved here 18 years ago. Living alone, large home, yard, desire
a smaller place. Thinking of TN, KY, MO? NC, south of Asheville, icy roads or so I read, in the wintertime.

SCBaker, thank you for sharing your thoughts; needed to be reminded Let Go and Let God.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:42 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Motley Crew, Oakland, then Concord is where we lived in northern CA.

Alexa9, would enjoy living back near Piedmont, CA, shops, deli, public transportation though costs, especially rents are high. Living on the Olympic Peninsula, WA, our family moved here 18 years ago. Living alone, large home, yard, desire
a smaller place. Thinking of TN, KY, MO? NC, south of Asheville, icy roads or so I read, in the wintertime.

SCBaker, thank you for sharing your thoughts; needed to be reminded Let Go and Let God.
Echo that sentiment, SCBaker! Whatever we choose to call it, I have to believe a higher power has been in my corner all along; even when I've been at my lowest. (I also know those low points are far from done!)

sera, yes - some of the hills and winding roads in Asheville and t/o that geographic area can get icy...but not enough to deter most. My friends in NC, TN, VA & KY are all still working save for a few. They just wait it out which doesn't take long, and some municipalities have adequate road crews to keep things moving. I figure anything has to be better than the freezing winters (& rediculous taxes) of upstate NY!!!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstay1929 View Post
... I want to live in an area of Arizona that is not all retirees like I said before I like a mix of ages. ...
Perhaps Tempe, outside of Phoenix. It's a college town so it certainly wouldn't be all retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement