Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 03:31 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I grew up in Lafayette, Indiana. It has a great university (Purdue) with lots of educational and cultural opportunities. I've posted several times on the subject of the area and what it has to offer. I moved to south Florida immediately upon graduating from Purdue and have been down here for 40+ years. I miss the friendliness, less congestion, more 'American' aspects of the area. I hope to make a road trip up there this summer. I have no family in the area.

This is a link to all my posts about Lafayette, IN: //www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=11306693
My link does not seem to be working. Just go to: search.....advanced search.....postings about Lafayette, Indiana in the Retirement forum by popcorn247

Old 05-27-2014, 03:49 PM

130 posts, read 297,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've never been there, but I have a client who moved from here to there with her husband, a doctor, and they really like it. Purdue is a big draw. It seems like a stable Midwest college/U town with lots of nice affordable housing. I also think it may be north of the typical "tornado" line. I'm visiting her this year I hope. The Midwest seems to be overlooked for a retirement location, with all the focus on the South, MidAtlantic, and West Coast.

Just my 2 cents on Charlottesville and Savannah -

Visited Savannah College of Art in a summer month and it was so hot and humid I nearly fainted. A friend who goes there on occasion tells me the crime rate is high, so check that out.

C'ville ~ seriously explored in 2007. A real college town with downtown jammed with college students, a little much when we were there (it was some big weekend for something and we couldn't get a hotel within the city limits). My sister lived there a few years when her DH was in the military. She said it can get insufferably hot in the summer months. We found the inner-city driving to be congested and not all that easy to get around now, let alone old(er) age. The one thing that I was really impressed with was the senior center, quite a place, almost like a college, within the city limits, and seemingly lots of senior housing.

Lafayette, IN apartment (one of many on Craigslist): Gorgeous 2 bed, 2 bath with fireplace and carport
- - - - - - -

I am forever bewildered by all the choices I have to make.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
- - - - - - -

I am forever bewildered by all the choices I have to make.
If you're in reasonably good health, the sooner the better (?)

Do you know anyone at all in any of the locations you're considering?

Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 PM

For those of you still looking for your place to retire, here is a link to several videos about Lafayette, IN - West Lafayette, IN.

Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette, Indiana

Old 06-09-2014, 02:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
For those of you still looking for your place to retire, here is a link to several videos about Lafayette, IN - West Lafayette, IN.

Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette, Indiana
When are you moving back?

Old 06-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
When are you moving back?
Retire - Sell house- move

Old 06-16-2014, 05:02 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,594 times
Minervaaaahhhh!!!!!! Where are you? Did you make it okay?

Anyone hear how her relocation is going?

Old 06-22-2014, 12:39 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,057 times
Smile Shout out to Wisteria

I tried to call you. Hope you are well and I look forward to hearing how you and DD are doing !

I found this cool link to tiny (mobile) housing and thought I'd share it here. I know stuff like it has been shared before, so hopefully this isn't an exact repeat ! I think it's too small for my current needs, but it would be great as a second home or for snowbirding :

This Lady Got Fed Up Of Divorce And Mortgages, So She Decided To Do THIS. | SF Globe

Old 06-22-2014, 12:58 PM

292 posts, read 358,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I tried to call you. Hope you are well and I look forward to hearing how you and DD are doing !

I found this cool link to tiny (mobile) housing and thought I'd share it here. I know stuff like it has been shared before, so hopefully this isn't an exact repeat ! I think it's too small for my current needs, but it would be great as a second home or for snowbirding :

This Lady Got Fed Up Of Divorce And Mortgages, So She Decided To Do THIS. | SF Globe
The Tiny Houses are intriguing. Can anyone comment on the benefit of one of these over an RV? To me, it doesn't look quite as towable if one were to consider retiring either as a snowbird or perpetual travels.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:45 PM

95 posts, read 228,605 times
C'ville ~ seriously explored in 2007. A real college town with downtown jammed with college students, a little much when we were there (it was some big weekend for something and we couldn't get a hotel within the city limits). My sister lived there a few years when her DH was in the military. She said it can get insufferably hot in the summer months. We found the inner-city driving to be congested and not all that easy to get around now, let alone old(er) age. The one thing that I was really impressed with was the senior center, quite a place, almost like a college, within the city limits, and seemingly lots of senior housing.

Is this "Charlottesville, VA" you are talking about? I'm going there in August to see about the area.

Also, to the person who posted that small, portable house, I love the looks of them, but the thing that concerns me as I get older is that I'd have to take steps up to a bed, and some of them appear more than 1 or 2 steps... any one have any experience with the steps or climbing to get to the bed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.