Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 11:21 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I thought you were moving back to Indiana? Curious, what reasons for Michigan (only if you want to tell!).
I haven't made my decision where to move yet. I have ~ 5 more years....till I'm 66. Would love to retire early...

Old 07-21-2012, 11:25 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Goodness. Did you only read Wisteria's original post (from September 2007)??
Not much more than that....just stumbled in here and don't have time to read > 5,000 posts. Figured my retirement research *might* be interesting to others as I assumed Wisteria had made a decision and moved on by now- just used the opening post as a general reference to the ongoing decisions that single women have to make, which I assume is still relevant in 2012. I am curious about what Wisteria ended up doing and if I get time later, I will search her posts.

Thanks for your response!

Old 07-21-2012, 01:06 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIrishly View Post
It's been months since I've posted here, so lots of catch up to do in reading. But I thought I'd jump in for a bit and say that I *finally* bought a house on the other side of the US from here--in the most unlikely place for me to ever go: Flint, Michigan.

Truth be told, I'm going there for the house. I hate big cities, prefer the country absolutely, but the $2000 price tag on the Tudor fixer just captured me and held me prisoner until I negotiated a deal and paid for it (yes, you're reading that right, it's not a typo--I paid TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS for this beautiful 2000sqft, two story with attic and full basement Tudor house built in 1922, sitting on a well-groomed corner lot in what looks to be a nice clean neighborhood). Nevermind that I don't know anything about Flint, or Michigan, though I've done some homework and have a better idea of where I'm going.

The place is a fixer, just like Flint is a fixer after GM went bust. It's in dire need of restoration after its windows were all broken out and every fixture and scrap of copper stolen--i.e. wiring and accessible plumbing. Overall, though, the house is not in that bad of shape, and with a little professional help replacing windows and wiring, there is not that much else that I can't do myself. The roof is sound, the house very solid, and dare I say elegant even in its state of disrespect. If this house were anywhere else in the US of A, it would be worth a fortune. But because it is in Flint with it's extremely depressed economy (more than half of the city left when GM and other plants went bust) there are more houses than there are families to occupy them. If there ever was an unbelievable buyers market, Flint is the place.

This house is not the only one with such a giveaway price tag. There are literally hundreds of places available for next to nothing, and some of them are exceptional dwellings with style and grace. Granted, the extreme poverty of the area has increased crime a thousandfold, but one would think that if enough good people that had the means to live there without having a job for support could help the city re-imagine and rebuild itself into a better place.

So I'm leaving the farm here in Dairyville California and heading to Flint to restore one piece of that city. I'll record that epic here as it unfolds if that's okay with everyone. I'll even post pics of the future home before, during and after restoration (though I figure that is going to take some time and may never be truly finished *LOL*)

If anyone who lives in Flint reads this, if you have any suggestions of private contractors or skilled out-of-work good peeps that I can hire to help me, I'd *really* appreciate it!

Good for you!!! I find your spirit and challenge inspiring. Would love to hear how it goes for you.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:11 PM

172 posts, read 251,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Not much more than that....just stumbled in here and don't have time to read > 5,000 posts. Figured my retirement research *might* be interesting to others as I assumed Wisteria had made a decision and moved on by now- just used the opening post as a general reference to the ongoing decisions that single women have to make, which I assume is still relevant in 2012. I am curious about what Wisteria ended up doing and if I get time later, I will search her posts.

Thanks for your response!
Different Drum, thank you for posting! I only joined this forum a week or so ago & was very interested to see this thread, as I am in much the same boat myself: single, childless, hoping to retire in a few years.

I've thought a lot about leaving Colorado, going someplace with a lower cost of living so I can get more bang for my buck. But the more I read about other places the more I appreciate CO. We have lots of sunshine, 4 seasons, low humidity, the winters are not too bad - even when it snows it usually melts within a couple days. We also don't have a lot of bugs such as mosquitoes or fleas. Fleas don't really thrive in this dry climate, which is a very good thing for those of us with pets!

Denver is a thriving city, & right in our backyard are the gorgeous Rocky Mountains.

Not that I've totally ruled out the possibility of one day moving, but the more I think about it the more I realize how lucky I am to live here.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a Chamber of Commerce ad But for those of you thinking of moving here, this state really does have a lot to offer.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 7,585 times
I have been reading city-data forums off and on for ages and now it is time to use the collective knowledge.

I am 57, not sure I can keep working at my current job for another ten years but plan on least another five. I own a co-op (a NY housing option that I would never do again) which I bought about four years ago, prices were going down, but oh then went further. Finances and cost of living here in suburban New York are $$$. I plan to live elsewhere where quality of life is higher and cost of living cheaper for my golden years (should that read silver?).

From 18 on I had the opportunity to live/work in NY, VA, OR, NC, TN, OH, VT and Thailand - I moved back to NY at 40 for family reasons. So I know that you can have a higher quality of life at a lower cost of living.

Access to a major airport (I like to travel) and great public transport appeal to me. I have always had a jones for water living and have managed to live only on a major river or close to the coast. There is a vitality that seems to come with water (did that sound too crunchy granola?). I was looking to get away from cold winters and snow and can take heat, though not thrilled constant humidity. Atlanta has much of what I am looking for, but it is missing that river or coast near by and they have water issues in general.

The other glitch is that when reviewing my Social Security Annual Statement (one of the most depressing documents known to man) I realize my early gypsy years of moving around and working in the arts -- didn't pay too terribly well and that SS uses your highest 35 earning years to calculate what you will be paid. So I was hoping to transition, in about five years, sell my co-op, sell many of my belonging, move to a new state, start a new job and work until I don't want to work.

All friends think this crazy - saying you will never find work, blah, blah, blah... No one will hire you - you are too old... etc. I am looking for a reality check. I currently work at a college in student affairs.
thanks,
LA in NY

Old 07-21-2012, 02:24 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBinkies View Post
Different Drum, thank you for posting! I only joined this forum a week or so ago & was very interested to see this thread, as I am in much the same boat myself: single, childless, hoping to retire in a few years.

I've thought a lot about leaving Colorado, going someplace with a lower cost of living so I can get more bang for my buck. But the more I read about other places the more I appreciate CO. We have lots of sunshine, 4 seasons, low humidity, the winters are not too bad - even when it snows it usually melts within a couple days. We also don't have a lot of bugs such as mosquitoes or fleas. Fleas don't really thrive in this dry climate, which is a very good thing for those of us with pets!

Denver is a thriving city, & right in our backyard are the gorgeous Rocky Mountains.

Not that I've totally ruled out the possibility of one day moving, but the more I think about it the more I realize how lucky I am to live here.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a Chamber of Commerce ad But for those of you thinking of moving here, this state really does have a lot to offer.
Yea - a fellow CO fan! Stay in CO - travel to these other places you are interested in - at least, that's what I plan to do. I lived in Centennial '92-'94 for work and then was transferred back but I always wondered if I made the right decision to move back to MN. I always knew I'd end up back in CO - somewhere.

Tell me your thoughts on the Stapleton area.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
But the more I read about other places the more I appreciate CO.
By the way, I didn't mean this as a put-down of other places. EVERY state has good & bad things about it. I only meant that in my case I'm starting to realize that the grass might not be all that much greener on the other side

Old 07-21-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Yea - a fellow CO fan! Stay in CO - travel to these other places you are interested in - at least, that's what I plan to do. I lived in Centennial '92-'94 for work and then was transferred back but I always wondered if I made the right decision to move back to MN. I always knew I'd end up back in CO - somewhere.

Tell me your thoughts on the Stapleton area.
Hello Umbria, nice to make your acquaintance! I see you live in MN? Funny, that's one of the places I've thought of moving to . But I think you're right, staying here in CO & traveling to other places for vacations might be the best idea.

You know, I haven't been to the Stapleton area since the airport moved. I live in Lakewood & don't get out much. But from what I've read it seems like a terrific place! A nice mixture of different housing styles, from single family houses to condos. And a nice mixture of people also, of different ages & races. At least that's the impression I have of it. I think it was also developed to be more walkable than some of the other housing developments. Also, have not heard about much crime there. Wouldn't mind living there myself when I retire!

Old 07-21-2012, 04:58 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Hello Umbria, nice to make your acquaintance! I see you live in MN? Funny, that's one of the places I've thought of moving to . But I think you're right, staying here in CO & traveling to other places for vacations might be the best idea.

You know, I haven't been to the Stapleton area since the airport moved. I live in Lakewood & don't get out much. But from what I've read it seems like a terrific place! A nice mixture of different housing styles, from single family houses to condos. And a nice mixture of people also, of different ages & races. At least that's the impression I have of it. I think it was also developed to be more walkable than some of the other housing developments. Also, have not heard about much crime there. Wouldn't mind living there myself when I retire!
Have you spent much time in MN? And if so, where? I have to admit that MN has many good things too, in fact, I have 2 spots here in Edina I have picked out that are walkable and fun areas that I would move to IF something would happen that I couln't move ~~~but that IS NOT going to happen

I looked in Lakewood when I was moving to the Denver area the first time - nice area.

I look at homes in Stapleton (online) almost daily and although I really like the concept - walkable with shops etc..., the prices are up there and the SF is much less than you would get at many other locations in the Denver suburbs. I've looked at many of the "hot" spots in Denver proper and the prices are quite high and the SF is very small.

Of course, we can all move in with LC and problem solved ().

You are right about the bugs (hate bugs) - friends came to visit when I was there before. We went out to dinner and then came back to my house and sat on the patio (open) and talked. One of the guys was talking, stopped, and said "Where are the bugs! In MN we'd be eaten alive sitting out here." Very very nice. On days like today when it's very hot & humid I often think of your lovely dry weather.

I will look you up when I make a trip out.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,807,201 times
Umbria, Understand the mosquito is the state bird ! DH born and raised in Duluth.

Bunny, Each of us are exploring the idea of moving or staying where we are. As you know, the grass is always greener though it still has to be mowed. If where you are living, appreciating where you are-congradulations !

LA in NY, Folks think I am nuts considering the idea of moving. Think I would like to be closer to an airport than 2 hours away. May just stay put though think I would like to live in a college town. Did start a Thread about Starting over in
City-Data. Am a recent widow, the home and acre + is just too much, at least for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.